Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using Wasserstein solar panel to charge my Pro 2 but seeing red charging icon? What does it mean?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I am using Wasserstein solars panel for charging my Arlo Pro 2 cameras. They seem to work fine.

I have occasionally noticed the red charging icon below. What does it mean?

Note: I live in Arizona, and it's only 102 degrees today. (most days in summer it can be 110+)  Is this anything to be concerned about?

Capture aa.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it could be an issue with the use of a 3rd party charger, I'd guess it's a heat issue. Is the camera in direct sunlight? That would tend to heat the camera more than in the shade and then there's the issue of an AC-powered camera always running so generating more heat itself than a battery-operated one would.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Solar panels produce less power when hot, so that might also be a factor.

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where the green battery symbol is on bottom left corner, one of my cameras has a red charging symbol. What does this mean?
GregyHowell
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same red charging icon on my cameras. The cameras aren't under the direct sun light and it is still under 15 degree Celsius thus it's nothing to do with the heat. Surprisingly no comment from Arlo.. disappointed.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GregyHowell wrote:
I have the same red charging icon on my cameras.

The red color doesn't mean there's a problem.

@JamesC  wrote:
The red icon with the lightning bolt is an indication that a charger is connected but no actual charging is taking place. In these cases, it means your solar panel is connected and functioning correctly but it's not charging the camera (likely because it's not in direct sunlight or it's night time). We're working on getting our documentation update to reflect this new icon behavior.

FWIW, I think this UI change is confusing - particularly when a solar panel is used.  Also, I don't think red is a good color for something that is a normal status.

dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've got one setup that seems to act problematic displaying the red icon too, so I was definitely wondering. I've given up on Arlo. They don't trigger reliably, and that seems to only have gotten worse over time. I'm slowly migrating to Eufy.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The red battery icon with lightning bolt is now correct when a solar panel is connected and the battery is full. It's a new UI change but the docs have to still be updated to reflect this change.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation