Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Ronni1974
Tutor
Tutor

Hi every one.
I have a problem that I can not get the base station to record on my inserted hard drive.

The app shows that an external hard drive is connected, and under Local Story, it shows Green and is ready. However, the recordings are not on the disc.

I've tried both with a 500GB hard drive and an 8GB USB stick. But nothing works. The usb connector has worked fine with an early owner of the system.?

I have connected all my camcorders to direct power, and I subscribe to CVR 24/7 Filming. Maybe that may be the problem. ??

Or maybe it could have reached the format to do.? The USB Stick is formatted under FAT32 ..?

Hope you can help me...??

Many kind regards, Ronni.

36 REPLIES 36
Sc10n86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Local storage says it’s ready. Have reformatted the harddrive more than once and yet the recordings are NOT being saved when the internet goes down. NOT A CHANCE IN HELL will I upgrade to the 4k base station with zero usb support rendering my 1.5TB harddrive useless as the new one only supports a memory card (what an absolutely IGNORANT decision!!) rather frustrated with the system and the lack of support. Not to mention the separate issue of one camera not even recording unless I disarm then rearm my system every single day. You can count on me moving to a CCTV system or god forbid paying RING...yes the competitor for a product that actually does what it says it will. Won’t be recommending ANY Arlo products to my customers (cable guy who also installs our own security systems) from here on out. You all dropped the ball, then left the gym intierly by not resolving these issues in over a year and now screwing your previous customers out of their USB drives on the new 4k system. Have fun getting left in the dust by the Competition!
Dannybear
Master
Master
Well I have not seen anything further from support to when or if this issue is expected to be fixed.

I guess I could subscribe to an arlo plan and see if that will make the local storage work correctly with loss of internet, but which one I wonder???
Leeroymc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I wouldn't put more money into the problem while arlo is silent...
Leeroymc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo rewarded me with 5 points for responding in community blogs I would to trade these valuable points in for a fix to offline recording fault please.
FTiffany
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a solution to 1 second recordings on a USB flash drive when the internet is disconnected???? 

I have the same problems as described by others on this thread, and I need a system that can record 10 sec clips when motion is detected with an internet connection not available.  Everything works fine while the internet is connected, but as soon as I isolate the base from the internet it records clips that are approximately 1 second in duration.  I will need to return this system if this feature will not work, because this 'offline' feature is the main reason I went with Arlo.

ARLO TECH SUPPORT - - PLEASE HELP!

Dannybear
Master
Master
Makes me wonder if there’s a lack of operational budget to get things fixed for the pro 2 product.
They seem to have a project budget for the Ultra product as I can see that the new ultra base firmware is updated regularly.
It was interesting to note that level 2 support ignored my request for a case number to be assigned to me for this specific issue. I didn’t press the issue at the time as I had four other outstanding issues and thought they had enough on their plate.
I wonder if the ultra platform has the same issue. If not then this is a good way to make you upgrade I guess.
SolarDude
Star
Star

I still have this same issue where my Arlo Pro 2 cameras will not record video footage when it looses its connection to the internet. It only records 1 second of footage and then stops recording. 

I cant believe they can not or for some reason will not fix this very important flaw in the system. 

Frustrating!!!!!

Dannybear
Master
Master
I revisited this issue on my system and confirmed that the base station will still record full length videos while the base internet light is active after it is disconnected from the internet.
After that it records videos of one or two seconds but mainly just 2kB size files.
Sounding more like it is not an issue, just working as designed.
SolarDude
Star
Star

Interesting. 

Maybe something engineering could look into if they would listen to us.

Dannybear
Master
Master
I have worked in companies where engineering and operations are always at odds. The project engineers hand over the new products to the fault support team that has to manage their design deficiencies. This is a common culture especially come budget time. The project engineers rarely budget in whole of life contingency as to do so would get them laughed out of the boardroom.

Any way the devil is in the detail, extract from the Arlo Pro 2 manual....

“The USB storage device cannot be used on its own as a substitute for cloud recording.”

And.....

“If the camera and base station are powered on, but the Internet connection is lost, the camera continues to record to the USB storage device.”

So what it says is technically correct, the camera continues to record to the USB while recording, just that any subsequent recordings are not considered.
The interpretation of “lost internet connection” can also mean, lost connection to the arlo server. Food for thought.

milton_mike
Guide
Guide

I have a VMB4000R3 base station with firmware 1.12.2.0_2794  with a Western Digital 1TB usb3.0 drive connected.

On my iPhone Arlo app (v2.7.7) the External storage shows Ready, USB Device Status shows GOOD with available storage showing 582.42GB/931.25GB.

I click on Safely Eject USB Device then unplug the drive. I then plug the drive into my Windows 10 (Home version) laptop and the drive letter does not appear. I tried another windows laptop - same thing, the drive connects but there's no drive letter. I plug the drive into an iMac and I can read the files - disk info shows FAT32 format and a name of "NO NAME". On iMac there's a mixed bag of responses. Some files play and some files give a QuickTime error - what's up with that?

I plugged the drive back into the Arlo base and the iPhone app shows all is well.

1) Anyone know why the drive isn't recognized by Windows 10?

2) Anyone know why some files work fine, some have audio but no video and some cause QT errors?

3) Are there any know problems with using USB3.0 harddrives as the local storage device?

Thanks in advance!

4rl
Aspirant
Aspirant
FTiffany...I was wondering...have you gotten any response from Arlo? I'm having the exact same issue as you
Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation