Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extension cord question

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
I want to mount my camera outside on my garage. I’m going to drill a hole through garage side so I can plug in to an outlet and not have to worry about batteries running low. If I’m a few feet short, can I use a regular extension cord from the Arlo cord to the outlet?
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, infact that would be the preferred method. USB extension cables have the issue of wire size causing voltage/current drops as the distance increases so using a regular extension cord resolves that issue completely.

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat wrote:

Yes, infact that would be the preferred method. USB extension cables have the issue of wire size causing voltage/current drops as the distance increases so using a regular extension cord resolves that issue completely.

I guess my only concern is this, is the supplied wire only intended for indoor use? and if so I think it may be an issue with water/rain getting into the connection site where it plugs into the camera????

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The indoor power supply does not have a seal to keep moisture out of the camera connection. The outdoor power supply does. You can be creative to seal the connection yourself but it may void your warranty.

elykoj
Tutor
Tutor
So if it can be used outdoors why don’t they supply an outdoor cable??
Dannybear
Master
Master
The will sell you one but it is only black in colour.😀
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And then there's the folks who have issue with the cameras being white. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation