Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Geofencing still has known Battery Drain? Any other workarounds?

Discussion stats
Mstockwell
Aspirant
Aspirant

New user - Arlo Pro 2, base unit with 7 cams. Android Pie 9.0, and Arlo app version 2.10.0_26060. Geofencing is destroying my Note 10+ battery, Phone has been off charger for 8 hours, Arlo app has 8 hours of active time and has consumed over 40% of my battery. Just wanted to throw it out there, the app updates have not corrected this drain issue.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Speedvagen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue where the battery drain on my Samsung S10 is crazy.  For example, for the last week, Arlo was active for 3 days and 9 hours.  Basically for almost half of the week, the Arlo app was active.   For background, it was 1 minute for that same week.

The only plus is that my Geofencing has been pretty spot on.  Works like a charm 95% of the time.

Weird thing is that my wife has a Samsung S10+ and she doesn't have the same battery drain issue that I have.  But Arlo is not recognizing her phone in Geofencing. 

So my Geofencing is great = crazy battery drain

Her Goefencing is horrible = no crazy battery drain

SlimViking
Tutor
Tutor
With latest software (2.11.1_26070) 22/11-2019 My Geofencing battery drain problem Fix.
Only 0.2% on 10 hour! On my S9.
Thanks Arlo..
Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Ronnas
Tutor
Tutor
Same observation here, and the geofencing trigger is working as supposed to! Finally!
Speedvagen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the update as well but it has made a difference on my Samsung S10 battery.

NBAJ2K
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently purchased the Arlo 2 with 4 cameras and wanted to set it so that when I'm home it only detects motion at the front door but when both my wife and I are away it detects motion at all doors. Geofencing seems to work however it seems there's quite a bit of battery drain on my phone when it's set.

I searched through the forums and see quite a few older threads referencing that, but wanted to see if it's still a known issue. I'm debating returning the system because of this since I'm currently in the return window but was trying to find a solution. As others have also mentioned in not sure why Arlo doesn't use being connected to WiFi as the trigger instead. I tried out the IFTTT app using the Arlo "recipe" but that only seems to work to completely arm or disarm (not leave 1 camera notification on), and also wouldn't work to consider if my wife is home but I'm not.

Any different solutions for this, or are others still having issues too?

Thanks,
J
Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Geofencing does pull from the phones battery.... it keeps polling to know where the phone is.

Just the way it works ( just like using a live map )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NBAJ2K
Aspirant
Aspirant
I understand it's going to drain some, but just seems excessive. If it used SSID for the phone being connected to the network instead I'd think it would be a lot less drain.