Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
FreakyPriest
Guide
Guide

I was so happy when Netgear finally solved the issue with the persistant notification "Geofencing is enabled". Now, we can just block this message from appearing without impacting other notifications from Arlo that we still need. Nevertheless, since then I noticed that the Arlo App is heavily draining my phones battery as long as geofencing is enabled.

Even if the app is running in the background and is not actively being used (means not checking notifications or watch recordings) it drains up to 20% of my phones battery in just 4 hours. This cannot be normal. After switching to schedule mode, the battery drain stops. It is clearly related to geofencing mode.

Phones tested: OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 6 (same issue)

Android Version: 9

107 REPLIES 107
Mstockwell
Aspirant
Aspirant

New user - Arlo Pro 2, base unit with 7 cams. Android Pie 9.0, and Arlo app version 2.10.0_26060. Geofencing is destroying my Note 10+ battery, Phone has been off charger for 8 hours, Arlo app has 8 hours of active time and has consumed over 40% of my battery. Just wanted to throw it out there, the app updates have not corrected this drain issue.

Speedvagen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue where the battery drain on my Samsung S10 is crazy.  For example, for the last week, Arlo was active for 3 days and 9 hours.  Basically for almost half of the week, the Arlo app was active.   For background, it was 1 minute for that same week.

The only plus is that my Geofencing has been pretty spot on.  Works like a charm 95% of the time.

Weird thing is that my wife has a Samsung S10+ and she doesn't have the same battery drain issue that I have.  But Arlo is not recognizing her phone in Geofencing. 

So my Geofencing is great = crazy battery drain

Her Goefencing is horrible = no crazy battery drain

SlimViking
Tutor
Tutor
With latest software (2.11.1_26070) 22/11-2019 My Geofencing battery drain problem Fix.
Only 0.2% on 10 hour! On my S9.
Thanks Arlo..
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Same observation here, and the geofencing trigger is working as supposed to! Finally!
Speedvagen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the update as well but it has made a difference on my Samsung S10 battery.

NBAJ2K
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently purchased the Arlo 2 with 4 cameras and wanted to set it so that when I'm home it only detects motion at the front door but when both my wife and I are away it detects motion at all doors. Geofencing seems to work however it seems there's quite a bit of battery drain on my phone when it's set.

I searched through the forums and see quite a few older threads referencing that, but wanted to see if it's still a known issue. I'm debating returning the system because of this since I'm currently in the return window but was trying to find a solution. As others have also mentioned in not sure why Arlo doesn't use being connected to WiFi as the trigger instead. I tried out the IFTTT app using the Arlo "recipe" but that only seems to work to completely arm or disarm (not leave 1 camera notification on), and also wouldn't work to consider if my wife is home but I'm not.

Any different solutions for this, or are others still having issues too?

Thanks,
J
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Geofencing does pull from the phones battery.... it keeps polling to know where the phone is.

Just the way it works ( just like using a live map )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NBAJ2K
Aspirant
Aspirant
I understand it's going to drain some, but just seems excessive. If it used SSID for the phone being connected to the network instead I'd think it would be a lot less drain.