Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
FreakyPriest
Guide
Guide

I was so happy when Netgear finally solved the issue with the persistant notification "Geofencing is enabled". Now, we can just block this message from appearing without impacting other notifications from Arlo that we still need. Nevertheless, since then I noticed that the Arlo App is heavily draining my phones battery as long as geofencing is enabled.

Even if the app is running in the background and is not actively being used (means not checking notifications or watch recordings) it drains up to 20% of my phones battery in just 4 hours. This cannot be normal. After switching to schedule mode, the battery drain stops. It is clearly related to geofencing mode.

Phones tested: OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 6 (same issue)

Android Version: 9

107 REPLIES 107
Junkan
Guide
Guide
Excactly!
y3llo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can confirm, battery drain is just as bad as before and geoffencing got worse.
Junkan
Guide
Guide
Total rubbush got a new update yesterday still doesn't work.
It turns off but not on!
How Hard can it be?

I'm thinking of selling my five arlo pro 2 and buying something else.
Tip someone?
Nathanial
Guide
Guide
The support team told me they came out with a new version of the application. However, the issue still remains unchanged. Geofencing still burns mad battery and Arlo shows as running 'active' all the time. I will continue to have to arm and disarm manually. Fix the Android application already Arlo!
arlochris89
Initiate
Initiate
Same thing here. New update and problem persists. Arlo is the #1 battery drainer in my phone.

I am seriously contemplating switching to NEST cameras. Seems a much serious alternative....
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Still have problems with phone battery draining about 1% per hour.

@ShayneS: Any update to share?
FreakyPriest
Guide
Guide

I've given up on geofencing. The schedule has to be enough, now. Will not buy any other Arlo products anymore. That is for sure.

cyberr8der
Guide
Guide

Same here. Folks, the only reason they have these forums is so users can help other users and all their problems stay here. It keeps users away from social media. If you really want answers don't post here. Just post on social media. Go tag them on Twitter, Facebook etc. At least others thinking about buying Arlo products will see the problems and not purchase this ***p.

kimfyrst
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just a heads-up if you want to buy a Nest Cam.....
It continuously record to the cloud, resulting in VERY heavy data use.
A thing to consider, if you do not have unlimited data 😉
PS. I too have battery drain problems, on my Huawei P30 Pro, with geofencing enabled.
y3llo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still experiencing signaificant battery drain with geofencing.  Working well but almost unusable at the current battery drain level.

y3llo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also still can't swipe away geofencing enabled notification, which makes it so I can't swipe away the other 35 motion deteceted notifications... 

DMPellegri21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having the battery drain issue on my Pixel 3XL, has there been any comment since the new update and still draining batteries?

Fleonejr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Geofencing draining on my 6T as well. App also needs a force close every once in a while becouse it says the hub is offline.
gfoiani
Aspirant
Aspirant

Android App also drains battery on my OnePlus 3 with Android 9.

It also takes long time to recognize I entered into the "home" zone, I need to kill the application and restart to force the recognition of the "Home mode".

Junkan
Guide
Guide
Trying IFTTT now instead.
Junkan
Guide
Guide
Ifttt is a bit slower but uses almost no battery at all. Arlo app uses ten times more even without geofencing when IFTTT is handling geofencing. The drawback is that you must use IFTTT for schedueling too.
Junkan
Guide
Guide
Oh I forgot. Arlo app is no longer in top of battery usage when I use IFTTT for geofencing. Phone battery will last 2-3 times longer in standby at least, probably up to 10 times longer.
cyberr8der
Guide
Guide
Arlo is unresponsive as usual. That's why people come here. Hoping other users find a solution. The system would be so much better if they had descent app development.
Lordgilmour
Initiate
Initiate
Same here, number 1 app for battery drain is ridiculous and has been this way for 6 months plus. I manually out my location services in battery saving mode and that stops it (geofencing still works) but have to switch on and off gps when using google maps etc.. This app really is a joke, I have a Canary cam too and that does not drain battery and geofences just fine. So it can be done!!! By a competitor!!
cyberr8der
Guide
Guide
I hear that. Arlo just has crappy Dev. Android dev isn't as complex as they make it seem. Lots of other apps use location and are fine with battery. Think about this, Arlo has never worked right with Android 9. Android 10 is going to be releasing soon.....This app will never work well with the current developer. Don't let your friends buy this system.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
I had updated to Android 10 and didn't have any problems, I have now gone to the latest version of the Android app and I have battery drain.
10 hours active time for a day, Arlo please did this battery drain issue in the new app.
HeadInTheClouds
Initiate
Initiate

New User here - I noticed a similar problem with high battery usage - Samsung Galaxy S9 and Geofencing.

Could we get a fix, please.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @HeadInTheClouds

Which version of the Arlo Mobile App are you using?

HeadInTheClouds
Initiate
Initiate

version 2.9.2_25930

Belafon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, using a Oneplus 3T running LineageOS 16.

My phone has been sitting idle on my desk for most of the last 23 hours, in that time the Arlo app has used up 53% of the battery with 23h active time. I do have geofencing enabled, but still this power usage is insane. As a comparison I have tasker running which has the same active time but only 2% battery usage.

Edit: Running version 2.9.2_26040 of the app