Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android app update Nov 21 broke app!

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
ChrisCC
Guide
Guide
Mike...I've owned them for 2 1/2 years and never really had a problem before... Until the last few updates since October.... But this last update they did on the 21st made them useless..... I'm really disappointed in Arlo now...I use to recommend them to everyone.... No more....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Oh..... That was not there yesterday.... Only the USA..
ljb1143
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did the standard stuff. I reset the Arlo base station, shut the app down and restarted it, uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Each time the app would not start and gave me a brief message like "Arlo app not working". I sent the message to Arlo with my phone status.

I then found a previous build of the app and installed it. Everything worked as usual.
ChrisCC
Guide
Guide
I agree %100..... I've already started shopping around for new cameras.... This is ridiculous....
ChrisCC
Guide
Guide
Only reason I did the factory reset was that I bought the new phone the same day and thought it might have been an issue with the phone...
ChrisCC
Guide
Guide
I opened one yesterday....I was on chat with tech support for an hour..... No luck....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been there all along. Can't speak specifically for yesterday but...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

TricM
Tutor
Tutor

thank you I will do that too.  I have sent emails to support and feedback.

TricM
Tutor
Tutor

Yes Mine is a Galaxy 7 J too.  So something there

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ngmtn
Tutor
Tutor

I hear you. The chat will not work today and you can't even send a contact message. The form just vanishes when the support page loads. Sorta makes one feel abandoned.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's also phone numbers.

bethanon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using a 2018 Samsung Galaxy Tab A to run my Arlo app.  Everything has been fine until an update of the app.  Now it's black with a green bird.  As soon as I launch it says "Arlo has stopped".  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  I have restarted my tablet.  I can log in from a desktop computer but I need to be able to log in from my tablet.  Any ideas?

KH1234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. 😞

The App crashes all the time...

Android 8.1.0

Larry2323
Aspirant
Aspirant

Phone Model: Samsung Galaxy J3 Eclipse; model SM-J327V;  

Android Version 8.1.0 on Verizon service.

App has been working for about 2 weeks - message "Arlo Stopped Working" appeared today and app will not run.  Tried restarting phone; uninstalling/redownloading/reinstalling app.  No difference.  Other posts refer to this issue and the suggestion was to use the latest version. 

Got this version from Play store - is there somewhere that is more current?  Or was this one updated and is now broken??

Doggoneit
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is the same...I'm now lmping along with the old Arlo app that is only found on Amazon Apps...... Android platform and Arlo pro
Aj2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can not open the arlo android app. I keep getting the message that Arlo has stopped and to either open app again or send feedback. I have done both several times without success
What do I need to do?
Sstu
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why hasn't arlo not sent out an email notification.??????
Glad I found these messages. I've taken my phone to AT&T. did a system restore . Installed and uninstalled at least 6 times. Arlo dropped the ball
Sstu
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why hasn't arlo not sent out an email notification.?????? Samsung J7
Glad I found these messages. I've taken my phone to AT&T. did a system restore . Installed and uninstalled at least 6 times. Arlo dropped the ball
Arksey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. Was working fine a day ago now stopped. Still works on my samsung phone though.