Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
rrebman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  Can't log on with the Android app.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app., restarted my phone and stiil won't

work.  The app. simply won't start up.  Very discouraging and not the first problem that I have had with ARLO.

I can log on using the pc but not my phone. (Samsung model:  SM-J727V   Verizon)

Arlo Version:

2.6.1.21_1a1c5482ea811dc16f603fc0f4932afdf12cc094
Released
11/21/18
JaneCarol
Aspirant
Aspirant

My husband and I both have the exact same cell phones, Samsung SM-J327VPP, version 8.1.0 

We both have the Arlo android app installed on our phones and we have been very happy with it.

A few days ago my husband went to the Arlo app and it stated "Arlo has stopped".  He uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no success, still the same message the minute he tries to access the app.

I have no problem with the app.  Any ideas?  We are ready to ditch Arlo and go with a different security system since this is so frustrating.

almvalleygirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue on the same device.
nicknackcruz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unable to access the app, keep getting error saying Arlo has stopped.  I bought 2 systems as Christmas presents from HSN and will be returning them for a refund.  Unacceptable that all attempts at contacting Arlo have gone unanswered.  What good is a security system that you can't access from the app?  App worked fine until the Software update on 11/20/2018. Very disappointing.

Dtnr8b
Apprentice
Apprentice
I guess we will have to run the oct version until they get around to fixing it. Thier customer service sucks.
Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@Dtnr8b wrote:
I guess we will have to run the oct version until they get around to fixing it. Thier customer service sucks.

It does, a lot of people have gotten on their facbebook page and trashed them for their bad service.

nicknackcruz
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can you go back to the October Version?

dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm on the 20/Nov/18 release v2.6.3_23000, phone is Samsung Galaxy Note 8

the custom notification ring tone no longer works, each time I reboot my phone, Arlo App will crash.

Geofeneing never work well on Android since Dec last year, sporadically the best (that's another topic of its' own)

shgarrigan
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Sansung J7 Perx phone on Sprint has stopped working. Everytime I attempt to log on, I get a message that Arlo has stopped. As a result, my Geo-Fencing is not working.

almvalleygirl
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was on hold for 45 minutes. I was told to uninstall & reinstall. Did it & it did not work.... JOKE!!
I HAVE INSTALLED THE OCT. VERSION BUT FOR SOME REASON IT ONLY WORKS FOR A DAY.......then I have the same problem.
Bryleigh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I have had arlo cameras for about 3 months now and had no problems, then about a week ago it started crashing saying app has stopped working, close or send report. I have uninstalled and installed again but still can not get in. I am running it through a Samsung J5 My husband runs his through a Samsung J3 and has no problems. Help
MartinSwede
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hundreds of users report the same thing (search in the community since several inputs) but still no announcement from Arlo Support team (what I can see) that they officially know about the problem and timeframe to fix it with an new update. So unprofessionally and lack of respect. Still can see some ideas and suggestion floating arround but fact is that nothing helps and reason is a bug in the latest update of the app 21 nov. Suggest you all contact the support or call them in order to set pressure and that they make an officially notice about the problem.

Users face different problem and it works for some with older devices but for me and other using latest Android and Samsung mobile the app crashes all the time when you receive or make a phone call. When app crasches you do not get any notifications. When app is upp and running everything runs ok though.

If any Arlo support or community managers team reads this please send out an announcement in the community so people know what the problem is so people can save time not trying to fix it themselves with reinstall or clear memory etc...and each day new users address the same issue... The biggest reason for me when decided to buy Arlo Pro 2 compared to competitors was the easy App and the flexibility with it but recently it seems Arlo developers just play arround with functions without testing it properly. In this update I believe it had to do with the right app demands using the phone and to make calls etc..If you do not accept that function it does not work with notifications and if you accept it app will crash...

brh
Master
Master

@Bryleigh

There were problems with both the Android and ios apps for some phones in the latest release. Arlo sent out a fix on the ios app yesterday and is working on the Android app. Hopefully the fix should be sent out shortly.

Brian

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
FYI. There is a new app update for Android, dated November 27. Play Store description of the update is pretty generic. I couldn't find the release notes on this site. So, I'm waiting for more detail before I do the update. Anyone have any additional information?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a new Android app (2.6.4) that was released last night that fixed the startup problem for me. I haven't put it to the test other than to verify it now runs on the phone where it didn't before but at least this flaw is fixed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a new Android app (2.6.4) that was released last night that fixed the startup problem for me. I haven't put it to the test other than to verify it now runs on the phone where it didn't before but at least this flaw is fixed.

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@Zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
FYI. There is a new app update for Android, dated November 27. Play Store description of the update is pretty generic. I couldn't find the release notes on this site. So, I'm waiting for more detail before I do the update. Anyone have any additional information?

I have not heard anything. I am not sure how arlo is going about letting anyone know. This company is lame as far as customer services goes.

Dtnr8b
Apprentice
Apprentice
I updsted to galaxy j3 seems to be working ok
MartinSwede
Apprentice
Apprentice

Today an update have been made for Android app ver 264.

Seems to be working so far:)

Dtnr8b
Apprentice
Apprentice
Geofacing is missing but it was always hit and miss anyway
jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

The newest try for the Android app still refuses to provide access to the mode settings if you do not grant phone permissions.  I do not understand what the mode settings have to do with having phone permissions if I do not want to use text notifications.  On the surface, this seems like lazy programming.  I would very much appreciate if somone could enlighten me as to why I should allow the Arlo app (which seems to have issues with every release) to have more power over my phone.  Anyone?  

cjohnson9249
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where did you find the older version to install. I had a lenghtly chat yesterday with Arlo support. Only got a promise they would look in to it. Their attitude was that I have been the only one to have problems, evern suggesting the problem could be with my system. I took my wife's LG phone this morning, downloaded and installed Arlo and it works just fine. This is so frustrating as she doesn't want to have to deal with it on her phone.

jaw5279
Tutor
Tutor

You can get the October version on APKmirror.com.  Just search on Arlo and scroll down the list till you get the latest October one.  You can download the APK to your phone and install from there.  You will need to uninstall the November one before trying to reload the October one.  Also, don't forget to turn off auto updates or you will have to do it all over again when your phone reloads the new one.  

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

As others have mentioned, the newest version of the Android app (2.6.4_23200) still asks for phone privs. and refuses to work properly (mode switching) without it (LineageOS 14.1 / Android 7.1.2).

FWIW, I've got a family member with a J-series Samsung phone using stock firmware who still hasn't been able to start the app since the Nov. 21st update.  None of these "okay, let's try this fix" updates have helped things for her at all.

I really hope there's a "war room" at NETGEAR/Arlo's software dev. offices with the goal of fixing these continued notification, app, CVR, etc. problems that seem to have taken a nose dive in the last 1-2 months.  The product is far more unreliable than when I first purchased it in 2015, which I didn't think was possible.  According to the volume of posts I see on various areas of these forums, I'm not the only one.

- Mark

CWest99
Tutor
Tutor

Downloaded the latest update from Google Play (11/26/18, 2.6.4_23200). Custom notifications and LED color still not working.

Phone: Samsung S9 with latest OS (8.0.0), and Nov. security update.

Chris