Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Adding cameras in another location to SmartHub base unit

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BClemmons
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo SmartHub base station and three Pro2 cameras at home, and would like to add cameras at our vacation condo in another city.  Do I need a new base station, or can I add them to the existing system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BClemmons wrote:

If I had a 7-day cloud storage trial, it has long since expired.  

7-day cloud storage was not a trial, so it did not expire.  It is a feature that Arlo will discontinue at the end of this year for the Pro 2.  1 April 2023 for the older Pro.

@BClemmons wrote:

The VMB number is 4500.

Which supports local storage, but you need to eject the drive and connect it to a PC to examine it.  All recordings you see in the app and my.arlo.com are stored in the cloud.

Access to local storage would require a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000). 

Limitations of direct access are:

• recordings only available in the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only available from the primary account (no shared "friend" access)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or save snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos have to be downloaded to the phone to see anything.
  • remote access requires router settings changes that some find difficult (and can't be done at all with some internet service providers).

You could try direct access for the other location (getting a VMB4540 base) and then go with the subscription for that location if you find that inadequate.  Then decide at the end of the year whether you want to upgrade the VMB4500 to a smarthub, or whether you want a second subscription for your primary residence.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BClemmons wrote:

I have an Arlo SmartHub base station and three Pro2 cameras at home, and would like to add cameras at our vacation condo in another city.  Do I need a new base station, or can I add them to the existing system?

You'd either need a base at the vacation home, or you'd need cameras that can directly connect to your condo's wifi.  For instance, Pro 4, Pro 5s, and Essential cameras can connect to your home wifi.

I'd avoid cameras on the EoL list.

Keep in mind that you will need a subscription for cloud storage.  If the cameras are set up in two different locations (part of the new UI "Feed" experience), you will need one subscription for each location.

BClemmons
Aspirant
Aspirant

We do have Wifi at the vacation home.  I'm not sure why I'd need cloud storage.  I don't have that now.

Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BClemmons wrote:

We do have Wifi at the vacation home.  I'm not sure why I'd need cloud storage.  I don't have that now.

Wrong - you do.  All Pro 2 cameras came with free 7-days of cloud storage

What base station model do you have?  There's a VMB label on the base.

BClemmons
Aspirant
Aspirant

The VMB number is 4500.  If I had a 7-day cloud storage trial, it has long since expired.  I bought the Arlo system 3 or 4 years ago, but the base unit quit working last year so I replaced it with this one.  Thanks for any help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BClemmons wrote:

7-day cloud storage was not a trial, so it did not expire.  It is a feature that Arlo will discontinue at the end of this year for the Pro 2.  1 April 2023 for the older Pro.

@BClemmons wrote:

The VMB number is 4500.

Which supports local storage, but you need to eject the drive and connect it to a PC to examine it.  All recordings you see in the app and my.arlo.com are stored in the cloud.

Access to local storage would require a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000). 

Limitations of direct access are:

• recordings only available in the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only available from the primary account (no shared "friend" access)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or save snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos have to be downloaded to the phone to see anything.
  • remote access requires router settings changes that some find difficult (and can't be done at all with some internet service providers).

You could try direct access for the other location (getting a VMB4540 base) and then go with the subscription for that location if you find that inadequate.  Then decide at the end of the year whether you want to upgrade the VMB4500 to a smarthub, or whether you want a second subscription for your primary residence.

BClemmons
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed responses.  I really appreciate it.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@BClemmons wrote:

FYI, Arlo just changed this.  EoL for the Pro 2 is now 1 January 2025, and they will continue 7-day cloud storage on all the legacy cameras (indefinitely).

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation