Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I am not in Europe!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
juris335
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo/Netgear will not help me or allow me to participate in online automatic problem solving because they say I am in Europe.  I am in Colorado - USA and have not been in Europe in over 30 years.  I spent hours on the phone with Arlo last year and they said they fixed the problem but I was denied help tonight when inquiring about buying Arlo 4s because "you are in Europe".  Can someone help me?  I am officially registered correctly. I don't know what else to do and I cannot get any live person to speak to me.  Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@juris335 wrote:

Arlo/Netgear will not help me or allow me to participate in online automatic problem solving because they say I am in Europe.  I am in Colorado - USA and have not been in Europe in over 30 years.  I spent hours on the phone with Arlo last year and they said they fixed the problem but I was denied help tonight when inquiring about buying Arlo 4s because "you are in Europe".  Can someone help me?  I am officially registered correctly. I don't know what else to do and I cannot get any live person to speak to me.  Thank you.

FWIW, there is no connection with Netgear anymore.  Netgear divested Arlo in 2018.  

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) to call their attention to your post.

Do you use a VPN?  If your current Arlo account was created when you were using a VPN that terminated in Europe, then that is likely how your account got set to the wrong country.

One thing that I think would work is to create a new account (with no VPN being used), and move your existing Arlo devices to it.  If you don't currently have a paid subscription, you wouldn't lost any features by doing that.  I suggest using a different email address for the new account when setting it up.  After you confirm that it works, you can delete the old account from the privacy section of the app, and then if desired change the email on the new account to match the old one.

@juris335 wrote:

but I was denied help tonight when inquiring about buying Arlo 4s because "you are in Europe". 

How are you reaching support?  Arlo changed policies earlier this year, and phone support requires a paid subscription and can only be reached through the app.  The response is odd, because Pro 4s are available for purchase in Europe.

Note you would need to get a subscription for the Pro 4s.  The older cameras have free 7-day cloud storage, but the newer cameras (everything introduced starting with the Ultra launch in 2018) require a subscription to get any cloud storage.

NashvilleMatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue! I cant subscribe cause it says Im in the EU- Spain! I dont have a VPN - my account is registered address is all correct but the damn box cant be changed and it says SPAIN! No voice support, no help from company. This is one giant frustrating rip off. 

juris335
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nashville Matt - I was able to solve my problem with the help of my carrier T-Mobile.  The format some carriers use on your caller ID causes your number to look like it is from Spain.  In my case my carrier used a format that took away the "1" AND REPLACED IT WITH A "7".  I think the 7 is a country code for Russia for me.  Once the carrier fixed that the Arlo software never again accused me of living in Russia.  Sorry I can't be more specific. Good luck.

PS I have spent the last 2 years trying to get Arlo to "trust" my device but every time I check my cameras I am STILL required to go through the tedious process of "trusting" my laptop again even though I always check the box "Trust this device in the future".

NashvilleMatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

But I cant even get to chat or subscribe to the service because my ARLO account profile has me as spain. Even on the web portal - not on phone app. They dont let you change it and they dont answer support without a contract so Im hosed. 

NashvilleMatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also I dont use a VPN

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NashvilleMatt wrote:

But I cant even get to chat or subscribe to the service because my ARLO account profile has me as spain. 

One option is to create new account, and move all the base stations and cameras to it.  The new account should have the correct geography.

Then delete the old account, and if desired, change the email address/username of the new account to match the old one.

juris335
Aspirant
Aspirant

So sorry I cannot recall the precise details of the fix for my problem which is substantially the same as yours.  I saw your replies.  You need to have a detailed discussion with your cell carrier tech support.  That is where I began, after Arlo refused to help me saying I was in Russia.  My solution came from my cell phone carrier tech support.  Your reply contains things you won't do because you believe they don't apply, or they don't exist, or they won't fix your problem.  Try taking steps that may lead to a fix if you really want a fix.  The first step is to spend some quality time with your cell phone provider. You asked me for help.  I told you how I began finding the fix.  If you do not wish to begin to find your fix by spending time with your cell provider because you already know that won't work then I cannot be of any assistance.  Good luck.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation