Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Millebisous
Follower
Follower
Spotlight does not turn on when motion is detected. I only see the infrared/NightVision lights come on.
When manually turned on works fine.

Current settings in “Low Light Settings” is:
Spotlight ON;
Colour OFF;
Behaviour CONSTANT;
Brightness 50%
It is connected to a base station.

I’m wondering if it’s because I do not have an active subscription. HOWEVER reading the user manual, it states “The Essential Spotlight Camera and Essential XL Spotlight Camera include an integrated spotlight. This spotlight is set to automatically turn on when your camera detects motion at night.” KBs also indicate that motion should trigger the light to come on, it does not state that it has to be recording which is a feature of the subscription. It means the spotlight should work when motion is detected, however it doesn’t.

I’ve tried to reset it, tried removing and re-adding, I’ve also tried adding via wifi vs base station.

How do I fix this? Or is this a bug?
31 REPLIES 31
Anh017
Guide
Guide

Hope this helps... So what they are saying is that you have to have a subscription to start recording to activate the spotlight, which is really dumb for security purposes like scaring the intruders with your spotlight...

Also my front doorbell stopped recording too....smh...

TerryKingdom
Guide
Guide
I hope that the mighty overlords .. I mean .. the wonderful ARLO people can help or the plan they have payed out for everyone! 🤪🤪😀😀
TerryKingdom
Guide
Guide
Layed out.. stupid auto correct
Anh017
Guide
Guide

I wonder if we use(connect) local storage to activate the recording to see if that works? Has anyone tried this option yet?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Anh017 wrote:

I wonder if we use(connect) local storage to activate the recording to see if that works?

That will work, but you need to connect the camera to a base station in order to get local storage.

Quaglioz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree, totally annoying. I wanted a camera with a light to trigger so that I could see my steps when coming home (as well as recording any visitors). As soon as my free trial expired, the spotlight stopped triggering on!! If this is by design it is some shady business practice to ensure you subscribe??!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Quaglioz wrote:

I wanted a camera with a light to trigger so that I could see my steps when coming home (as well as recording any visitors). As soon as my free trial expired, the spotlight stopped triggering on!!

Cloud recording requires a subscription, so you are no longer recording visitors.  

The spotlight no longer comes on because the camera isn't recording at night.  FWIW, personally I think there should be option to have the spotlight come on even if the camera isn't recording.