Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Spotlight light not coming on when motion detected.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Millebisous
Follower
Follower
Spotlight does not turn on when motion is detected. I only see the infrared/NightVision lights come on.
When manually turned on works fine.

Current settings in “Low Light Settings” is:
Spotlight ON;
Colour OFF;
Behaviour CONSTANT;
Brightness 50%
It is connected to a base station.

I’m wondering if it’s because I do not have an active subscription. HOWEVER reading the user manual, it states “The Essential Spotlight Camera and Essential XL Spotlight Camera include an integrated spotlight. This spotlight is set to automatically turn on when your camera detects motion at night.” KBs also indicate that motion should trigger the light to come on, it does not state that it has to be recording which is a feature of the subscription. It means the spotlight should work when motion is detected, however it doesn’t.

I’ve tried to reset it, tried removing and re-adding, I’ve also tried adding via wifi vs base station.

How do I fix this? Or is this a bug?
31 REPLIES 31
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wonder if it's the color setting being off. I haven't tried that. The purpose of the spotlight is generally to get you enough light so you DO get color recordings at night.

JoshuaE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue.

We bought the two pack of the Arlo cameras, and one of them, the spotlight built into the camera works, but the other doesn't.

The Low Light Settings are below:

Spotlight ON;

Colour ON;

Behaviour CONSTANT;

Brightness 100%,

We previously had the brightness at both 95%, and 60%.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JoshuaE wrote:

We bought the two pack of the Arlo cameras, and one of them, the spotlight built into the camera works, but the other doesn't.

Is the camera that no longer works still have a subscription?

JoshuaE
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Both cameras are still in the trial mode. Is there potential this could be interfering?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JoshuaE wrote:

Both cameras are still in the trial mode. Is there potential this could be interfering?

The spotlight should be coming on whenever the camera records or livestreams when it's too dark.  The subscription matters, because the camera won't record to the cloud w/o a subscription (trial or paid).

There is a setting for the spotlight (video settings->low light settings).  So the next step is to see if the cameras all have the spotlight feature turned on.

Tony90
Guide
Guide
So if there is no active subscription, whether trial or full edition, the spot light will not turn on? Is that what you’re saying?

Because, my spot light also stopped working but I didn’t think it would be due to the trial ending
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tony90 wrote:

Because, my spot light also stopped working but I didn’t think it would be due to the trial ending

It can be.  Though the spotlight should come on when livestreaming at night.

Tony90
Guide
Guide
It does come on while live-streaming due to me manually turning it on while viewing. However, no matter what low light setting I have with the spot light turned on, it doesn’t get triggered with motion automatically
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tony90 wrote:
However, no matter what low light setting I have with the spot light turned on, it doesn’t get triggered with motion automatically

I believe that is by design.

TerryKingdom
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue. After my trial subscription ended, the spotlight stopped coming on. I have to manually turn it in now. I can’t believe that ARLO is not doing something about this obvious defect. I have read many many different post of people have the exact same issues. The only response I keep seeing is that “No, it should still work after trial ends.” Mind you, I have a paid subscription now, and still nothing. This is ridiculous, because what the heck is the camera good for if it doesn’t capture the video the way you need it to, or was intended in the sale of it.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TerryKingdom wrote:
 I have a paid subscription now, and still nothing. 

And this camera is in the subscription plan?

Also, check the rule for the camera, and make sure motion recording is still enabled there.  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Maybe also check that the spotlight is enabled in the low light settings.

Tony90
Guide
Guide
Unless we are the only two in the arlo community that this happened to, which I highly doubt, then I agree that this defect should be corrected and addressed by Arlo.

That is unfortunate that even now with your paid subscription the motion detected spotlight doesn’t work. I was actually going to resubscribe or find a trial but after you experience will probably not.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two out of many thousands/millions? If there's only 2 folks who have been unlucky enough to be bitten by this issue, it's hardly widespread or we would be inundated with complaints. It would seem to be faulty cameras so swapping at the store or using Settings, Support to get a replacement request started would be appropriate actions.

Tony90
Guide
Guide
I think that is the place to start, however, the point is that there aren’t many conversations on the topic aside from adjusting low light settings. One response from a super user such as yourself was that it was by design the way the camera worked. I will come back to the thread and let others know what comes of this mess after seeking a replacement.
jake158693
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue - after trial period the spotlight stopped working unless manually turned on or off.  Previously, was able to adjust spotlight to turn on immediately if motion was detected but no longer an option.  Pretty much makes the spotlight camera pointless and a waste of money b/c paid extra for the "spotlight" feature that I can't get the benefit of unless I purchase a subscription.  Arlo in general has really disappointed over the last few years with hidden features being removed if not purchasing a subscription.  

Side note, the video in my spotlight cameras will not save at all (I have two of them) while my Alro Pro 2 cameras both save videos on the cloud.  Spotlight cams used to do this until trial period ended so I am assuming if no subscription then absolutely no saved videos?  I don't get how it would not save the spotlight cameras but will for the Arlo Pro 2 cameras as none have a subscription.

Finally, the Arlo Baby Monitor is absolute trash.  Arlo has ignored many of my complaints that others in the community have faced where a software update caused the camera to not be recognized/sync with the base making the camera unusable.  This has been ongoing for over a year with no fix and Arlo admitting it was an issue they were working on.  I'd like a refund as the product is not usable in any way.

Anh017
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I have been reading your comment about the arlo spotlight camera and I have 2 spot light cameras that is having the same issue after my subscription ended...boohoo!!! Do you know is there a fix for this yet? Or did arlo fix this issue yet? Or refer to anyone who can help?

TerryKingdom
Guide
Guide
Hello,

I honestly don’t know what happened but as soon as I posted and someone from ARLO responded to my post (or shortly thereafter).. my camera did a click or two and then it started acting correctly. 🤔🤔🤔 Super spooky!! I left it alone after that and it has been working ever since. Song short story long, I don’t know of the exact fix accept to complain. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I apologize.
Anh017
Guide
Guide

@TerryKingdom , can we get them to reply to us in this forum and fix the same issue?

Tony90
Guide
Guide
Nothing has been to improve or remedy situation. No firmware updates. No refunds. No explanations. This is probably the one and only arlo product I’ll ever own. Should have probably went with another company tbh
Tony90
Guide
Guide
Someone from arlo actually reached out to you and helped your issue??? How can I get this same help
TerryKingdom
Guide
Guide
If you look further up in the thread, no one actually reached out to help. Someone replied to my complaint to berate me and then shortly thereafter.. my camera clicked a couple of times and it started working correctly. Am I saying they tapped in and fixed it so I would shut up.. no way.. then I’d sound like a nut job 😄 😉
Anh017
Guide
Guide

This is from Arlo team on the other chat forum similar to this...

"The spotlight is configured to engage for the duration of recordings. Without a subscription plan, the camera will not save recordings to the cloud but will still send a push notification for motion detection events. Simply detecting motion does not cause the spotlight to engage, it must also be recording."

Tony90
Guide
Guide
Hahaha. Well nothing comes as a surprise in that regard anymore
Tony90
Guide
Guide
That’s stupid. Lol. The alarm will trigger and not record with a non paid sub, but the light won’t turn on? Seems like a simple software fix