Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell Speaker Volume

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not necessarily the hardware version. Any version can have failed components or assembly.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
True, but failed components or assembly would hopefully be a very low percentage. I’ve yet to see anyone say the volume levels are excellent. I’ve seen hardware versions 1.2 and 1.3 commented upon in this thread.
Blackharley1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Following up on my original post. A engineer from Arlo did get back to me and ended up sending me an optimized doorbell. The sound was a lot better. It came shipped at 100% volume. Good thing is the person ringing the doorbell can hear me. Also when the button was pushed you could hear the sound to confirm that the button was pushed. Looks like Arlo is working on the sound issue. 

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
@Bartley
Can you tell us what hardware version the replacement is?
Thanks!
jason78
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the update. Maybe I’ll give it another try in the future. Returned mine as I didn’t have high hopes for a fix.
Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

The hardware version from device info is 1.2 The firmware is 1.2.0.0_275_250. This is a continuing support ticket which resulted in Arlo sending me a optimized dooorbell and me returning the original one back to them. They covered all shipping.

DeputyDog95
Star
Star

I've had mine too long now to return to it.  

What is the best way to contact the person that authorized your doorbell swap/upgrade?  I have two of them and woulld love to have them working properly.  They're kind of useless right now...

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, Bartley.  That is the hardware version and firmware version I have.  Could you give an idea of how loud the sound is at the doorbell?  I know it's a subjective measure, but would you say the volume is like normal face to face at typical space conversation loudness?  [Not shouting or trying to get through to someone who won't listen, but more like "How do you like that new edger you bought?  It seems to do a good job."] 

Also how high up and where is your doorbell mounted?  Mine for example is 4.5 feet on the door frame on the left side of the door (doorknob side).  At that I can hear my wife speaking to me on her iPhone when the street is quiet but not if a car or truck is passing at the same time.  Thanks for any description you can give, as I need to tell if we have the same doorbell version or if maybe you have a new prototype that hasn't been assigned a version number yet.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@DeputyDog95 wrote:

What is the best way to contact the person that authorized your doorbell swap/upgrade?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
@Bartley
So the hardware and firmware versions of your replacement are the same as what many of us have on our doorbells.

Forgive me for being sceptical of that replacement being mysteriously “optimized. “.
DeputyDog95
Star
Star

Wow, even the site is buggy...

I tried to use this link to send them a message the email them section is apparently down. I just have a large blank white box. Sigh.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Blackharley1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hardware version is 1.3 that one is latest and works
Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

Hopefully to give some insight to everyones questions.I bought the doorbell in Dec. Started a support ticket a few days later about the audio issue. Arlo said as is stated here that this is known issue. This is all from the original support ticket. There is no contact to direct anyone to. The support agent said they escalated it to a support engineer and they would get in contact with me. Last week I recieved an e-mail asking if I wanted them to send me an optimized doorbell  and provide feedback. I agreed. They sent the doorbell and a return label to send the one I bought back to them for them to test. The hardware is 1.2.0.0_275_250 firmware 1.2 on the one they sent to me. Remember they said an optmized one. They did not say this was a replacement one or a new version. They wanted me to test it and provide feedback. One post had a hardware 1.3 version that worked. This leads me to believe that they are working on a solution that could be a firmware or a hardware fix. Looks like they are testing it both ways.These are my thoughts. I could be wrong. Now as for the volume issue. At 100% the person at the door can hear you. When the sound is played when you push the doorbell button you can also hear that. It is an exceptable level at 100%. As for clarity it still has a little echo or tunnel efffect. i provided my honest feedback to them earlier this evening and will wait and see what they say. For the person that posted that they have the hardware version of 1.3.is the sound and quality level different then what I described?

Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
I received the replacement which was also hardware version 1.2 and firmware version 1.2..0.0_275_250. The sound was much better when compared to the original one I received, but still not acceptable as guests probably wouldn’t notice someone speaking to them unless they were expecting it and very quiet. When I called tech support to inform them, the agent told me I should have received hardware version 1.3 instead. I am set to receive the new hardware version tomorrow and I’ll update when I receive and test.
Blackharley1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Probably about what you are describing not really loud enough on doorbell end plenty on phone side
Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
Correct. Both doorbells I’ve received have had low audio. No issues on the volume on my phone for either doorbell
Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
Got my replacement HW version 1.3 and can confirm, like others, the problem was resolved.
RickyJKroeger
Guide
Guide

What do we have to do to get ours?

Blackharley1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I spent many times many different case numbers and a lot of hrs and 2 returns
Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
I started the case with a chat. Once the case was opened a support engineer called me. If they didn’t contact you I recommend you call them directly and ask for a replacement hardware version 1.3. Call their support at ‭+1 (408) 638-3750‬ and reference your ticket number.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question, please, of anyone who has a replacement.  I did an online chat through the support site.  After many, many questions about setup, Internet, mobile plan, mobile phone etc. the tech said I would be getting a replacement.  However, there would be a hold on my credit card until I returned the old doorbell.  OK, no problem so far.

Then, however, the process gets a bit wonky.  The tech said once the replacement was approved, I would receive an email with RMA instructions via a link, and that I should disregard those instructions and wait for a phone call for my credit card info.  Why I wonder, and given the level of international criminal activity, could this be a tech running a side scam stealing credit card info?  I haven't got the call yet, so I think I'll call Netgear/Arlo and confirm.  I just wondered if anyone else had this experience.  Anyone?  Thanks.

Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I had the same experience with the RMA procedure.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, Mattlick, it turned out OK?  You got your doorbell and didn't get $5,000 in charges from Astonia or Ukraine?

Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
Haven’t seen any charges.