Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
gmoises
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo, "can you hear me now"?  

When will you have a fix to the volume issue??!!!!  This is getting beyond ridiculous with no responses/suggestions to correct this problem.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're experiencing problems with the Arlo Audio Doorbell speaker volume and need further assistance, please contact the support team so they can further troubleshoot the issue. You can contact our team here: Arlo Support

UNCHeelYeah
Initiate
Initiate
It's because they dont HAVE a solution to fix it. All they send you is the same repetitive message, saying if you need further assistance please contact...blah, blah, blah. It's a fundamentally broken P.O.S., and they should refund everyones money who was unfortunate enough to have bought it. Only a new version, not a firmware or software update, can "fix" it. I'm glad I returned mine to Best Buy. During the refund period. I'm happy with the Pro 1080p cameras, and the Q, but the doorbell? Lol! They never should have released it as it currently is. Owners are the Guinea pigs, and paid for the pleasure of being test subjects.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

UNC, I'm glad you were able to return.  Many of us spent too long trying to get this thing to work, and now it's too late to return.  First the volume is/was too low even with the "new" version.  Then the smartphone call stopped working.  And now, even the motion detector seems to be failing.  And if the doorbell doesn't detect motion, the button is nonfunctional.

To call this product junk is to be kind to Arlo/Netgear.  Netgear thought they'd get out from under a growing bad reputation, but we need to keep it in Netgear's face too.  I used to buy and recommend a lot of Netgear stuff in my I.T. consulting business.  I no longer have confidence in their R&D or manufacturing.  Oh, it hasn't helped that I've also had a high failure rate and general quirkiness with their networking products.

StevenL
Star
Star

Purchased a doorbell Nov 2018.  The audio level was so low it was pretty useless.  This forum advised that the original hardware (1.2) was upgraded to 1.3, and this improved the audio.  I spoke with Arlo support and because I notified them of this problem within the one year warranty period, they replaced the doorbell for free to one with the 1.3 firmware version.  I installed it with no problem, and tested it.  The audio is improved and it doesn't appear it's a problem any longer.  Thanks Arlo!

blamexpress
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Zircon1 did the new 1.3 version solve your problems? I'm debating whether to get this doorbell or not.

@Zircon1 wrote:

@Mattlick12 wrote:
The v 1.3 is better with sound but can’t be used to trigger motion recording on a camera. If you do it falsely registers motion. That said if you don’t use it for that I would suggest calling back, telling them you were disconnected and just tell them the date you got it as a gift. If you’re going to return it you would at least have the store name. I also got mine as a gift and just gave them approximate dates and told them where I assumed they bought it and I had no issue with the exchange.

I followed your advice and gave them an approximate date and they were able to process the replacement request. But what a hassle it was to call and ask where the item was purchased. luckily my daughter remembered the store. I will post an update once I get the 1.3 version 

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Version 1.3 improved the speaker volume, but in my opinion not enough to call the problem solved.  What's more, the erratic motion detection, loss of connection with smartphones, and tech support who can only suggest reinstallation as a possible fix whenever theyr'e called, all combine to make this a "don't bother; save your money" item.  I politely and factually pointed out the problems, and I referred to this forum, on my Amazon review, and guess what?  Amazon rejected it!  I have hundreds of reviews on Amazon, some good some bad some in between.  So for whatever reason, Amazon is apparently covering up the problems with this device.  They must be overstocked.

Zircon1
Tutor
Tutor
Hi blamexpress the product is junk even after getting the new firmware it wasn’t working as needed. The volume was better but it disconnects prematurely. Erroneously detects motion. And FYI you cannot use it to initiate talk. The button has to be pushed by the visitor. So if someone is there to burglar your house they have to be kind enough to press the bell so you can tell them to go away.
Sschochet1
Tutor
Tutor
Solved my problems, installed Ring Pro Doorbell, works like a charm so far, great audio in both directions and works off my home wifi, liked it so much that when Costco ran a sale last week, I bought 2 floodlight cams and have started replacing my arlo cameras that constantly lose connection to the arlo base station.
blamexpress
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Zircon1 wrote:
...if someone is there to burglar your house they have to be kind enough to press the bell so you can tell them to go away.

Smiley LOL Thank you for the update.

EPOC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same issue,
Even hard wiring had no results!
It’s a real shame. Would have been a nice added Arsenal to the collection
Arlo has failed miserably in the audio department.
ErikT69
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too have this issue and wish Arlo would come up with a solution!!!!!
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Wow! How bad was 1.2 I wonder because it’s October 2019 and the one I just bought is version 1.3 and I think the volume is pure crap!! I need to put my ear almost against the speaker to hear anything. Gonna try a few more tests over the coming few days and then take it right back to Best Buy if I’m not happy. But I can’t see it getting any better.

WWWrpi
Guide
Guide

The doorbell device is a disaster for ARLO in that the speaker in ver 1.3 is poor and the motion detection detects hourly motion that is not there.  Poor engineering and corrections are overdue for 6 months.

4ld3n
Tutor
Tutor

So has there been an update to the volume issue yet? the only reason I haven't returned my doorbell is because I had to drill 2 holes into the brick next to our door to mount the doorbell. I don't want to remove it and have 2 random holes on the exterior of our house.