Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
gls1234
Guide
Guide

For some reason my door bell indicates motion at an hourly pace.  It seems to be very consistent in the spacing of time even though I have never seen any motion associated with the event on the triggered camera.  The triggered camera is not within the motion area for the door bell.

For example today.  I received motion indication at 7:13, 9:13, 10:13, 11:13, 1:13, 2:14.  It never goes 24 hours a day, but will be in sequences like this.  I am not really seeing any settings related to this issue.  Any idea of what is going on?

41 REPLIES 41
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have the same thing going on. I turned off the doorbell recordings and use only the camera to detect and record.

If others out there have this going on (the doorbell is causing hourly recordings) Please post here and open acase with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

dcoffin
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo doorbell regularly (every 1,2,3 or 4 hours) triggers from supposed detected motion and alerts me and perfoms recording. See the image of 4 days of such recordings. There is no real motion - the trigger is sourced in the cloud service I believe as the regularity (nearly on the hour or +61 minutes) is too regular; there is no motion in the recording. Nothing is this periodic in a naturally chaotic environment - lest it be that the trigger is being caused from some probing WiFi or something which is impacting the doorbell. 2.4GHz is surely noisy here. What's the reason and what's the solution? I don't like being alerted falsely so often of course.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I also get hourly recordings due to the doorbell. I turned off the setting in the doorbell to detect and record and use only the camera detection to record -works fine.

Open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

waynewhite102
Guide
Guide

My doorbell does this too - a dozen or more false motion detections per day, usually hourly following an actual detection. I chatted with support today who had me reset and re-add my doorbell - it is still happening. I'm not convinced Arlo recognizes this as a problem yet.

gls1234
Guide
Guide

Had a chat session with afloat today and they entered a ticket on the issue. I was not where I could access the door bell today, but will get back with them Wen I can.  I had three false motions today 12:12,1:12 and 2:12.  Thirteen of them yesterday.  Since I have a camera assigned toot is just eating up the batteries.  

@waynewhite102 wrote:

My doorbell does this too - a dozen or more false motion detections per day, usually hourly following an actual detection. I chatted with support today who had me reset and re-add my doorbell - it is still happening. I'm not convinced Arlo recognizes this as a problem yet.

Vnova94
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with me. Hourly false alarms... I put the camera in an unused room as they requested and the same thing. I have an open case and no progress thus far

gls1234
Guide
Guide

They have closed my case on the issue since I was unable to perform a reset on the door bell while I was out of town. Hopefully yours will come to a resolution.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Re-open your case with a new one that references the old. In the future, reply to the case every couple of days so it doesn't auto-close.

waynewhite102
Guide
Guide

I am currently going through the same support motions - have reset the doorbell, changed to a different linked camera, and now have the doorbell off the door and facing a wall to see if it still triggers. Hopefully they are collating all of these cases and moving towards a solution.

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve had the same problem too.    Many false alarms.   They replaced my old doorbell with a new one but I’m seeing same issue with new one.    I don’t see the false alarm every hour but if a couple hours go by then all of a sudden I get another false one it’s at the same minute of the hour.    For example today I had false alarms at 6:11am, 11:11am and 12:11pm.       I’m about to give up on this thing

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just turned off the doorbell triggering the recording and let the camera do its own thing through normal modes and rules.

gls1234
Guide
Guide

Performed the resync procedure Saturday and as of today (Tuesday) I have not received a false alarm.  

You have to remove the doorbell, but do not remove the batteries.  In the center below the batteries is a sync button.  Press and hold this until it starts to flash then reinstall and retest.

waynewhite102
Guide
Guide

Update: Level 2 support sent a replacement doorbell, no improvement. I asked if something had been found when they sent the replacement - got the distinct impression that this is just the next thing they try. I have no confidence that anyone on the product development team is involved in this “investigation”.

This doorbell design clearly has a systemic problem, and I don’t see anywhere that Arlo has acknowledged this fact.

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

Doing the Resynch or reset button on the back of the unit and then re-adding the doorbell as new did not help me.    Eventually it starts giving false alarms again.  Level 2 support has all of my information and I’m waiting for an answer

Another new issue I noticed in the past few days is that once you turn on motion detection for the doorbell you then can’t turn it off.   Once I click the check mark for “Motion Trigger Alerts” I cant go back in and turn that off.   This is true in iOS app and when using the browser based access. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't speak for iOS but it works fine on Android. The web has always been unable to do anything with that checkbox.

SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pretty funny.   I just tried Android and I see what you mean.   Yes.  The app in an Android will turn off motion for the doorbell and so it works Ok.    But.  It’s still not working in iOS (my iPhone or iPad) and it doesn’t  work in browser.   There’s definetly a bug. 

Vnova94
Aspirant
Aspirant

I received an RMA for my doorbell, but based on your experience with the replacment, i may just not even bother sending it back... I finally gave up and used the motion detection of the camera.

z1jruiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
My arlo doorbell died the same thing what can be done about this??
gls1234
Guide
Guide

They are saying to perform a resync.  I that that solved my problem, but it appears to have lost sync so I was not getting the false alarms.  Will try to resync it again and see if that resolves it.

z1jruiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry not sure but does that mean remove the doorbell press that button inside where batteries are hold for 10 seconds and then add it back in to my arlo system?
SteveArnold
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes.   You would need to delete your doorbell and then re-add it as a new doorbell once you press and hold that resynch button.    But.  I’ve done that multiple times myself and it hasn’t fixed anything.  

z1jruiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you! I will do this and try again much appreciated
z1jruiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also- would setting up filters (upper right hand corner of app) make any difference?? I have set up only for people and deliveries if it makes a difference either way I'll post results. Thanks again
z1jruiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update my arlo doorbell STILL goes off Every hour, I have since reset it but have nothing connected like a camera or have it detect motion they need to fix this problem!!!!!
Discussion stats