Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JRD761
Tutor
Tutor

I'm trying to link my Google Home Assistant devices (Chromecast and Google Home Hub) to my 3 Arlo cameras. I was able to link my Arlo Account in the Google Home app, and the camera names show, but when you attempt to open a camera it says "Not Responding".
I've tried unlinking and relinking my Arlo Account multiple times and it still will not work.
Why won't this work?

310 REPLIES 310
PeeOwed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have all the same issues as well, is this something that can be escalated via class action?

Genmidi
Star
Star

It's still broken and there's still no news on when it'll get fixed. Netgear/Arlo is aware of the issue but will probably claim otherwise if you report it. I have an open ticket on this which is still unresolved and now my Arlo doorbell has stopped calling my phone so the issues seem to be getting worse not better.

Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor
Is this fixed yet? This seems like something they would want to prioritize.
ItsLunchBOX
Guide
Guide
Why do people keep asking over and over if this is fixed. Read, it's obvious it isn't.
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's never worked to begin with. If you google search, you'll find people have been posting about it for years now.

grechie
Tutor
Tutor
It worked perfectly fine 3 weeks ago actually. Arlo only supported chromecast and google assistant since April 2018 so “not working for years” isn’t correct actually
RichSob
Tutor
Tutor
Agreed. Set mine up on Boxing Day....worked for a couple of days then just randomly stopped, but only on one camera...the other camera still streams on voice command to my lg tv?? I don’t get it??
Fun4stuff
Apprentice
Apprentice

LOL. check the age of this thread. its older than 3 weeks. Just because you got it 3 weeks ago, doesnt mean that is how long the problem has been going on for. Sure, it has worked on and off inconsistently over the years, but it has never been bug free for more than a day or two in row. As I said, google search before you go making ASSumptions. Maybe it hasn't been years, but it has never worked consistently since its inception.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-unable-to-view-stream-via-Google-Home/m-p/1545059

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/googlehome/r9OCKHQBIEg/oX5ViwvKBAAJ

grechie
Tutor
Tutor
That forum you linked is dated April 2018. That’s 8 months ago and not “years” I don’t see anywhere I have made ASSumptions?
Sabap
Guide
Guide

Let's all calm down and focus on the real issue, which is that we have all been screwed by Arlo.  I don't know about the rest of you, but the price I paid for the Arlo Pro 2 kit was quite a hit to my wallet.  Too much for it NOT to work.

slombard3000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree... I have all my home smart devices linked... EXCEPT Arlo. Had I know I would have gone another direction. I have tried all suggested fixes and none work. 

EVERTONEVERTON
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine has suddenly starting working and has been consistently good for a week or so.

Didn’t consciously do/ change anything that has produced this result
slombard3000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Glad to hear...

I have re linked, rebooted and "Synch all my devices" many times and I can't get it to work. Doesn't work in my google home display or home app. Maybe my Karma is low.

TX31101
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got "Sync Arlo Devices" to work, but it fails to load the stream. I was hoping I would randomly get lucky and it would work, but I am gonna chock it up to the fact that I have one of the original wireless cameras and bow out of this never-ending battle. I am able to stream it to my Xbox One using the crappy Home Remote app, so not sure why it won't work with Google Home Hub. 

qnyla
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine initially worked without issues, then stopped. Now the ‘Failed to load stream’ message when trying to use with Google Home.

Does Arlo not have any engineers to debug this? This is not an obscure problem. It affects a huge numbers of users. Hey Arlo are you there?
Sabap
Guide
Guide

You know, since this has gone on for so long with no resolution, I would not be surprised if we see Amazon purchase Arlo and market it as their own security solution that "works" with Alexa.  Since Google purchased Nest, it seems only natural that Amazon would follow suit. This may the cause of such a lack of concern when it comes to the Google integration.

qnyla
Aspirant
Aspirant
If it works with Alexa, I will likely just toss my Google home and Chromecast in the trash and switch. I do not have time for this.

What do I need to buy?
Sabap
Guide
Guide

So you are just going to give in, and allow them to force you to another smart home ecosystem?  If so, then to answer your question, you will need and Echo Dot (or Alexa enabled device) and a firestick.

qnyla
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’d rather not, but these cameras have a purpose and are not entertainment. The camera installation is 1000 miles away and cost a lot of money. It works fine with Arlo app, just not with Google Home. The investment in Google Home and Chrimecadt is minimal I just need it to work.
qnyla
Aspirant
Aspirant
Chromecast not Chrimecadt lol
Sabap
Guide
Guide

That's understandable.  However, for some us here, we have other vendor's devices already set up in our Google eco-system and changing to Amazon's solution would be too much of a hassle, just to make one aspect of the smart home work correctly.  That said, I think we are all just spinning our wheels here on this forum, as it is obvious that Arlo does not moderate or monitor their own forums.  We may as well be on Facebook or some other place, venting our frustration.

slombard3000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Switching is not an option. I'm a smart home geek and I like what I can do with Google Home. Switching to another voice assist becaue of a camera isn't an option. Nest and my home grow Rasberry PI + Cam + Motion worked like a charm.

Arlo has a place but it is not for Smart Home/Security implementaions.

Also correct, we are just wasting our time here. I'll followup on Amazon. It states Arlo works with Google Home. That is why I bought them.

qnyla
Aspirant
Aspirant
In some quick searching I find there are similar issues on Alexa and unhappiness with Arlo there because of lack of response is not hard to find..

Probably will just wait it out.
Stevens310
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just chatted with support and here is there answer.
"Thanks, as what I have checked here this seems to be an existing issue and the engineering team is already aware of it. We will let you know once we have a fix or a resolution about this."

He also said that a different team monitors the forums and if they did chime in, they'd just direct us to contact support.

Here's hoping they get this resolved for good soon. Cheers!
BriscMoy
Star
Star

Google integration does seem to be more troublesome than with Alexa, I know I have much fewer issues when integrating other smart home devices with Alexa devices. Even Playing radio stations on Google Home via Tunein is glitchy while on Alexa it is flawless. 

Arlo are in the unfortunate position that they are a small tech company trying to work with a very large company (Google). The issue is probably on Google side and there is no hurry on them to fix as it may push more people to buy their video kit.... 

Arlo are working on a fix but still no ETA.

However, where Arlo are letting us down is on the communication side, they should be providing regular updates   - even if they are just saying that they have no update!

Please Arlo support- can you issue an update every couple of days?