Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wemo and Arlo via IFTTT

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
spiderzaur
Tutor
Tutor

I am trying to link Wemo and Arlo via IFTTT, i know they both compatible, just dont know if what i am trying to do is possible in real life.

I want to turn on my Wemo light switch when Arlo detects motion, THEN, turn the Wemo switch off after 20 seconds lets say. Not being able to turn it off after 20 secs is deal breaker, fyi. And inly do this between certain hours.

So the idea is, if my outdoor Arlo detects motion between 8pm and 6am, then turn my outside Wemo light switch RIGHT AWAY, so cameras can record better video in the dark.

And i read somewhere that IFTTT does paging every 15 mins, which is the deal breaker for me if it is true. Light has to turn on right away when the cameras start recording. And i want to turn the lights off after 20 secs, don't want to wait 15 mins and waste the hydro.

Is this possible using IFTTT and will it be realiable all the time?

Thank you!!!

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

spiderzaur,

The first part seems possible by creating a standard "if arlo detects motion" then "turn on wemo" recipe. The second part (turning the light off after 20 seconds) may not be. I think this would require a very specific IFTTT recipe for the Wemo light. You might consider visiting the Wemo community and post your question there to see if any Wemo users have a recipe for this.

JamesC

Drscooto
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi spiderzaur

This is completely possible using an IFTTT recipe to turn the wemo on when Arlo detects motion. You can then setup an Auto Off rule on the Wemo app to turn the lights off after a certain period of time (in minutes from memory). I have this running at home.

What I haven't managed to do yet is disable the lights switching on if there is movement during the day. So I have a daytime rule to switch lights off after a minute and a night time rule which uses a 20 min auto off rule.

Hope that helps.

Drscooto
oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I really do not know much yet about IFTTT at this time and I am interested in also doing the same thing.  Here is an idea that may or may not work.  Could you use the Schedule mode and during the day use a mode without the IFTTT routine?

francescoo
Tutor
Tutor

I own Arlo Pro and Wemo.

When Arlo camera on my driveway detect motion via IFTTT tell Wemo to switch lights on.

On Wemo I'v a rule to swtich off after 1 minute.

Everythig work fine except when the Arlo camera detect a 2nd motion before the lights go off; if happen Wemo never turn off and stay ON forever!!

I delete and recreated the IFTTT receipe and the Wemo rule but I was not able to solve the problem.

Do you have the same problem ?

I will post on Wemo forum too

Thank you

F

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for you input francescoo!

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drscooto, please tell me the process to program Wemo to turn off after motion from Arlo triggers it.  I can turn it on with IFTTT but cannot do the delay to turn it off.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the delayed auto off figured out.  You set it in the Wemo app for the switch under rules and not the IFTTT applet.  I have my Wemo switch set up to come on whenever one of my Arlo Pro cameras detect motion via IFTTT and the Wemo switch will turn off after 2 minutes via a Wemo rule in the Wemo app.  Next I will need to see if the Wemo app has to be active for the delayed auto off to work.  perhaps someone here already knows the answer and will post it.

francescoo
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

my auto off is already set in the Wemo app but Wemo it will not turn off if the camera detect a 2nd motion before the end of the 1 minute auto-off rule.

Can you please try with your system if you have the same problem ?

Thank you

F

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

francescoo,

My Arlo Pro cameras are all set to record for 10 seconds and my Wemo switch is set to auto-off after 1 minute.  I did a test by walking in front of one of my Arlo Pro cameras for better than 5 minutes to allow for several back to back motion detections.  The Wemo switch turned off about a minute after I stopped the test.  I suggest deleting all applets and creating them again.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I may have spoken too soon.  My wife was going in and out of our home several times watering outside plants etc. and the light controlled by the Wemo did not turn off.  She ended up manually turning off the Wemo.  I'm not sure of how long she actually waited and will need to investigate this further.

francescoo
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

in Wemo you can have the "weekly Data Export" via e-mail.

The CSV attached in the email  show the "Daily Usage Summary" and you can easily see how long the light controller stay on.

In my case for some days has been on for 10 or more hrs and Arlo didn't record enough motions to justify 10 hrs of ligths on

Francesco