Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Skippy2708
Aspirant
Aspirant

Because of numerous false triggers on my front door camera as it faces the road and reflected sun as cars pass trigger it, I want to position a camera facing toward the house so that when someone walks past it the one on my front door records video. But my question is, can the camera that triggers my front door camera also record at the same time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Skippy2708 wrote:

Because of numerous false triggers on my front door camera as it faces the road and reflected sun as cars pass trigger it, I want to position a camera facing toward the house so that when someone walks past it the one on my front door records video. But my question is, can the camera that triggers my front door camera also record at the same time?

Yes...

Create a new mode

CAM A senses, Records CAM A

CAM A senses, Records CAM B

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Skippy2708 wrote:

Yes...

Create a new mode

CAM A senses, Records CAM A

CAM A senses, Records CAM B

Skippy2708
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Tom, have created a new mode but also had to add rules for my other camera so that when I leave home my house is fully armed. It appears you cannot add anything to the default armed mode or delete it. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Skippy2708 wrote:

Thank you Tom, have created a new mode but also had to add rules for my other camera so that when I leave home my house is fully armed. It appears you cannot add anything to the default armed mode or delete it. 

Yes, you would want a new mode anyway... ( use to be able to delete the defaults , I gues so many did it by mistake they locked it ) leave the defaults alone.

I also guess you found out the after creating a new mode, you must go back and EDIT it for adding the second camera.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

One more tip when you set up rules to have two (or more) cameras start recording when triggered by the same camera:

• Make sure to set equal recording lengths on all cameras being triggered by the same camera.

The reason for this is, that if you were to program unequal recording lengths, the cameras that end recording prematurely will be blocked from reacting to new motion events until all cameras triggered from the original motion event have stopped recording. This would add unnecessary (time-)blindspots to your system, namely in the areas that your cameras with the shortened recording times are covering.

GaWd
Luminary
Luminary

Another tip:

Make sure to set the same sensitivity in each rule for the same camera if using motion detection. Otherwise it does something odd.

grrrah
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Arlo Qs. I tried to set it so the driveway motion triggers the other but when I create a new Mode for the driveway cam the only action option is for the driveway cam (and same for 2nd new  modes), it won't let me select a different camera.

Any thoughts why? I can add modes for each camera but it won't let me use one to record on another. And though I haven't gotten there yet, it won't let me activate 2 different modes at the same time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now any set of base stations (wireless) or Q cameras (which essentially have a base built into them) can't be linked for modes/rules. You can add kudos to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Integrate-Q-to-be-used-in-a-mode-with-wireless-c... for a future enhancement.

Right now it's a no-go.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Right now any set of base stations (wireless) or Q cameras (which essentially have a base built into them) can't be linked for modes/rules. You can add kudos to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Integrate-Q-to-be-used-in-a-mode-with-wireless-c... for a future enhancement.

Right now it's a no-go.

Are you saying if I have (at least) two base stations on the same account and network I can't set up a rule

• If motion detected on camera A, record on camera B.

if A and B are connected to separate base stations (and only regarding Arlo wireless cameras)?

grrrah
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Right now it's a no-go.

Will do, thanks. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the IFTTT app may be a workaround for now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Schorschi wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

Right now it's a no-go.

Are you saying if I have (at least) two base stations on the same account and network I can't set up a rule

• If motion detected on camera A, record on camera B.

if A and B are connected to separate base stations (and only regarding Arlo wireless cameras)?

Y'know, I haven't tried it. I believe that to be the case but...

Edit: just tried it and it's no-go.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Interesting. Thanks for checking.