Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo has been working on the problem since mid-December, but I maintain that motion stopped working for me around last Thanksgiving (maybe I was the one who broke it). Anyway, it seems that the issue was Arlo's integration with SmartThings had failed. One of the recommendations from Support (I have 2 products currently under warranty, so they'll talk to me) was to remove & reinstall the integration. I tried that, and it didn't work. Others experienced similar results, and Arlo was quiet on the results. I took these additional steps, on a second try: I removed the Arlo integration, hard-quit the app, went to phone settings, stopped the app, cleared the cache & data memory, uninstalled the app, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app, & re-linked the Arlo integration. Still didn't work, but a week or so later, everything started working, all by itself. Initially, there were a few hiccups, but it's been solid for well over a week, now.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo says there will be "an update" sometime this week, but there was no information given about precisely what would be upgraded. I presume that they'll update the integration (as opposed to simply patching it, which seems to have been what happened.)
perb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Now I finally could add My Arlo cameras back into Smartthings again.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue should now be resolved. If you have previously removed your Devices, please try adding them back to SmartThings and test again.

Thank you!

paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

So you're saying I need to unlink Arlo/ST and destroy all of my automations that I have setup with my cameras, then re-link and re-create all the automations from scratch again? Trying to gauge the level of effort you're requiring end users to perform to "fix" your complete failure of an update that remained broken for a quarter of a year...

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Check that you have the cameras disarmed in the Arlo app before you try to readd them.

I deleted my integration, disarmed Arlo then relinked to ST. Getting motion alerts again. For how long fingers crossed.
Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star
Paulmike, if you do not want to start from scratch with your camera automations there is a way.

You can add a virtual switch to all your camera related routines (on both the if and then parts). It doesn't matter what you do with the virtual switch in the routine, the main goal of doing it is to avoid ST deleting the routines when you unlink your Arlo cam. I am not sure when ST automatically deletes the routines but it could be one of the following (or both)
1.Empty IF
2.Empty Then

If you named your routines descriptively, it should be easier to slap back the right camera to the routines after you have re-linked Arlo vs redoing it from scratch.

Personally, I did this and plan to leave the virtual switch in the routines just in case I need to do a de-link and re-link in the future.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
RyanEnscoe
Tutor
Tutor
A few things I found to be helpful. FIRST STEP EXTREMELY IMPORTANT Disable the cameras in Arlo.
Then: Delete the cameras in STs. I did also clear the Arlo app data and cache then deleted the app.
I reinstalled the app and then rebooted the base station via the app. I waited 10 minutes and then verified all cameras were connected and online.
Then I went to ST and integrated the Arlo app. It worked the first time and the only thing I had to do was go back to my automations and select the "Motion Devices" for my routines. The rules were still there, but no motion device was selected. It has been working for 2 days with no glitches. Prior to this process I had things semi working but it was sporadic at best. Hopefully this helps somebody.
Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
I spent a good amount of time mirroring all my automations in Alexa, and it works just the same. Leaving it there for now. Throughout all my back and forth with Smartthings and Arlo, my Smartthings automations got wiped...
SkySrfr
Guide
Guide

Thanks, Arlo! This is very exciting news!

If we didn't remove or disable anything and were hoping for a magical fix that would just start sending motion events, do we need to do anything in particular for the fix to take place? I have an automation on smartthings to send me a notification whenever there is any motion event on any camera and still haven't seen any notifications for quite some time. Do I need to be restarting hubs or removing/re-adding cameras and re-building automations?

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m sorry to say mine stopped getting motion alerts after 2 F…I (G) hours. I would post a pic but that’s not allowed here. Total BS
arlomike
Star
Star

Wth. That's disheartening. I just relinked mine and recreated my automation. Arrrg. 

DaWeav
Guide
Guide

Arlo camera motion is still not showing up in SmartThings from my Q+ and Pro 2's. I refuse to delete the SmartThings linked service since I can still control the On/Off of the Arlo cameras from SmartThings. Not to mention that other users here on this thread have already tried the Break/Fix option by removing the linked service without complete resolution since it appearently stops working after a while. So keep working on it.

Bill_Pom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Smartthings stopped receiving motion detection from Arlo on or about 12/23/21. It still isn't working. When will it be fixed?
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Some users report that the problem has not been solved!

jsnphdrn
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve had a similar issue, but am not sure when it stated. (Being winter time here, I’m not outside at night a lot to notice.) I am using the ST Smart Lighting app so that when an Arlo Light or Arlo camera have motion triggered, then it turns on the Arlo light. (I have 6 lights and 4 cameras.) It’s worked without any issues for years now (except whenever Arlo updates something and breaks the connection between Arlo & ST). However, I’ve noticed that none of my Arlo lights turn on with any outside motion now.

I also use ST Smart Lighting to turn on certain inside “notification” light bulbs certain colors when a door or window is opened, or when there is motion inside and ST Home Monitor is in “Night” (or “Arm (stay)”) mode. That ST Smart Lighting operation still works just fine.

To troubleshoot, I created a quick Automation in ST, so that when motion is detected on “Arlo Light Front Porch”, then it should turn on “Arlo Light Front Porch”. This did not work.

I am able to turn the Arlo lights on & off directly from the ST App.

Is someone still working on this issue, or is the fix still rolling out? 

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
They said the fix has been applied. Some people have had luck. I thought I was one of the ones that it did not work after a couple hours. But last night it started getting the motion alerts again. The fix means you have to re-build all your automations though.
1. Unlink Arlo from ST. 2. Disarm Arlo in Arlo App. 3. Relink Arlo to ST. 4. Recreate all your automations. 5. Rearm Arlo in Arlo app. 6. Cross your fingers that ST starts receiving motion alerts.
Mine did & stopped after 2 hours of said fix being released. Then a day later, last night started getting alerts. Since I gave up hoping this would be fixed and have created all my automations to work via Alexa I quit checking ST to be honest. Without a guarantee that it’s fixed 100% I’m not recreating my ST automations, as I have over 130 devices. It’s to much work on a hope it’s fixed. Like you I depended on Arlo integration that just worked for years.
CLHVA
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am still having problems with Arlo motion triggering my Wemo lights to turn on. I read that there was a fix for this. Is this resolved for anyone and it’s working for them now.
jsnphdrn
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the info @ChadofCNC .  I was hoping for a more definitive response from Arlo though, as I really don't want to go through the complete "uninstall & reinstall" of Arlo devices, automations, etc. in Smart Things, unless we know for sure that it will fix it.  I've had this happen too many times where they tell me to clean slate everything, and it still doesn't work.  Then another update/fix is pushed, (requiring another clean slate), and it still doesn't work.  Rinse & repeat 3-4 times, and finally it's working again.  I'd like to wait for the "final" fix if possible.  Is there an Arlo rep who could confirm this is actually working for everyone now, once they completely uninstall and reinstall everything from scratch? 

As a side note for the Arlo team:  Why is it that whenever Arlo makes an update that breaks the connection between Arlo and ST, that we have to go into Arlo & reset the modes, then go into ST and remove all Arlo devices, unlink the integration and start installing everything from scratch (adding all Arlo devices back to automations, routines, smart apps, etc.).  For a company that claims to "Work with SmartThings" (which was the main reason I went with Arlo over Ring) - it's been a pretty bad user experience.  It works fine once it's all set up... until Arlo makes an update, and I have to start all over again.  Imagine if that happened every time Windows did their monthly update - users would have all their user settings, configuration, browser favorites, etc. wiped out, and have to redo everything all over again...?  I'm pretty sure we'd all be using a different OS pretty soon. 

Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
Motion information has been passing from Arlo to Smartthings for a couple weeks now. I will still wait a while before sitting down and re-doing all of my automations.
CLHVA
Aspirant
Aspirant
I re-did my automation but it still did not work. Do I need to unlink the arlo’s and re-link them?
Bill_Pom
Aspirant
Aspirant
I received an email yesterday (2/11/22) from Smartthings Support and was told that this issue has not been fixed yet and they are working on it with Arlo. From my end I've seen no improvement since Dec 23rd when I first noticed that motion on the Arlo cameras were not triggering my Smartthings routines. I asked them to notify me when it's fixed and to give me instructions on what I must then do, if necessary. (I admit that I am not a patient person!)
CLHVA
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I hope they get it fixed. It’s the only reason I bought the smartthings hub is to connect the arlo with Wemo.
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been seeing all the messages about it still not working, so I decided to see if I could get motion info from my cameras.  I can not. 

For me it's not a big deal as I am able to use the Alexa integration and that seems to be working well.  I can use the Hubitat to ST integration to turn my cameras on and off and I use Alexa to get motion events to Hubitat.  The motion events from ST however, are still not working.

paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS - now 7 days after you claimed victory and left the thread, everyone is still reporting that nothing is fixed.

What's the status and timeline for actually fixing this vital integration that has been broken for a quarter of the last year?