Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
Etchay
Guide
Guide

Added note...

When you go into the Smartthings app Settings it shows Arlo as one of the Linked Services, but when you select Arlo it used to show all devices, but now it shows nothing.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Etchay that is exactly what happen to me.   The link process says it completes but no cameras show in the app.  Also like you it show's Arlo as a linked service with no cameras.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Arlo is currently investigating these reports with the SmarThings team and working towards a resolution. I will provide another update as soon as possible. 

Thank you

cnette
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Shayne- Any update on a fix for Arlo motion information not reaching SmartThings? Like many of your users I rely on this feature for securing my home and it’s been over a month now. Please help . Thank you.
parost
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't find a way to turn on/off the video dorrbell wire-free from smartthings. why??

It should be possible to either change mode or turn on/off the doorbell.

Am I missing something?

Pima
Aspirant
Aspirant
I currently lost connection between arlo and smartthings today so I tried to re sync arlo with smartthings and keep getting this error message

See attached picture
Thank you
Screenshot_20220127-163650_Chrome.jpg
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

This morning my cameras now show up in the list after linking to my Arlo account but I can't add them.

When I get to the page that list all my cameras I have a done button and a list of all 4 cameras but all I can do is select done and then it takes me back to the add page and nothing is added. 

It's been a while since I did this, but I think I should be able to select which camera I want to add.  Select which camera and a check mark or something should appear and when I hit done those cameras selected should be added, correct?

JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
First, are you in the Arlo app or SmartThings? If you're using the SmartThings app, and you've added the Arlo integration (Menu/Settings/Linked Services. You should see Arlo in the list), you shouldn't have to add the cameras. Go to Devices, and from the drop down, select "All Devices", and from that list (mine is quite extensive) you should see all of your cameras. Do any of your devices have duplicate names? If so, remove the duplicates. If you different devices with the same names, change one of them. Same goes with Alexa: duplicate devices should be removed. Also, check your device grouping in both ST (not rooms) and Alexa. Alexa had an issue some time ago, where it was grouping devices automatically (my new TV was added to my "office lights" group, so when I turned the office light on/off, the TV turned on/off, as well. Took me awhile to figure it out, because I never created the group in Alexa; only in ST. Alexa copied the group, and added the TV. It's the price we pay for all of this automation stuff. I wish there was 1 app that could control everything, seamlessly. I'm hoping that will be SmartThings. Right now, between Alexa, SmartThings, and Arlo, I've got three. I know there are some folks who have more.
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was in the Arlo app, I went back later and figured out it was just the display.   I very seldom ever use the ST app anymore so I am not very familiar with it.   SO it turned out the devices were there, I just need to swipe teh device diaply over to see them.

Anyway everything seems to be working for me again.  I don't know about motion events.  The only devices I still have on ST are my Arlo cameras and I only use it to integrate to my HE hub via Hubconnect.  I had switched motion over to using the Alexa integration and that has been working well so I will leave it that way for now.  I only use ST so I can switch individual cameras on and off and that is working again.  For how much longer I don't know.  I guess at some point they will shut down the groovy apps and then I can throw the ST hub in a spare bin.

Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star

Like what others mentioned here, I was able to add back my camera after a couple of days of not being able to.

Integration is mostly working.

One integration problem I am currently observing is that the "inactive state" is not being sent consistently by Arlo / received by ST.  In other words Arlo cameras that detect motion, (in ST) stays as "motion detected". So if for example you are using your Arlo camera as a motion sensor for an automation to turn on and off lights, your lights can stay on indefinitely since ST never receives the "no motion" event.

I checked the camera history in the ST web interface and there were a few instances that it does receive an "inactive" state from Arlo after a few second but sometimes, it takes hours - most of the times it does not receive anything at all.

BxBillBx
Star
Star

I have not received any motion or no motion from my cameras since mid December when all this started.

Still broken, Not fixed 

Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star
Try to unlink and then re-link your Arlo account from the ST app. Hopefully you should start getting the events.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Been there, done that! No help.
Etchay
Guide
Guide

Tried the suggestion to unlink Arlo from Smartthings and then relink.  After unlinking I went into the Smartthings IDE and I discovered only 1 of the 8 cameras was removed after unlinking, even though none of the cameras were showing in the Smartthings app itself.  To ensure the relink was going to be fresh and from scratch, I removed the remaining Arlo cameras via the Smartthings IDE.

After relinking Arlo / Smartthings the basestation and all cameras were successfully brought into Smartthings and correctly showed in the app.  ON/OFF functionality worked fine, and the current battery status for each camera came across with the relinking, but I cannot yet confirm that the battery status was correctly updating.  The battery icon on the Smartthings camera display would never go solid with a displayed percentage but appeared to be attempting to get battery status as it was displaying rotating dots on top of the battery icon.

To test whether the motion sensor functionality was working correctly... I created a simple Smartthings automation that would turn ON a virtual switch if motion was detected by a specific Arlo camera.  The testing showed that Smartthings was again receiving and processing motion detection from the Arlo cameras as Arlo camera motion detection successfully triggered the Smartthings virtual switch.

So bottom-line... It appears if you unlink Arlo from Smartthings and ensure all devices have indeed been deleted via the Smartthings IDE, then relink Arlo / Smartthings, all functionality (except for possibly battery status updates) will again be working.

BxBillBx
Star
Star
I kept reading how everyone was unblinking and relinking saying it worked to find out it was not working again. Mine never worked since December. Just didn't work no matter what I did. After @jeremey said today to retry I was hesitant but I did anyway. I deleted everything from smartthings. Any device that was in there got removed and so did each company integration. Once smartthings was clean I started putting everything back in and reintegrating each one back. Arlo was last and said it failed to integrate. It did however populate all the cameras. I then redid all the prior automations. They do work now. I even have battery info and camera clips in the timeline. So now time will tell for how long this lasts.
Thejugglingguy
Initiate
Initiate
Thank you to Arlo support for saying they’re working on it so many times. However, it can’t be that difficult to look at whatever update ran last month and focus on what changed. We spend a TON of money on our Arlo cameras and we deserve to have them work with our integrations……especially when they have been working properly for years and a new update just borks things. If the problem is on SmartThings’ side, then put some real pressure on them. You are just a few days away from losing me as a customer. There are lots of other options out there!
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried something similar a week or 2 ago.  It didn't work.  After removing the Arlo integration from ST, I no longer had ANY cameras in ST (I checked).  Arlo support said they'd email me personally when the problem was fixed, so I'm going to wait for them to do so before I remove the integration again.

The Arlo integration is kind of like a shortcut on a PC.  It has some security credentials, but it's not much more than that; it's simply a pointer to the actual code.  When the integration switch occurred (Nov 2020, from Groovy to Schema), I didn't have to do ANYTHING; the camera icons in ST suddenly started working.  Some people deleted & relinked, but most didn't, and there was no formal information at that time from Arlo to do anything.  Since this current motion issue started, Arlo began suggesting people remove & relink the integration, as a precaution, but I haven't seen anything myself that leads me to believe that it's absolutely necessary.  A significant number of users have complained, and Arlo, to their credit, is still investigating the problem.

Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star

Feels like they are still working on this so I would hold off going to town with putting back all the automations you have lost.

For now I am still waiting for things to stabilize. For one, as I've mentioned, events triggered by "no motion " is still a miss for me. Also, I have the same situation with the battery being in perpetual loading state as per the animation but I think it does give the right battery percentage since I could see my flood lights showing the same percentage level on both Arlo and ST (my only devices not connected to a supply and solar).

If you do not factor-in recreating related automations, unlinking and relinking shouldn't be too much of a trouble (when it works :D) and should not take to much time (2 mins max). I do not uninstall any app, I just unlink Arlo from ST by going to ST settings -> linked services and then deleting Arlo from there. From experience I did not need to go to the ST web ui to delete devices.

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
To anyone that has gotten it to work count yourself lucky. To the thousands of us who still do not have a working integration this is beyond stupidity. I’m an IT engineer and this would never fly in a revenue based system. Oh wait how many of us are paying to for Arlo Premium.?.?.? I canceled my plan today after TWO months of no integration.
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Two days in a row events from Arlo come to Smartthings. I think, they finally fix it!

I'm waiting for information from support about this problem and I hope that events will continue to come to SmartThings. because temporary solutions, but with a shorter duration, were already in this thread..
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m waiting to try the reintegration after ST releases the new firmware tomorrow. I’ve tried to relink them three times this week, says successful but none of my cameras show up in ST.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
ST is releasing new firmware? For which device? The ST hub?
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
Aeotec Smart Home Hub, SmartThings Hub 2015 (v2), and SmartThings Hub 2018 (v3) Firmware Update
Upcoming scheduled maintenance notice
Hub firmware version 0.41.08 will be released to the following Hub models starting Monday, January 31st, 2022:

- Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
- Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
- Aeotec Smart Home Hub
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Gratzie mille ("a thousand thanks", in Italian). I have a v3. Do you know the updated firmware version number? Mine is currently at 000.040.00006.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
This probably won't fix the Arlo motion issue, but I sure hope it doesn't screw up anything else!