Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
ShayneS,
I've been working with the level-1 Support Team. All they seem to have done is collect proof-of-purchase information, and details about my phone (this isn't a phone issue). They also requested the Arlo logs from my phone. I was happy to comply, but the log file is 3.9MB, and the Arlo system will only accept files up to 3MB.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
JessicaP,
I've been working with the level-1 Support Team. All they seem to have done is collect proof-of-purchase information, and details about my phone (this isn't a phone issue). They also requested the Arlo logs from my phone. I was happy to comply, but the log file is 3.9MB, and the Arlo system will only accept files up to 3MB.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
My case # is: 42884360, if that helps.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
If anyone here hasn't created a Support case, I suggest that you do so, immediately. Arlo won't take this issue seriously, if they believe that it only affects a small handful of users.
Irelandhouse
Star
Star
What is the most time efficient way to open a support case?
Stevemeng
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is going on with the cloud integration with smartthings? I have had everything just the way I want it for a long time and now its just a mess and I wasn't doing anything to it. Now, I go to add the arlo account to smartthings, it says that I can close the page and it will finish. 

Dmarz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I not only am having the same issue, but now when I unlink and try to relink my arlo account to smartthings, it doesn't work. 

JohnT4423
Guide
Guide
I don’t see anyway to create a support ticket without having a subscription.. All you can do is talk to a auto bot to try and solve your issues. Never does create a ticket of the issue!!
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JohnT4423 .. I asked the bot to call a support person!

JohnT4423
Guide
Guide
I tried that, and it said that I need to have a paid subscription or a system under warranty. Gave me a list of using the auto bot, kb and Arlo community. Their support has gone downhill and they don’t support there customers..
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, now I'm a little pissed off!  I got a response from an Arlo tech.  She insisted that I log out, delete the app, reboot my phone, reinstall the app, delete the Arlo integration, and then re-integrate.  I did all of that, and now I'm sorry that I did!  Re-integrating isn't as simple as it was the first time.  With the new SmartThings app, there's no Marketplace.  You have to add a device, and link your Arlo account.  Ok, not a big deal.  Then you have to go back and try to add a camera.  I got into a big loop:

You hit "+" to Add device, scroll down to Arlo, and click the Icon.  I then get an Arlo page that shows "Camera" or "Lighting", so I select "Camera".  It then asks me to log into my Arlo account again, and then I have to approve it, so I click "Allow", it then gives a message "Connection between SmartThings and Arlo is successful.  Close page to finish setup.", so I hit the little "x" in the top-left corner.  It then takes me back to the original Arlo page to select "Camera" or "Lighting" again, in a big, endless loop.  It never adds the camera.  So now, I have NO cameras in SmartThings!

Anybody else have this issue?  I may try removing the integration again & re-integrating it, to see if that fixes it.

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
I did the same steps and when adding the integration back it took linking accounts 3 times. Once you click the close to finish process. Go to your linked services. More than likely it will show Arlo as disconnected. Click link again again, eventually mine connected and populated my devices. BUT the motion only worked for a few hours. As of tonight I can say that this problem is between Arlo & ST. Some people on here have started using IFTT successfully and I just linked Arlo to Alexa app and built my automations in Alexa. Motion turning on & off. It just takes two routines in Alexa for every automation. While I’m glad it works this is not how the product that we all paid for is advertised to work.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
I finally figured out what was wrong: When you tell me to "Close the page to finish setup", the Windows software developer in me looks for an "x" to close the page. In this case, I found one! So, I deleted the integration again, un-installed the app (#2), reboot the phone, reinstalled, and this time, instead of hitting the "x", I simply hit the back button ("<". Yes, I'm on Android). That instantly showed me all of my cameras! I recreated my motion automation, but no dice! I'm back to where I started, at least!
Jerry1968
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using Arlo and SmartThings to turn on Insteon light switches upon detecting motion between dusk to dawn.  This was working great until recently.  

As a work around, if you have Alexa and your lights and cameras are  integrated with her you can setup a routine to turn on the lights when an Arlo camera detects motion.  I just created a new Alexa routine and it works.  The only drawback is you can't set the routine to trigger between sunset and sunrise, rather you must specify a time, like between 6 PM to 6 AM.  That will suffice for now until Arlo gets this resolved.

Alexa Routine is as follows:

- When Arlo camera detects motion
- And

- Every Day between 6 PM and 6 AM

- Turn on specified lights

- Wait 5 minutes

- Turn off specified lights

Irelandhouse
Star
Star

i just had an online chat with Arlo support and this is what they said:

"  Upon checking this with the appropriate team, we have not encountered as known issue so far."    ..  He later said " Actually, we don't have any reported known issue regarding this matter for now."

Arlo support is a joke!

arlomike
Star
Star

Lmao. They giving us a weekend chuckle. 

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
if we don't have a result for a month here.. maybe a thread on reddit and on twitter can draw their attention to the problem? In my case (#42864404), support stopped responding on January 3rd, after saying they were looking into the issue.

@ArloSmartHome on TW.
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Irelandhouse I hope this is an answer from the first line, and not from engineers
JohnT4423
Guide
Guide
There should be a way to get this escalated to at least get a response back from Arlo Support.. Need to start posting on other groups to get attention to the issue as they don’t seem to respond here.
g-spot
Tutor
Tutor

Yes…I already posted on Twitter.  Got a response back asking for my phone logs and camera SNs.  My guess is a canned response while they try to figure out the issue?

BxBillBx
Star
Star
Since mid December automation in smartthings has stopped if an arlo camera is the triggering device. No "motion detected" is being sent to smartthings. Also noticed No battery information and No recorded clips shown. Various support people keep saying to logout and reinstall this is unacceptable. Something is broken in arlo integration. If there is a suitable fix please advise
jameshuang
Aspirant
Aspirant
It will give Arlo much more pressure to fix the issue if those of you purchased your Arlo from Amazon provide negative comments (1 star) in Amazon.
Provide the link to this forum in your comment.
g-spot
Tutor
Tutor

Aaaaand…now all my cameras are offline.  This is getting beyond funny…

JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

For those of you on a paid plan *OR* who have Arlo hardware that's still under warranty, you can call (866) 214-6520.

If neither condition exists, they might tell you to (politely) buzz of.

Does anyone know if Arlo offers any kind of paid hardware warranty subscription, like an extended warranty?  I have the Arlo Secure Plus plan (unlimited cameras), but I'm not sure it's worth it.  I currently have 2 cameras under warranty,  but  those will expire in March and August of this year.  I'd like to know my options, especially if they don't fix this current problem!  My neighbor swears by Ring, but I'm not sure it's integrated with SmartThings.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS any news?