Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every time I try to add Arlo in SmartThings, it goes through the oauth process, then displays an error stating "connection between Smarthings and Arlo encountered and error:XXXXXX" (where XXXXXX is a random string that changes every time I perform the process).

Anyone seen and have a fix for this issue?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I just tried again on my iPhone and did receive an error, but then received the linked confirmation. It looks like it took a few minutes to populate on one of my Home "rooms". Can you double check your linked accounts under Menu > Settings cog in the top right > Linked Devices > See id Arlo is listed.

If not can you try and add it again and send me a screenshot of the error message. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jeremyayates

Are you still experiencing this issue?

jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello @ShayneS, yes the issue still persists.  I just checked again and received the same results.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have the latest version of Android on your phone? Are you connected to the same network as your base station when trying to setup with SmartThings? 

jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm using an iPhone, but yes latest version of both iOS and both of the apps.  Yes, when previously trying I was connected to the same network that both my Arlo base station and SmartThings hub are connected to.  I also receive the same results from off network as well (which I don't really think being on network is a prerequisite).

Thanks again.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I just tried again on my iPhone and did receive an error, but then received the linked confirmation. It looks like it took a few minutes to populate on one of my Home "rooms". Can you double check your linked accounts under Menu > Settings cog in the top right > Linked Devices > See id Arlo is listed.

If not can you try and add it again and send me a screenshot of the error message. 

jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS I had originally tried waiting (overnight) to see if cameras would populate and it did not work.  However, they do seem to have populated now and I am able to control/manage them in ST after removing and readding the integration and waiting a period of time.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Perfect, thanks for letting me know, glad it worked. 

jimmarshall87
Star
Star
Getting the same issue - the oauth process seems broken. If you press refresh on the failure message it says it works but then no cameras seem to have been synced. How long do you have to wait for them to show up?

I have loads of cameras in Arlo but see attachment for how it looks in ST
B57257E4-5911-4A8B-8188-E744A9C20354.png
jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jimmarshall87 the first time I tried (before opening this thread), I waited overnight because I thought that might just be the answer, and they had not populated yet.  The last time (I tried and deleted several times in between), I had waited almost two days since the last time I looked at it.

jimmarshall87
Star
Star
Thanks Jeremy! I will leave it for a while then but feels like either the app gets an invalid token and then can’t retrieve the list of cameras or an API is down somewhere and the list can’t be retrieved with a valid token. Maybe you got lucky when retrying and the piece that was broken was temporarily up as it should be able to retrieve the list of cameras instantly. Bad time to be without the integration over the holiday period unfortunately… thanks for sharing your own experiences nevertheless
jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Definitely agree, something is broken somewhere.  When I previously had done the integration, everything showed up immediately.  The only reason I deleted my original integration is because I added a new camera which didn't show up (probably also a symptom of whatever is going on).

Best of luck.

jimmarshall87
Star
Star
Likewise Jeremy - same for me - one camera was stubbornly not showing up so eventually gave up and removed and readded the integration with fairly disastrous consequences.
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
It's work, but motion events don't receive to Smartthings. Which makes them useless because all automation stopped working.
E63A0CFC-63D1-41EB-9BBD-6528DC899CDD.png
BrickedBrain
Tutor
Tutor

I get the OAuth error as described. But then can back out, go to linked services and it will pull in my cameras, and act like it worked. They of course don't work. I tried deleting and going thru the process several different times over the last few days. Doesn't matter if you get the success at the first try, the camera devices show up, but not functional.

I went to the api.smartthings website and found this:

c2c-arlo-go-switch Device Backyard Camera

Namec2c-arlo-go-switch
LabelBackyard Camera
Typeplaceholder
VersionPublished
Device Network IdArlo|:VMC4030P|:undefined
StatusONLINE
Last Activity At2021-12-27 7:15 PM PST
Date Created2021-12-27 7:13 PM PST
Last Updated2021-12-27 7:13 PM PST
DataNo data found for device
Current StatesNo states found
Execution LocationCloud
EventsList Events
In Use By 

I tried to edit and replace "placeholder" with the Arlo Pro 2 Camera selection, but the bigger issue is the Device Network ID. It says the same thing for every camera, and my assumption is that "undefined" part would be needed to distinguish which camera it's polling for updates, or getting updates from.

I also noticed this with the Phillips Hue link. Was missing some newer lights, and i get the same thing as the cameras, no network ID, and listed as "placeholder" as type.

All this to say, that it is likely a problem on the smartthings side of the house.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice

why does this topic have the status resolved!? The problem is not solved as far as I understand! And even if you follow the advice and add cameras with an update in the services section, this will not solve the problem with the sound and motion sensor. 
Integration with ST is clearly broken, and ST support looked at all the logs and reported that there were no errors on their part!

jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

@hoicju I resolved this thread that I started because my particular issue is resolved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo motion and sound events received to ST?
jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, but that was not the issue that I opened this thread for.  My question was specific to the integration failing.  That is resolved (for me at least) and the things I use Arlo for in ST works for my purposes.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Check it..
F3C1E70B-EB0B-4C66-BA8B-EA5C0F8D3EBC.png
jeremyayates
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's obvious you have an issue that is different from what I started this particular thread for.  Notwithstanding the fact that something is probably still functionally broken between Arlo and ST, the issues I experienced were different than your use cases.