Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pmolinar
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,  I am hitting an issue trying to connect the wirefree Netgear Arlo pro 2 camera to the smartthings hub.

From what I read here:
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/209529506-How-to-connect-Netgear-Arlo-Cameras

...the Pro 2 doesnt seem to require the Arlo hub... So I bought the Arlo pro 2 without the Arlo hub.

I created an arlo account with the same login as my smartthings account.
I connected my smartthings account to the arlo account - it connected ok

Now, I go to the smarthings classic app
I click on "add a thing"
Add device manually (the app doesnt detect the arlo camera automatically)

I  press the sync button on the camera

On the smartthings app, I click on "Cameras"
I choose the Netgear Arlo pro (the Pro 2 is not listed)
I click on "connect now"
The app doesnt detect any camera

I tried as well by selecting  the Netgear Arlo wire-free camera... Didnt work either...

Anyone would  have an idea what might go wrong? Many thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master

Have I miss read the fine print? So as it does not mention pro 2 but could the note have been written before the pro 2 were released I wonder.

It says

*Note: An Arlo base station is required to connect the Arlo Wire-free and Arlo Wire-free Pro cameras with SmartThings. Also, all Arlo devices must have the latest Arlo firmware for complete functionality within SmartThings.

Arlo Cameras are supported in the US, UK, and Singapore.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo cameras ( Arlo, Pro. Pro2 ) ONLY talk to a base.....

so no matter how you use it with external devices, it REQUIRES a base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
brh
Master
Master

@pmolinar 

The Arlo Pro2 does require a hub in order to work.

Once you have an Arlo Base station and cameras synced to it then go into Smartthings and go to the Marketplace to connect the Arlo cameras to the Smartthings account. Do not use the Add Device in Smartthings to try to connect them.

Smartthings will then connect the Arlo cameras and create a new Mode in Arlo called, "Smartthings."

Do not use this mode as it is very buggy. In fact, once all the cameras are added, delete the Smartthings Mode.

Set your cameras to the Armed or create a custom mode. Smartthings simply activates/deactivates the on/off switches of the cameras, so you can control them in Smartthings by using the Routines or create new routines while leaving the cameras in the Arlo Armed mode all the time. And you can create custom rules in Smartthings to trigger the cameras to record by using most of the sensors that work with Smartthings.

Note that the Ultra cameras currently do not work with Smartthings.

Brian

pmolinar
Tutor
Tutor

Many thanks for your responses !

Just to be sure.

If I buy this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Security-System-inbuilt-Alarm-x/dp/B01LR8PG66/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronic...

Or this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-VMS4130P-Pro-Rechargeable-Wire-Free-x/dp/B07F57889M/ref=sr_1_10?s=elec...

THen I should be able to use my arlo pro 2 camera with smartthings?

THanks!

Pat

brh
Master
Master

@pmolinar 

That is correct, but you should be able to purchase the VMB4000 base by itself if you do not wish to purchase the additional camera. The Arlo base for the Pro and Pro2 cameras is the same unit.

Once connected to your wi-fi and the camera/cameras are synced to the Arlo base, open Smartthings and go th the marketplace and select the Arlo camera type you wish to add and Smartthings will run an app called Arlo Connect and link the two systems. 

Once the systems are linked and Smartthings is seeing the cameras, come back here for some more advice on how to use the two systems together.

Brian

pmolinar
Tutor
Tutor

Dear Brian,

I purchased an arlo base station.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01LR8PG66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I am hitting a problem trying to connect the arlo base station.

I follow the steps as dircted by the arlo app. It systematically ends up on "no arlo devices found"

On arlo base station: power is on, and internet LED is blinking amber (5 flashes every 3 seconds).

I tried to (i) off/on the base station,  (ii) hard reset the base station, (iii) wait for 20 minutes, (iv) use the arlo iphone app and the arlo website (myarlo)... didnt find a solution.

I have to say, this process is getting very long and I only have a couple of days left to send back the arlo cameras I purchased a couple of weeks ago... If I cant find a way to connect , unfortunately I'll have to send everything back.

I hope you can help me find a way!

Many thanks!

Dannybear
Master
Master
While you wait for help, try leaving the base connected to the router an wait 24hrs for the arlo server can push through the latest firmware update.
That may get you going.
brh
Master
Master

@pmolinar ,

I have not heard of a blinking amber internet LED before, but this article from Arlo says that if you have this problem you need to contact Customer support for assistance.

"If Arlo still cannot discover your base station, check the color of the Internet LED on your base station:

• If the Internet LED does not light after two minutes, the base station failed to connect to your router. Unplug and re-insert both ends of the Ethernet cable connecting your base station to your router. Make sure that your router is powered on.
  • If the Internet LED lights solid amber, your base station is connected to your router, but is unable to connect to the Arlo cloud server. Make sure that your router is powered on and connected to the Internet.
  • If the Internet LED lights green, perform a factory reset on your base station and try the installation process again. 
    For more information about performing a factory reset, see How can I reset my Arlo base station to the default values?.
  • If the Internet LED is flashing amber, contact Arlo Support to speak to an expert."

I believe that you said you were in the UK. The Base you purchased is, from what I gather, intended for the European market. I don'r know if there is a difference between the two systems or not.

It appears there is some problem with the communications between you router and the Arlo base. 

Please contact Arlo Support. Near the bottom of this page is a dropdown box listing the different phone numbers for the various countries:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Brian