Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Copterkamera
Star
Star

I know the the geofencing feature are in beta status but thought I could give some feedback I have noticed.

It seams that only the "master app owner" the one who have full control over settings can activate/deactivate the geofenincing --> home or away. I have tried to add a another unit (friend shared access) and it states "in zone" or "outside zone" but does not activate or deactivate the cameras as my device does.

I have tested this being away my self and the other device (friend device) are at home and go away but the cameras are not activated. If the other unit are at home and my self with the "master device app login" goes outside the geofencing zone the cameras are activated and vice versa when going into the zone the cameras are deactivated.

Any ideas, is it a bug or is it as it should be?

44 REPLIES 44
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have forwarded these topics to the beta team for review. Geofencing is still a beta feature and will see more updates in the future.

Some users have reported refreshing their enabled devices (toggle enabled devices off, save, and then toggle back on) has helped with the issue being discussed here.

JamesC

Broilerman
Star
Star
I really don't think it's a net gear issue. I think the whole issue is how the phone gets its location and whether or not it updates itself. The app ITTT had similar issues with location issues. I think the best thing for net gear to do is use whether the phone is connected to a particular wifi network to arm or disarm.
ROCKBASE
Aspirant
Aspirant

well I had high hopes after the last update, arlo did see both phones, it worked for a little while and then it happened...

We were out and checkked arlo, it did not arm, it thought 1 phone was still at the house, they were not.

both with us, both connected to the ijternet. It was a failure of arlo. this happens intermittantly making the feature useless.

if you can not rely on your security system to arm, then its unreliable

I hope they fix this in the future as it would be a great feature.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ROCKBASE,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Also be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your device. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

ROCKBASE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Only 1 phone can be logged onto arlo at one time, it boots the other user off. Also disable what devices, cameras or phones?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ROCKBASE,

Take a look at this article on how to utilize Geofencing on multiple devices. The second device needs to be set up via the Grant Access feature:How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

For instructions on how to shared your account via Grant Access, see here: How do I add friends to my Arlo account?

JamesC

ROCKBASE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks, i already did that. Arlo just unreliable recognizing when botj/either/neither device is in or out of the zone, so until reliable, feature cant be used.. i did try the deselect, save, reselevt, save debices in geofrnce mode andbit did not fix problem for more then a few hours.
Zymurbrian
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same frustration.  I, the account "Master" can activate geofencing.  My wife, who has accepted and invitation and whose phone is shown as active, does not affect geofencing at all.  At this point I have recommended friends NOT purchase Arlo.  It appears this system is no where near fully functional.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Zymurbrian,

Some users have indicated that refreshing the enabled devices within Geofencing settings resolves this issue. Consider disabling all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

You could also try increasing the location radius within your Geofencing settings as your wife's phone may not be being recognized as inside the zone.

Geofencing is still a Beta feature at this time and the engineering team is working hard to improve it. We appreciate any and all feedback related to this feature.

JamesC

ROCKBASE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just for your information, we have already reset devices, widened radius, and more. There have been no fixes so far for this problem, leaving geofencing unreliable at best. It is a wonderful idea and i hope you make it work one day. And also fix the slugish server login.
Looking towards the future.
bartekgr
Aspirant
Aspirant

The very same issue (and dissapointment) for me. It seems that only the master device (iPhone) is changing the camera mode, despite the second device location is properly recognised.

scallop
Tutor
Tutor

I'm experiencing the same issue as others and have gone as far as deleting and reinstalling the app without resolution.  Geofencing works reliably with my iPhone, however, it does not with my wife's iPhone.  Arlo reliably detects whether she is in or out of the zone, but does not deactivate as intended when she is in zone. Essentially it seems as though her location is accurately tracked, yet ignored.

Ken_B
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, main phone works fine, second phone doesn't.  I followed all the instructions to add a second device.

Main phone iPhone 5s, second phone iPhone 5.

Sure hope this issue gets resolved, it would be a helpful feature.

Manddgarlington
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am in the same boat as all the others above. I am primary and my wife is on the account but system doesn't recognize her as being home when I leave.
kweiner
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have similar problems with Geofencing as others above. I have added my iPhone and my wife's iPhone.  The mode correctly switches to Armed as soon as both phones "Out of Zone".  However, when my wife comes home, and I am still away from home, the mode remains as Armed.  What we want is:

• Armed when both phones are "Out of Zone"
  • Disarmed for any other situation (one or both phones "In Zone")

Should I expect Geofencing to work as I described?

RodNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem. Getting alerts when I am out of zone and wife is in zone. 

BillJeffs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have noticed the same issue. Both my iPhone and my wifes iPhone are enabled on the account but only mine will arm/disarm the system, even though her's is reported "In zone". Mine is the primary account.

Caglezxj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the three camera system. I had no clue about geofencing and after learning I was excited about this. But..... It don't work as planned.  I know it's in beta testing and hope this can help.

I setup the system using my cell phone. Then I added my wife with full rights. I set it up using geofencing. When I leave it let's me know the system is armed. When my wife leaves it let's me know she has left the zone. When I return to the zone it disarms the system. When she arrives it let's me know she is back in the zone. But..... it does not disarm. 

I have tried everything posted above. One problem with my wife's phone is that it's not keeping the app running in the background. She has to log in almost every time. 

pierrrke
Guide
Guide

How difficult can it be?

Geofencing is a must have feature. I recently bought two camera's (around 200 Euro each). One Q and one Q+. I cannot get geofence to work how i expect it to work. How do I expect it to work? Well:

Armed (=AwayMode) when ALL persons (with app running/background on iPhone6 (IOS10)) are out of the house

DisArmed (=HomeMode) when at least ONE person is @Home

I cannot get this to work, i have tried all the options above in the posts with no luck.

-Further BUG is that the added persons with full rights on the main account, do not get the Arlo APP visable in the location sections of the setitngs of the iPhone6, therefore not being able to sending that information to the arlo app!

-Another BUG is that the added persons with full rights don't have the pencil woth geofencing te set the area on their phone!

This is a must have feature which will help telling me my neighbourhood how a good product this is (a lot of burglary is happening recently). Now i will not as this feature not working is a pain.

Hopefully, as it is still a beta functionality, Netgear has this on the top of their priority list to solve and release before christmas. I mean 2016 ;-).

RodNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still having problems with two phones being used for geolocation but I have more information.

One of the problems with Arlo is that each Arlo Q is treated seperately as is the Router with Arlo's attached.

So I have 3 places to replicate all the settings.

1. Arlo Q

2. Router with 2 wireless Arlo's

3. Arlo Q Plus

I noticed that my 2 Arlo Q's were correctly recognizing both phones but the Router with 2 wireless Arlo's on it was not. If I checked whether mine and my wifes  phones were inzone, on the Q's they are, but on the Router they are not. So each set of devices must do the Location test.

So I think this problem is related that the entire home is not bundled together and the router doesn't seem as good as picking up if phones in Zone.

I want to use Arlo across multiple properities so I hope they fix the grouping of a system into a single property as well. Nest does that better.