Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello all,

I am really hoping someone can help me with my issue as so far I've not been able to fix the problem.

A couple of weeks ago Arlo had a systems outage in Europe and since then I can't view any of my Arlo Ultra or Arlo Pro 3 cameras via my Amazon Echo Show. When I ask "Alexa show me xx" it responds "XX isn't responding, please check it's network connection and power supply" but the cameras are connected and viewable in the Arlo app no problem so connection and power aren't the issue.

I have spoken to Amazon and followed steps they recommended which also didn't fix the issue either. I decided a full reset of everything was in order to at least try this as a late resort and once again Alexa gives the same response. I am running Arlo Ultra, Arlo Pro 3, Arlo Pro 2 and a single Arlo Essentials which the Pro 2 and Arlo Essentials will work on the Echo Show but when asking for any of the Ultra or Pro 3 I always get the not responding reply.

For the fully reset I created a brand new Amazon account t give it the best shot of working and reset my Arlo equipment so I am at a loss as to what else I can try. I have emailed Arlo but I am hoping someone here will have an idea?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

There has been an update that should help with this issue. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue with your Amazon devices.

View solution in original post

112 REPLIES 112
Tee-low
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same problem.

Currently running 3x Arlo Pro Ultra. Didn’t have any problems with the connection until around 1 month ago, Alexa unable to connect to the cameras saying that there is a network problem. Disabled and enabled the skill on Alexa, restarted internet connection and router but still the same.

Can someone from Arlo please advise on a solution.
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am so glad I'm not the only one with this issue. We might actually get assistance now 😀

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue with Ultra cams not streaming with Alexa Show. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi ShayneS,

Do you mean that Arlo is fully aware of this problem and are trying to fix it and that it's not just me and Tee-low with the problem?

I have this issue with both Ultra and Pro 3 though.

Many thanks 🙂

AlexaisNuts
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same thing. I still get the motion notifications though. was fine until about 2 weeks ago.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

Are you still experiencing this issue with streaming your cameras through your Alexa devices?

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I still can't view mine although I have made a weird discovery which is that I removed my Arlo Floodlight from being connected to a Smart Hub and connected it directly via WiFi and through WiFi I can view it but when connected to any Hub it won't work. I tried the VMB5000 VMB4540 and VMB4000 and it won't show at all on any Hub and still can't view any other cameras other than Pro, Pro 2 and Essentials (Essentials is connected to VMB4540).

EchoT
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here. Arlo Ultra camera’s ‘not responding’ with echo show but 1st gen Arlo and Arlo Pro work fine.
Leeo
Tutor
Tutor
I just bought 4 arlo pro 3 and the echo thinking this was the way to go. Spent hours trying to make them work the last few days. Same issues not responding. Glad it isn’t me. Sure hope there is a fix to this.
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

When it is back working Leeo you will enjoy it and this is a very rare problem which in about 4 or so years now I've never had.

Leeo
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks prochris20 that puts my mind alittle at ease. Thought I may have made a mistake buying these if they were not going to work as I was expecting them to. Hope they get a fix soon.
Leeo
Tutor
Tutor
Hello ShayneS is this issue just with a few cameras or is this problem across all the pro 3 and ultras? I’m only curious because I just bought mine I’m sure I can exchange them to get New ones that will not have this problem hopefully.
Mal2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problems, the Arlo skill does not say it supports arlo pro 3 models, your website promotes amazon Alexa 

firmware 1.16.3.2_654_6cd3d...

PeterS1963
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a VMB5000 with a Pro 3, Arlo and Arlo Video Doorbell. Alexa will load all devices but it will only work ( show video ) with older Arlo cameras. Interestingly when I went back to try out VMB4000 arlo app would not let me connect older cameras.

In any event I am curious if it has to do with video resolution

Any input would be appreciated.
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Mal2, 

The Pro 3 and Pro 3 Floodlight both work via Alexa but there is currently this bug causing them not to work.

This issue has been dragging on for about a month now and Arlo are yet to fix it which I am running out of patients. I have proven that if a Pro 3 Floodlight is directly connected to WiFi and not a Hub you can use Alexa but if connected to a Hub it won't so that helps Arlo look in the right area but still we wait....

Old-dirty
Star
Star
I’m having the same issue. It applies to the ultra and pro 2 cameras. My pro 1 camera works fine with Alexa.
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

I previously was able to view Pro 2 cameras but it seems there could be an issue now so instead of Arlo making things better they seem to be breaking it more. I was able to also view the new Arlo Essentials camera but can't view that either.

It seems Arlo isn't taking this seriously and aren't in a rush to fix it which I find a joke. Viewing these on an Alexa device is extremely basic. This has been more than a month now and still, we are waiting.

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT ARLO!!!!!!!!

Maccer2001
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased a Pro 3 camera a few days ago, I cannot view the camera on any Alexa device.

I have two VMB4000 base stations, one at front of the property which the Pro 3 is connected to and a Pro camera also connected which is located on the stairs. The Pro displays on any of my Alexa devices.

I also have a Pro 2 at the back of the property connected to the second VMB4000 and this also displays on all my Alexa devices.

When the Pro 3 camera arrived I did a complete factory reset on all the existing cameras and base stations and started from scratch and applied all available firmware updates and then disabled and re-enabled the Arlo UK Alexa skill, several times.

It is only the Pro 3 camera which isn't working with Alexa, I either get an error saying to check that the camera is powered up and to check the network or, " Your Alexa supported device does not currently support that...".

I have tried it with on three different Echo Shows, Fire HD 7, Fire HD 10 (7th gen) and Fire TV Cube. They all report the same errors. 

I can view the Pro 3 on my iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro via a web browser and the Fire HDs with the Arlo app.

I am now completely out of ideas of things to try.

Viewing the cameras on an Alexa device is an essential part of our home security procedure, we have two Echo Shows in the bedroom, and one in the lounge, if we hear a noise and want to investigate we simply ask Alexa to show the relevant camera, no need to reach for a phone in the dark, login and open an app and select a camera.

It would be good to get some acknowledgment from Netgear that this is a known problem, that it is being addressed, and a realistic timescale for when it may be corrected.

If it is not a known problem then what else can I do, which I haven't already tried, to correct the issue, or do I just assume that the camera is faulty and return it (perhaps to find that a replacement also doesn't work)?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

Is this issue with streaming your devices through Alexa devices intermittent, or does this occur 100% of the time?

EchoT
Aspirant
Aspirant
100% of the time with my Arlo Ultra’s. Arlo pro and Arlo 1st Gen both work fine.
Maccer2001
Tutor
Tutor

The problem with the Arlo Pro 3 is not intermittent... 

Maccer2001
Tutor
Tutor

I raised a case with Arlo earlier today regarding my new Arlo Pro 3 not working with any of my Alexa devices (see my previous post above).

I am pleased to say that someone got back to me promptly, for which I am grateful, and confirmed that this is a known issue and suggesting that perhaps I should return the camera for a refund and purchase a camera which does work such as a Pro or Pro 2 (which I currently own and which work with my Alexa devices).

This is an extract from their reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for contacting Arlo Support.
I wanted to inform you about the new case number that was created for you: XXXXXXXX

I'm sorry that you're having some difficulties with the functionality of your cameras. We are aware that there are some issues with the compatibility of the Alexa and Arlo Pro 3 and our engineers are actively working on resolving them. I cannot however provide you with any realistic timescale as we can't say for sure when the fix will be released. Your camera is not faulty as you are experiencing a common issue, however since you have purchased them recently and the Alexa compatibility is essential for you, I would suggest returning the camera. You can then contact us again in some time and ask if the compatibility issues have been resolved or you can just get the same cameras you already have, which you have confirmed to be working."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am grateful for the prompt and honest reply but also surprised, I wanted to upgrade my security before travelling so it is disappointing that there is no timescale, or even a definite promise, that the camera will be Alexa compatible in the future.

However, and this MAY be a complete coincidence, within a few minutes of raising the case with Arlo I accidentally asked the Echo Show in the lounge to show me the driveway (which is covered by the Pro 3), I had meant to say, the patio, where I have now located the Pro 2, and to my surprise the Pro 3 showed the driveway. Naturally I went to see if it also worked on the two Echo Shows in the bedroom, and it does.

If it's a coincidence, then great, if Arlo Support did something to force some limited compatibility then also great, either way I'll take it. However the Pro 3 still does not display on any of my other Amazon Alexa devices. 

I will monitor the situation over the next few days, if the Pro 3 continues to display just on the Echo Shows I can live with that and I will keep the camera, when I'm traveling I'd only be using my iPhone or iPad anyway.

Fingers crossed that it keeps working and my thanks to Arlo for getting back to me, (and for the 'partial' fix if applicable!).

Old-dirty
Star
Star
I can confirm that my troublesome ultra and Pro 2 cameras are all working though my echo spot now.

Looks like the problem might have been resolved.
ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have just checked mine and it does seem Arlo has kind of fixed things although names I have always used for certain cameras eg. Arlo Dogs no longer works and the Alexa just does a beep sound then nothing. I changed the name of the camera and it loads. I am having this issue with at least 3 cameras all of which will show if the name is changed which is a huge pain.

Maybe things are still getting fixed.