Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro and Amazon Alexa devices does not display video feed. Only audio.

Lyre
Initiate
Initiate

Amazon Show 5 does not display video feed. Only audio. It used to work. Tried resetting devices, removing/adding cameras, and upgrading software. Nothing works.

184 REPLIES 184
justr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Alexa show attempts to connect. Hear some sound then Alexa show goes back to original screen and does not show arlo camera feed
Reinstalled and restarted all items
reynunez
Guide
Guide

Everybody here is having the same problem.  I just talked to a tech support person on the phone and confirmed there is a bug that the development team is currently working on.  The bad news they don't know when it is going to be released.

The Alexa link is a huge selling point from Arlo, so I don't understand how they are advertising this product when it is not working as expected.

Work Around:

If you hit play at the camera using your phone, tablet or website, then the Echo show is able to connect and display the video.  I believe the Echo show is expecting a signal from the camera that is not able to receive when the camera is idle.

Reynaldo Nunez

Tech_no_work
Initiate
Initiate
1. Arlo Pro 2
2. Echo Show, Show 5, Spot
3. Up until yesterday 12/4 it all was working fine. Now when you ask to show camera, it just says "Waiting on ARLO" .
tl5552
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 Arlo Pro and thought of buying one more but now have the same problem as everyone else with only audio and no video on my new Echo Shows. I bought an Echo Show 8 and Echo Show 5 for this reason and now neither operates with Arlo video cameras. Very disappointed so hope Arlo fixes this quickly and let us know that the fix is in place.

MuddsFawaz
Guide
Guide
I believe someone posted that they spoke to technical support and are finally aware of the problem but don’t have a resolve for it yet.
reynunez
Guide
Guide

I am having the same problem as everybody else owning an Echo Show 5 and Arlo system:

For the Developers here is the information:

Station HW Version VMB4000r3  Firmware: 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd

Camera Arlo Pro 2 HW Version H4 and H6   Firmware 1.125.13.0_31717

Here is what I found:

The Echo show problem of not showing the video, only audio and displaying "Waiting for Arlo".   This problem occurs when the cameras are "idle".  If you use your tablet or phone and press "Play" on the camera video to show live video stream, then the Echo show is able to display the video.

I hope this helps create a fix.

Shazam85
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo pro 2, echo show 5 and audio comes up but video has never come up
Jim1000
Guide
Guide

Just dumped the BLINK system in favor of Arlo. Blink had the same problems. Blink support said it is due to the heavy bandwith requirements of Echo Show. If you have just a few devices on your router, Show does not compete with them. Even giving Echo Show priority does not work. Case in point...your video etc will work on a tablet or phone..They will because they don’t use bandwith like Echo. Amazon can tell you anything but the problem lies in thier firmware.

Jim1000
Guide
Guide

Not true...Echo Show bandwith is so greedy/ high you need to unregister all your devices from your router. Then it will work. No doubt you see this in action as tablets and phones do not use all the bandwith. There is software a teck can run that will show the throughput and congestion.

Jim1000
Guide
Guide

You should have asked the technician why ‘Blink’ has the same identical problem ( owned by Amazon). He could have run a diagnostic and it would show up ..you have network congestion. Echo Show eats it up so even a few devices on your router will cause connection failure. On occasion, when you have low usage of router bandwith (not signal strength) you may or may not connect. Echo show is the real culprit.

I suggest you google a variety of camera vendors and type in “xyz vendor and Echo Show”. You will be amazed at the same problem users have with other makes and models.

nuclearcaramel
Guide
Guide
That doesn't really explain why it's worked for the last 1.5-2 years until recently though.
Jim1000
Guide
Guide

Show updated firmware.

nuclearcaramel
Guide
Guide

In that case, if the Show's new firmware is the cause of it, I think Netgear engineers would have better luck getting Amazon to fix it than me/us. That being said, I'm more than happy to also take the steps to make Amazon aware of the issue.

reynunez
Guide
Guide

@nuclearcaramel  Just FYI I reported this problem to the Amazon Alexa development team.  I make them aware that this problem is potentially impacting all Echo show users with the latest firmware update.  I explained this is impacting not only the Arlo users but other smart cameras users.  Hopefully the Arlo development team will do their homework and coordinate the fix with the Alexa team.

Don't let us down Arlo .... I am a first time user, just got the cameras and it is very lame to start with a problem like this.

d12bn
Star
Star
It’s not a bandwidth issue. Go live on your phone then ask echo to open the same camera and it works.
Grinch777
Guide
Guide

I have the Arlo VMB3000 running 5 cameras and except for a glitch when we had the bad firmware upgrade I am 100% happy with the system. 

I recently purchased an Amazon Show 8 solely because it stated that it could be linked with the Arlo cameras and the Ring doorbell. The Ring works fairly well but Arlo does not. Reading this thread which I have gone back to mid 2018 I am not alone. I had linked the cameras to my 2018 Echo 2nd gen so it was already on the Alexa app and showed immediately on the set up on the Show 8 but just 'hung' and would not connect. Checking the Alexa troubleshooting it was clear that they were aware of the problem and I was advised to link to my Arlo account which I did with no change. It then advised to delete all cameras from the Alexa app and re-discover which I did, only to find that the app could not find my five cameras. From what I have read it seems that this link with Arlo and Alex once worked, what has happened? If there is a problem why do Alexa and Arlo both state that their systems can link up when it clear they know there is a problem. I feel that I have been conned.

reynunez
Guide
Guide

@Grinch777  This seems to be a problem with the Alexa latest firmware affecting other smart cameras, including Arlo.  Go to Amazon and open a ticket with the Alexa developers team.   I did the same thing earlier.  We have to make sure this people is aware of the impact of the problem.

This is not a small investment, considering how expensive this equipment is, both Arlo and the Alexa Echo Show products.

Christa
Aspirant
Aspirant
I used to be able to stream Arlo on my TV using a firestick and now I can't. How does that relate to the echo show issue?
wilbertsison
Initiate
Initiate
Same problem:
Device: Arlo pro mode VMC4030
Software: 2.11.2_26080
Alexa Device: Firetv model 6.1.8.1-012
Fire OS: 5.2.7.2

Same Issue as below. Only Audio stream, no video stream. Awaiting for Arlo is displayed. Please advice. Always used this feature before, stopped working two months ago.
Sissydlh
Guide
Guide
this is beyond frustrating. expensive investment and bot working.
Echo telling motion detected but 0 video.
This is BS. just like the fact that Arlo cams have no individual alert sounds.
About had it. frustrating
d12bn
Star
Star
I just talked to Amazon and they said arlo recently did an update and that is the problem. Amazon said arlo is aware of the problem and is working on it.
Meechmom
Star
Star

Thank you for the update!! This is good news and hopefully a fix will be applied soon.

Laz19
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same models and problem for me.
drury2328
Initiate
Initiate

Which Arlo camera are you experiencing this problem?

All Arlo Pro cameras

Which Amazon Alexa devices are you experiencing this problem?

Amazon Echo Show /Amazon Echo Show 8/Fire TV Stick/Fire TV Stick 4K

Is the problem related with hearing the audio only?

Yes, the Amazon Echo will show "Waiting On Arlo..."

Audio is audible, and no video will display.

WINEOH
Guide
Guide
Seems like when Arlo put out last update about video doorbell all hell broke loose with regular camera integration. Someone needs to work on this ASAP because security issues involved here. Problem is in Arlo Skill for Echo Show.