Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the option "Do nothing" meant for?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fort_Knox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just out of curiosity:

When programming rules, after selecting triggering camera and motion sensivity, you choose action camera and type of action - record video or do nothing. The do nothing option makes me wonder why it is there. Is it only for the ability of sending notifications and doing nothing else (of course)? Why would one want this scenario? Am I missing something?

Base station: VMB3010r2 x 1
Wifi Camera: H7 x 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes, still is motion sensitive, just doesn't record or snapshot... but alert is still on ( if DISARMED no alert is sent )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wondered that myself. Maybe it just sends an alert?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes, still is motion sensitive, just doesn't record or snapshot... but alert is still on ( if DISARMED no alert is sent )

Morse is faster than texting!
Fort_Knox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification. For me that function is more or less useless - if I received a motion notification I would certainly want the camera to record. Maybe it's intended for users who manually turn on live-feed, but then you truly need to be fast and always connected.

On the other hand, this scenario already happens now and then since a couple of weeks (receiving notifications but no recording in the library). Hmm, maybe the problem lies in how the rules are carried out and sometimes they erratically choose the "do nothing" option. Just a thought,

Base station: VMB3010r2 x 1
Wifi Camera: H7 x 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Back from the semi-dead. Wanted to turn off a nested rule without deleting it. The "do nothing" settings seems like it should do what I want so I'm using it.

Edit: Well, that wasn't true. Just got videos from the camera I thought was off due to "do nothing". Turns out I didnt notice that " do nothing " requires that you set a notification to be able to save. So, you can record without notifications or do nothing WITH notifications. DOH!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation