Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What in the world were you thinking of?

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Up until today I loved the Arlo system.

Now I log in and see that you couldn't leave well enough alone, you had to screw around with a system that worked perfectly fine and now I am back to square one.

I have 5 cameras.  On every one all the settings have been changed.  The record times have been reset to 10 seconds, the additional e-mail addresses for notifications have been deleted (and I had several for each camera), the motion sensor "on" indicator is now black instead of green so I can't tell if it is actually on or off, the battery charge indicator is also black and is so small (on a 27 inch monitor) that it is almost impossible to make out the battery level and to top it off many of my videos have disappeared.  Now I read I have to rely on my browser cache to see if the videos are still stored there.

It is going to take hours to re-learn this stupid software "upgrade" and reset everything the way I wanted it.

As far as I can see there was absolutely no improvement in functionality or service to your customers, just an interface change that screwed up my settings. On top of all of this I am no longer confident that I will have things working correctly because there was no guide sent out to help people through this unnecessary transition.

I have gone from a completely happy customer who recommended this system to several people (who subsequently bought it on my say so) to one who, if it was practical, would pack the whole thing up and return it.  Now if I am able to get to the point where I think I have it working I have to get in touch with them to walk them through it.

Nice going.

19 REPLIES 19
ArloLG
Star
Star

Netgear has made multiple negative changes to their system. My recommendation is to email customer support directly to register all of your complaints because they apparantly don't care and won't care unless enough people notify them. The community is just users like yourself who can do nothing except contact customer support. Numbers count, so contact support.

The response I have received from Support has been "sorry" with no commitment to fix or respond to anything.

A4tune8man420
Initiate
Initiate

I am not a fan of the new upgrade.

I miss the ability to double click the image to go full screen.

The control bar at the bottom will not go away

which reduces the available image.

The brightness function sucks too.  Once an adjustment is

made, you must move the screen by either zooming the image

or changing the size of the image for it to take effect..

Come on Arlo/Netgear!  Where is the quality control for updates?

I have purchased my last Arlo if this is the best you can do.

Jamesbeaver
Tutor
Tutor

I agree that this has been the worst possible upgrade ever since Coca Cola changed their formula!!!! Why would you destroy a perfectly working system and leave your customers vulnerable and without a clue as to how to correct the issues......When I try to increase the recording time on the slide bar on every camera it goes right back to 10 seconds!!!!!! When I try to increase the sensitivity with the slide bar it goes right back to 35 percent on 2 cameras because I had turned them down before this stupid upgrade......I was also very happy with the system and now it is basically worthless!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ArloLG wrote:

Netgear has made multiple negative changes to their system. My recommendation is to email customer support directly to register all of your complaints because they apparantly don't care and won't care unless enough people notify them. The community is just users like yourself who can do nothing except contact customer support. Numbers count, so contact support.

The response I have received from Support has been "sorry" with no commitment to fix or respond to anything.

Give it a rest. While there are those who don't like the upgrade there's also many that don't. Not all changes are for the worst. Sometimes you just have to get used to it. I'm using it with few issues. The web interface has to be refreshed by maybe clearing the cache.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

What I discovered (after much trial and error) is that when you re-set the record time or sensitivity you have to scroll down below what you see on the "page" and click "Save".  When the develpers did this rework they put the save button off the bottom of the screen so unless you hunt for it any changes you make won't be saved.

AND you have to save after each change.  You can't make all your changes and save one time, you have to do it over and over again.  With 5 cameras, and several email addresses to put back in it was a lengthy and frustrating process.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

If the changes added some missing functionality, or even improved the overall user experience then you might have a point.  However I would ask you point out just one improved feature that this "upgrade" has brought to the party.

It is the same features as before, but all of the user settings were discarded, the "Trash" feature was deleted, and the new interface is ot nearly as intuitivve as the old one.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The one feature improvement I really like is the ability to use one camera as a "tripwire" to activate multiple cameras.  I have two cameras that cover the same (large) area, and it is nice to be able to activate both whenever either one detects motion.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

That would be a good feature if it was documented somewhere.  How did you do this?

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Say you have two cameras, call them cam1 and cam2. You want to use cam1 to trigger recording on cam2.
Choose or create a new mode.
Click on "Add Rule".
Under "select device", select cam1.
Click next on "Motion is detected".
Pick the motion sensitivity you want, then click "next".
Under "what devices do you want to activate", select cam2.
Make sure it says "record video", and click "next".
Set the alerts you want, and click "next".
Name the rule.

Do the same with a new rule but reverse the two camera choices.

Once the two rules are done, motion on either camera will cause both to record video.

lumpyheatpad
Star
Star
I have the same setup as described where on camera triggers itself to record and it triggers another camera to record. After the update to the android app, my app doesn't show videos that are really there. Manual videos are fine.
Bearscreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was already tripping 2 cameras to record (with 1 camera sensing motion) before the upgrade.

lumpyheatpad
Star
Star
Yeah same here. However before the upgrade, I could see videos from cam1 (the trigger for all 3), cam 2 and cam 3. Now I can only see cam 2 videos from the android app when motion "Daisy chaining" is used this way.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry, it's been so long since I've had to re-make my rules that i missed this feature when it was released, prior to the update.  Well, then I can't find anything any better with the new app except maybe the option to disable night vision, which has only limited usefulness.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hokeysmoke wrote:

The one feature improvement I really like is the ability to use one camera as a "tripwire" to activate multiple cameras.  I have two cameras that cover the same (large) area, and it is nice to be able to activate both whenever either one detects motion.

That feature has always been there by creating nested rules.  It is not a new feature of this botched software 

Redrocr
Guide
Guide

can someone just PLEASE tell me the EASIEST way to change the new default recording time from 14 seconds, to the way I used to have it before this downgrade...!!! grrrr....

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
It seems the flaw in the recording time on the new downgrade is 4 seconds. So in other words if you want a 10 second recording try setting it for 6 seconds. Or simply subtract 4 seconds from whatever recording time you want.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To change the recoding duration go to the Mode tab, select your system, edit the mode(s) of importance and set the time as desired. There's currently a bug causing a few extra seconds to be recorded that they're working on.  This has all been documented in many posts.

ssmyth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Interesting ! Let me ask this ...cam1 is outside a back door and cam2 is inside near the same backdoor. Scenario ...outside motion triggers cam1 question is does it record as cam2 is now recording inside but has no motion ? Help me understand 😉
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ssmyth wrote:
Interesting ! Let me ask this ...cam1 is outside a back door and cam2 is inside near the same backdoor. Scenario ...outside motion triggers cam1 question is does it record as cam2 is now recording inside but has no motion ? Help me understand 😉

Not sure I understand. Camera 1 Detects motion and starts recording. Camera 2 needs to also detect motion to start recording unless you have a mode with rules that cause camera 2 to record when motion is detected on camera 1. Are you saying that camera 2 is starting to record all by itself?

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation