Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ericmcgovern
Apprentice
Apprentice

Recently setup my 4 camera Arlo system - still tweaking it to capture actual movement and figuring out the best actual position. All my cameras are outside and I wish the motion detection worked at a greater distance. I ended up moving some of the cameras from the ideal vantage point because they weren't triggering when I needed them to. 

However, one of the cameras I have mounted won't trigger until you are nearly on top of it. When I measure it is about 8 feet away before triggering. The other 3 cameras is right around the 17 foot mark. Is there somehting that could be reducing the distance of motion detection? Could it be what it is pointed at? Just trying to get some ideas before I climb back up to adjust (all cameras are mounted out of reach, since they are outside).

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First , an easy test would be to swap two cameras ( one the detects at 17' vs the one at 8' ) and see how the newly placed camera responds.

If it responds the same then it's the placement, angle, physical setup of the camera.

Don't forget that the motion detect works better accross the field of view as opposed to directly in/out

Also make sure the sensitvity slider is place properly like the other cameras ( it's under camera marked as " less video, more video ". A good start point or default is around 80-85%.

If you haven't already, try and read some of the FAQ/threads on motion and setup.

see ;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-does-Arlo-s-motion-detection-sensitivity-wo...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=for...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ericmcgovern
Apprentice
Apprentice

I forgot to mention the sensitivity slider has no impact on detection distance. I have a feeling it has to do with the angle - it is pointed between my house and my neighbors, which is a narrow strip of land, so the only approach is head on, not side to side. 

I will play around with a few more things mentioned in the links - all my cameras are out of reach, so I was hoping I didn't have to start climbing around on a ladder to troubleshoot. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ericmcgovern wrote: snipped
the sensitivity slider has no impact on detection distance. I have a feeling it has to do with the angle - it is pointed between my house and my neighbors, which is a narrow strip of land, so the only approach is head on, not side to side. 

Eric..

If you really want the location picked, here's something to try .... Turn the camera on it's side. ( instead of verticle )

Two things happen, the picture will shoot down the narrow alley so you'll have a better view AND I think the sensor will now be seeing you walk across the fiew of view.  This may solve your problem. 

Down Side; is if you get a picture, it will be rotated 90degs...  but most simple image programs can rotate the jpg back to horizontal. ( and most video prgms too )

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation