Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Probably dumb question, but... Sensitivity Icons seem opposite of intuitive setting option?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
El_Dorado_Bill
Aspirant
Aspirant

First, I really like this product, and once you figure out the interface it all starts to make sense. This one thing though, I'm struggling with...

When adjusting the motion dectection sensativity I see the following:

Icon of guy standing still 0-------100 (sliding adjustment) up to icon of guy running.

Intuitively, I'm thinking the more I slide it to 100, the more sensitive it is to picking up motion. However, the icons suggest the more I move it toward the low end and the guy standing still, the more sensitive it is to picking up a little bit of motion.

Which is it?

Here's why I also ask. I have a camera over the driveway, which I had included a street view. You guessed it, every car (about 25 feet-40 feet away) triggered an alert and recorded the tailend of a car just going out of frame. I set the sensitivey to 5 and later to 95 and it mattered not. Every car, every time. I re-adjusted the camera to not include the road, still got triggered by any car.

Finnally, I changed my mode to if Front Door Camera detects motion (this camera is secluded and only picks up motion right in front of it) then record for 30 seconds. If Front Door Camera detects motion Driveway Camera records for 30 seconds (so far it has missed three Front Door Motion alerts and picked up only one).

Lastly, when I set motion sensitivity, which setting is the master for the camera, the one I seclec in Mode or the one I select in Settings | My Devices | Motion Detection Test

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The HIGHER the sense number, the greater the sensitivity...

The setting of sense level must be in the MODE.  The setting in the motion test is just used in the test mode and not for recording.

As to picking up cars in the street, the PIR works by the IR received or the reflection of same... cars are a big reflector for same.

The PIR device seems to be more sensitive on the edges of the field of view ( or slightly more )

The setting of the camera is a trial and error to get the best and proper trigger event for good recordings

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The HIGHER the sense number, the greater the sensitivity...

The setting of sense level must be in the MODE.  The setting in the motion test is just used in the test mode and not for recording.

As to picking up cars in the street, the PIR works by the IR received or the reflection of same... cars are a big reflector for same.

The PIR device seems to be more sensitive on the edges of the field of view ( or slightly more )

The setting of the camera is a trial and error to get the best and proper trigger event for good recordings

El_Dorado_Bill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. Re: sensitivity, that's what I thought. I once worked for a company that wanted to have a light on, "so people will know when the device is off..." so I am wary of the obvious. 🙂

I now only use the Frontdoor for motion detection. I have it a bit too high as it alerted this morning from a spider's single web dangling in front of the camera.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Spiders can be a problem.... they set it off and look like a thriller movie when recorded at night

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation