Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
aalt69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an issue with my camera and motion. First of all, if you all have seen the "Motion Detection" tutorial, you notice when they are testing motion via app, the LED turns blue, is this true for everyone, mine is amber and/or broken??

Next, i have been trying to adjust the motion sensitivity to no avail. I have put it up to 100% down to 25% and same results. I am catching traffic on our street, definitely "well over" 15 ft. I can adjust the heck out of it and still picks up the cars. any ideas?  

One other thing that is bugging me is the delay on video and recording. When the camera does pick up motion  it is  almost to late as the person walking past our drive way is literately past camera. It catches the video late and can barely  see whom it is.

Any ideas would help. Newbie to this camera.

26 REPLIES 26
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Yes.. the motion test is now AMBER... it WAS BLUE in the earlier versions of software.  Yours is not broken! 🙂

( even the Arlo video stills shows it as blue )

2) As to motion in street, these cameras have an IR detector for motion...this works off reflection of infra red. It will pick up some objects easier than others due to this "heat"...  If you want to eliminate the street , try aiming the cameras down a bit... good placement always helps to reduce false triggers.

A good location outside might be out of reach high and the field of view to only needed vision.

3) Yes there is some delay in the start of record.  Again, placement can help if the person is walking across the view of the sensor as opposed to straight in/out.

You ( if you use more than one camera ) can actully set up rules so one camera senses motion and the other records... BTW , since my cameras overlap, I use this for the best capture setting ( so the person is walking into the recoding camera )

It takes a litlle while to get use to how the system works. Feel free to ask , that why the board is here.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
aalt69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac,

So i did play around with the motion today. I did reposition it and pointed down more than out. Now, when i was doing motion test I noticed it would not pickup anything like myself or even any cars driving by. Amber LED would not even flash. but as soon as i got closer to perimeter  it would flash. So i started to test out the camera in live view/Motion. it picked up car out on street right away. I am a bit confused, i know it picks up heat as i have a driveway sensor, works the same way. I will pick up a warm car a lot better than a cold car per say. I just find it confusing as to how the camera picks up the car on the street in live mode, but not in motion test mode. Furthermore, i reduced motion sensitivity to literately 15% and finally 10 %, which at this point it should not pickup anything other than being right in front..right?

This camera faces, the driveway/front lawn. from sidewalk to camera it is a good 25-30 ft, that does not include street distance.  

Still will work on it and see what i can figure out and/or contact Netgear Support and ask.

Thanks again for reply.

DiWil
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same problem. It only picks up cars but not people where the camera points to. Ive tested the settings and repositioning so many times but it doesnt work. The camera seems to be detecting motion but it doesn't record.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Missing-Video-while-on-schedule-mode/td-p/4724

WOW !  I am haivng the same problem!  the link to the thread I stated is above.  My case has been escalated to L2.  good know know that I am not alone going crazy trying to figure out the Motion sensitivity

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that cars are larger, faster and more reflective of IR than people. Distance, sensitivity, motion direction, etc., etc. all gets in there, just as it does for things like motion detection lighting.

And, of course, there's always a possibility of a hardware/software problem which really can't be addressed here. A trouble ticket would be needed to resolve those issues.

ARD
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any resolution to this one yet? Having the same issue.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

No resolution for me.  My system is going to be on ebay soon.

Mucckker
Aspirant
Aspirant

put a camera up in my garage at an angle, but will only pick me up if I am close to it,when I opened the garage door or stood a the garage door it does not pick me up .?.. And it's set at 100% motion 

regards

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Exact positioning relative to motion across the motion sensor is important. It's also trial and error to get the proper location.  Try to position it so motion is detected at the edge of view rather than more in the middle.

MarkAndClare
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dedcated Motion sensors (without the expensive camera), wireless of course, would make a huge difference...

The rules seemed designed to allow the addition of extra hardware - I don't understand why Arlo/Netgear doesn't already have a solution...

MO1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Motion detection is not working. It only works under the manual setting. I have two cameras. They have new batteries, both cameras are about 15ft away from base & about 6ft. away from each other. A couple of times at night I have walked be camera 1 & no detection or lights. I have repositioned both cameras & reset the phone app. Nothing seems to help. I'm so disappointed. Any suggestions?
Ghostbuster
Star
Star

I just started having this problem. Which is a bigger issue to me than the two to three hour late video upload/email notification issue. My cameras are placed properly, fresh batteries, had been working fine but yesterday, and especially today the motion recording is drastically off. The camera senses motion and when I check the video the recording begins after the motion is over. So 20 seconds of nothing. 

Im home today and keeping an eye on the system to see what is and isn't working on my system. I've never had this issue before so I know the problem has to be with the software. 

So while the engineers "fix" the cloud networking services, they need to fix this issue as well. Otherwise we'll be getting notifications and videos with no real purpose.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Screenshots of your scene may help decipher some issues.

westw
Tutor
Tutor

Wondering if the recent issue described in today's email is responsible for my unit yesterday suddenly not having ANY motion detection at all.

The 'walking man' icon was grayed out and nothing I could do to the settings would remedy it.  Somehow later that night it started working again.

Ghostbuster
Star
Star

Still noticing that the motion sensitivity in my cameras has been greatly reduced. This is a new development that began with the recent software malfunction. They are set at 100% and are not working like they used to. Also, opening the app on my iPad is still triggering a camera to record despite no motion detected. Push notifications are random today. They had been working consistently. And the occasional video is still disappearing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ghostbuster,

What is indicating that the cameras motion sensitivity has been greatly reduced? There are some factors that could cause reduced performance with motion detection. Take a look at this article to be sure your cameras meet the conditions for best performance: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

When you open the app and are seeing a recording as a result, does the motion detection indicator on the cameras screen turn amber? Do you notice this occurring consistently on the same camera or is it random? Does it happen every time you open the app on your iPad?

What do you mean by the occasional video is still disappearing? Videos in the library will automatically be deleted from the cloud after 7 days (if you are on the Basic subscription). So if the videos you are referring to are older than 7 days, this is expected.

JamesC

Emyr
Guide
Guide
Camera mounted 8 ft and angled down to driveway, just including entrance so as to include heads of anyone entering the property. Still picks up cars passing 30 to 40 yards away with motion set to minimum value of 1%!! Needs a software review to improve discrimination please. System left off now so a waste of money.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Emyr,

Consider uploading a screenshot from the cameras point of view, this may help us identify why the camera isn't behaving as expected.

Also, consider taking a look at this article for tips on how you can be sure your camera is positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

aalt69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree, i have lowered sensativity to 1 and still picks up cars on Street. I have to turn off becasue it wears batteries and takes up space on my logs...  It is positioned down towards driveway cant point any lower becasue it will not pick up anything unless right under camera... 

simn
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a useless security cameras..... Sell it and go with something else..... 

Emyr
Guide
Guide

Arlo Snap (Car is parked).jpgCamera location - centre of photo.jpgCamera location from responce point..jpg

JamesC wrote:

Emyr,

Consider uploading a screenshot from the cameras point of view, this may help us identify why the camera isn't behaving as expected.

Also, consider taking a look at this article for tips on how you can be sure your camera is positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Here are a couple of photos, a screenshot along with photos of the camera location and distance being detected. Please note that the sensitivity is set to minimum of 1% but doesn't seem to have much effect.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Angling the camera down a bit more to eliminate the street could help. Also, be sure you're setting sensitivity in your modes, not Settings.

Emyr
Guide
Guide

Thank you, now working fine. I was adjusting the sensativity in the "settings" rather than "mode" and that made no change to the sensativity. I suspect the settings adjustment is used to determin the correct sensativity value that the has to be entered into the mode setting. Strange way of doing things that I suspect has confused many people. As an experienced Instrument Engineer, I would expect to select "what the device does" in mode and adjust "how it does it" in settings. I any case, the camer ais no angled to take ina greater view of the stree but only trigger if something actually enters the driveway. Good result! It would be great if the motion sensoand the camera could be individually adjusted though.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Emyr wrote:

It would be great if the motion sensoand the camera could be individually adjusted though.

Lost me a bit here....

Each  camera when setting up a mode is fully adjustable in sense level and record time

Morse is faster than texting!