Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection through glass?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JFHughes08088
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in a townhouse and am restricted from attaching anything to the outside of the building. As such, I want to know if I have a camera pointing out a window, will motion detection work through the glass?

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo cameras use PIRs to detect motion and will not 'see' motion thru glass as the glass filters out IR. You can manually record thru glass tho. Arlo is really menat to be outside if needed there.

The new Q cam which is an inside cam will detect motion thru glass as it uses a diff method to detect motion

Both will need enough lighting outside to see, when going thru glass AS the IR illuminators will reflect off the window glass and wash out the view.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
arlocurious
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac wrote:

The new Q cam which is an inside cam will detect motion thru glass as it uses a diff method to detect motion

Having been wondering how well the Q motion detection would work thru glass myself.  

TomMac - Where did you find info saying Q uses diff method to detect motion?  (Any info on the differences?  I'd love to read up on it.)

Would like to see input from folks who have tried it and can pass on their experiences!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

arlocurious wrote:

Having been wondering how well the Q motion detection would work thru glass myself.  

TomMac - Where did you find info saying Q uses diff method to detect motion?  (Any info on the differences?  I'd love to read up on it.)

Would like to see input from folks who have tried it and can pass on their experiences!

There is no PIR on the camera in any of the pictures shown.... So base on that, it's not a hard jump to fiq that the Q camera uses 'pixel based' detection like many other cameras out there ( nest being one )...

It actually is a better form of detection as the camera is now "triggered" by changes in what it sees as opposed to using an external tigger device like a PIR.

Pixel based detection will work thru windows

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

as a PS... the new Q has 3 zones you can use to detect motion.

specs here; http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/kit/VMC3040.aspx

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation