Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

option to set for motion detection but no recording?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
wrdavid2
Tutor
Tutor

Is it possible to set up Arlo for motion detection and notification of motion detection without recording?

All I really need to know is when someone is at my front door and at what time and get a notification. I don't need the recording and not having it record ever time would make the batteries last longer.

thanks,

bill

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

not that I know of

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
wrdavid2
Tutor
Tutor

Too bad. The batteries not lasting is a big issue. Seems to me this show system assumes that recordings will be rare and not a daily thing. A security systme for the rare time that someone might break in. That's the only way I can see how they came up with and estmiate of several months for battery life. In my case we are trying to monitor the daily comings and goings of a homecare girl at my father's home. Batteries are about half gone in a couple of days. And I live a 5 hour drive away... one way. Other than that they system is working great. Would be great if they could come up with a 120v adapter to plug in the cameras.

b

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wrdavid2 wrote:

Too bad. The batteries not lasting is a big issue. Seems to me this show system assumes that recordings will be rare and not a daily thing. A security systme for the rare time that someone might break in. That's the only way I can see how they came up with and estmiate of several months for battery life. In my case we are trying to monitor the daily comings and goings of a homecare girl at my father's home. Batteries are about half gone in a couple of days. And I live a 5 hour drive away... one way. Other than that they system is working great. Would be great if they could come up with a 120v adapter to plug in the cameras.

The new Q cam is coming out and is a 24/7 ac power cam with 2 way audio...sounds like it would be better suited for your needs. 
The arlo cam is spec'ed by netgear to 4 mins per day/ optimized video quality to get the battery life they mention
wrdavid2
Tutor
Tutor

The Q Cam is not rated for outdoors. We have the Arlo outdoor watching the front door. No where did I ever see the spec of 4 minutes per day for the Arlo. The advertising seems to intentionally avoid that. But, anyway, we are well under that at about 30 seconds of recording a day... no way the batteries will last 2 or 4 months... will be lucky if they last for one month with IR shut off.. there are 3 'bars' on the battery indicator and the first bar went dark after only 2 days. And yes I have fresh and top of the line Duracel 123 batteries in there from a good and trusted source and batteries from the same batch have performed as expected in my other electronic devices. It would be a simple thing to add the ability to plug an AC adapter into the Arlo... they should make that option.

b

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree the Q cam is not rated for outside...

But I disagree re the battery life for most users... most seem to get 4 months, and I have gotten 7 months out of  2 lightly used cameras... and am not alone in this.

wrdavid2
Tutor
Tutor

Well there are an awful lot of posts here that indicate many users are unhappy with battery life. I only have a week on mine but the battery indicator only showing 2 bars out of 3 after two days would seem to indicate I will be one of them.

The sale literature and even specs are woefully vauge on battery life. They should give number of recording minutes or some other measurable metric instead of the vague statement that it should last 4 to 6 months (I think that's what it said.).. Obviously the more use, the less battery time/days. But they should provide a metric so that potential buyers/users can at least estimate if it will work for them. And... offer an AC adapter.

b

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wrdavid2,

Normal usage is defined as 4 minutes of viewing or recording per day with the Arlo Wire-Free camera in the Optimized setting. 

You can find more information about the expected battery life for Arlo Wire-Free cameras here: What is the battery life for NETGEAR Arlo wireless cameras and how can I extend their life?

JamesC

wrdavid2
Tutor
Tutor

Yes. I read that, but it's still not really specific. Like, is that normal usage at night using the IR night vision? Or during the day when those lights aren't needed for illumination? And the bit about it depends on the wifi connection... that leave a ton of variability... no metrics privided... with difficult wifi reception would that run the batteries down in a day or two? a week? a month? I know if can't be measued by the typical homeowner, but still could give some examples of what the range of results might be under different conditions so we can at least estimate.

b

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation