Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

How can I adjust the motion detection sensitivity so my camera only detects significant motion verses my small pet wondering around the house?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

One of the great features about the Arlo system is that you can adjust the camera's sensitivity to motion. This works especially well when small pets are in the home while everyone else is out and about. The default setting is 80% sensitive and works well in most installations. However, if you find your little four legged loved one is triggering motion too often you can scale down the sensitivity to say 60% and test it out. It may take a few tries to get it dialed in precisely how you want it.

For more information please visit: How do I adjust motion sensitivity.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR!

Arlo Team 

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

One of the great features about the Arlo system is that you can adjust the camera's sensitivity to motion. This works especially well when small pets are in the home while everyone else is out and about. The default setting is 80% sensitive and works well in most installations. However, if you find your little four legged loved one is triggering motion too often you can scale down the sensitivity to say 60% and test it out. It may take a few tries to get it dialed in precisely how you want it.

For more information please visit: How do I adjust motion sensitivity.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR!

Arlo Team 

rak
Guide
Guide
Hello. I was reading this because I had the same question. I clicked on the link to learn how to adjust sensitivity . I don't see the sensitivity slider in the rules section under if the following motion is detected. Only how many videos are created. Can you please advise? Thanks
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

rak wrote:
Hello. I was reading this because I had the same question. I clicked on the link to learn how to adjust sensitivity . I don't see the sensitivity slider in the rules section under if the following motion is detected. Only how many videos are created. Can you please advise? Thanks

Go to SETTINGS, RULES,pick camera...

the sensitivity is the slider listed as " more videos-less videos"

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

SID007
Aspirant
Aspirant

SID007
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'd love to know how you adjust the motion detection sensitivity after this new update, since when going to settings... The rules tab has gone and I've searched everywhere for the solution. Please help as I'm ready to just ditch the whole setup.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SID007,

Take a look at this article: How do I adjust motion and sound sensitivity?

It covers how to adjust the sensitivity settings step by step.

I hope this helps!

JamesC

Mattarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
They updated the app and now I can't find the sensitivity setting at all. Did the new app get rid of that option?
Mattarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I adjusted the sensitivity on my carport because I was doing alot neat that canera and it waking my phone go to much. So I put the sensitivity on 1% and the. The app updated, and I can't find the sensitivity setting. Now that camera is stuck on 1%
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you look at the link JamesC provided above?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mattarlo wrote:
I adjusted the sensitivity on my carport because I was doing alot neat that canera and it waking my phone go to much. So I put the sensitivity on 1% and the. The app updated, and I can't find the sensitivity setting. Now that camera is stuck on 1%

read this

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-adjust-motion-and-sound-sensitivity/ta...

jjdevega
Aspirant
Aspirant
Its under "Motion Detection Test" from My Devices.
jjdevega
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's under "Motion Detection Test" from My Devices.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The sensitivity setting is in the rule for each camera. Mode, devices, edit the specific mode of interest and then pick the camera. Click on Detects Motion and set the sensitivity.

Raven41
Aspirant
Aspirant
The sensitivity slider now goes off screen on iPad and I cannot activate the new setting? What do I do?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't seen this but one way to set things would be to use a computer instead. Not sure why your display would do that.

robinsena
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hoping the respected contributors can help out. I'm going into the Motion Detection Test for my camera to change the sensitivity, but I don't notice a "save" button, so my new sensitivity setting never gets saved. I change the slider to the new sensitivity setting I want, click "back", and when I go back into the Motion Detection Test it's back to the old sensitivity setting. The save button is grayed out in the main settings page for the camera. I must be missing something obvious, hope someone can point it out to me. Thanks.

Raven41
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is a button on right side of slider.  Set sensitivity and click that button to save.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That must be on iOS. No such button on Android or the web. Simply go back and choose save from there.

waynestractor69
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no save button on mine either, everytime I set it it goes back to 5.

RealAlanSmithee
Initiate
Initiate

ArloTeam wrote:

The default setting is 80% sensitive and works well in most installations. However, if you find your little four legged loved one is triggering motion too often you can scale down the sensitivity to say 60% and test it out.

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is all backwards.

To the left (near 0%) there's a man standing still.  To the right (100%) there's a man running. Obviously if you want to make your motion detection more sensitive, you'd move the slider left.

You're saying that changing from 80% to 60% should make the camera less likely to pick up pets, but according to the graphics it should be more likely.

This is very serious. My family's lives are at risk from a violent tenant we can't evict. I keep seeing people leave the house but the camera doesn't trigger when they come in. I was threatened with a weapon in front of a camera but have no evidence for the cops because it didn't record.  As I was writing this message, someone came to my front door at 12:30am and ran away when the dog barked, camera didn't catch them.  Now I'm finding out that 30% (or 15% even) isn't working because the icons on the slider are backwards.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Regardless of whether you think the icons are backwards, the higher the number, the more likely to detect and record motion. Use the MOtion Detection Test in Settings, My Devices, your camera to determine the optimal setting for your scenario.  Note the setting and make it permanent in your modes by clicking on the Mode tab, select your base and then edit any modes you use to set the sensitivity to your liking. Be sure to save.

Also, motion is best detected moving across the FOV, not at the camera. Maybe post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

Suidanm
Aspirant
Aspirant
I adjusted the sensitivity down to 40 percent and switched batteries, and the camera still detects every few minutes. Anything else I can do?
waynestractor69
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have our main camera sensitivity set to 1 and the zone just covering the driveway but it still records every vehicle that drives by the house. Our other camera by the front door is set to 91% and it only captures 2 to 4 times a day, even though someone in the family comes within 4' of it at least 8 or 10 times a day, and it burns through a set of batteries in 24hrs or one of my 20,000mah batteries a week.