Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Dslunceford
Guide
Guide

Is there a thread or place where folks are sharing custom mode "recipe" or step by steps?

Just got a 5 camera system up and playing around with settings and looking to change some behaviors and thought there may be others who have already tried, tested and set up that I could learn from. For instance:

1. I've enabled geo-fencing, but I'd like the front door camera to always be on, even when I'm in home mode and other cameras are disabled
  2. Similarly, in home mode, I have an indoor camera that's part of the scheduled armed state starting approximately at 10:30pm, but frankly I'd like that indoor camera to always be disabled when in home mode, and only enabled when away.
  3. For any/all "armed" modes, I'd like my driveway cam to trigger recording on the door cam as well when motion detected.

...and probably a few more once I continue to get acquainted a bit more...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is very easy to set up CUSTOM Modes...

And yes, you can have one camera start the record on another if wanted.

First read this ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-ca...

(If you using a PRO base, then the siren and usb record section if mentioned apply )

As to usage....

I currently have One camera trigger two others... ( do a search on 'nested rules " ) and one record on a second.

When setting up custom modes, make rules like this;

sense A, recond on A

sense A, record on B

or

sense A , record on B

sense B, record on A

As you can see, you can have many combos to fit a need you have. Also, separate your cameras into groups that work for you like OUTSIDE and INSIDE , LIVINGAREA, etc

with different groupings of camera , you can have MODES that activate only certain areas.

tips;

Any camera NOT in the active  mode will be OFF

Only ONE mode can run at a time

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rekanix
Tutor
Tutor

I'd be very interested in this as well.  As a matter of fact, that's why I joined the community, to see if I could find how others are using theirs.  I have just installed 4 cameras yesterday, and already wanting a fifth.  The problem I'm having is that a "schedule" probably won't work for my home, as I work nights and my family works/goes to school during the day.  What I would be interested in, though, is how to not record everything that goes on in the house while we're home, but I do want it to be monitored, especially the front door, while I'm home asleep?  How easy would it be to set up different modes/rules, etc., or could I switch from one mode to another very easily (like when we're all home, turn it off, but then turn on monitoring on the fly when we want it)?  And even when it's armed, that just means it records when triggered, right?  Even when it's not armed, you can still check live feed if you want, right?  So yeah, I'd love to know more on this topic - thanks for posting!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is very easy to set up CUSTOM Modes...

And yes, you can have one camera start the record on another if wanted.

First read this ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-ca...

(If you using a PRO base, then the siren and usb record section if mentioned apply )

As to usage....

I currently have One camera trigger two others... ( do a search on 'nested rules " ) and one record on a second.

When setting up custom modes, make rules like this;

sense A, recond on A

sense A, record on B

or

sense A , record on B

sense B, record on A

As you can see, you can have many combos to fit a need you have. Also, separate your cameras into groups that work for you like OUTSIDE and INSIDE , LIVINGAREA, etc

with different groupings of camera , you can have MODES that activate only certain areas.

tips;

Any camera NOT in the active  mode will be OFF

Only ONE mode can run at a time

Morse is faster than texting!
Dslunceford
Guide
Guide
Thanks TomMac. I set up a mode that has one camera triggering multiple to record, but I can't see how to accomplish scenario #1 or #2 listed above. Thoughts?
Dslunceford
Guide
Guide
I think I figured it out, partly. Just need more granular modes (wish there was a copy mode feature so you didn't have to start from scratch each time).

Can there be multiple modes enabled for the same scheduled time period?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have the same set up. 5 cameras

Front door camera motion triggers front door camera to record

Front door motion sensor also triggers driveway camera to record

Driveway > driveway

Driveway > front door
Backyard > backyard
Kitchen side of house > Kitchen side of house
Garage side of house > garage side of house

In the self recording modes, I have it set to record for 30s

For the cameras recording from another camera's trigger, I have them set to record for 45 seconds.
This allows me to know which camera detected the motion for the event

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation