Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras Not Showing In Mode Page

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
09KR0058
Tutor
Tutor

After setting up my new Arlo system yesterday, I wanted to tweak the motion sensitivity.  According to the User Manual, this setting is accessed by the following steps:

1. Tap the Arlo icon  on your mobile device.
The Cameras page displays.
2. Click or tap Mode.
A list of cameras displays.

I'm running the iOS app, and when I tap on Mode, I get a My Devices page, but the only thing there is the base station.  None of my cameras are there.  I've noticed a lot of items in the User Manual that begin with those first two steps, but since the cameras don't show up on the Mode page, I can't access any of those settings.

All my cameras are working fine and appear on the Cameras page..  Also, if I go to Settings -> My Devices, it shows the base station and all the cameras.

Any idea why the cameras show in Settings but not Mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

09KR0058 wrote:

After setting up my new Arlo system yesterday, I wanted to tweak the motion sensitivity.  According to the User Manual, this setting is accessed by the following steps:

2. Click or tap Mode.

I'm running the iOS app, and when I tap on Mode, I get a My Devices page, but the only thing there is the base station.  None of my cameras are there.  I've noticed a lot of items in the User Manual that begin with those first two steps, but since the cameras don't show up on the Mode page, I can't access any of those settings.

All my cameras are working fine and appear on the Cameras page..  Also, if I go to Settings -> My Devices, it shows the base station and all the cameras.

Don't pay attention to the printed manual. It's obsolete and Netgear never bothered to update it since its original release early last year; most likely because they change the UI too often.

On the mode page, tap/click on your base station and you should see all defined modes. The selected radio button in front of the mode shows you which mode is the currently active one.

Click on the Edit icon to the right of a mode to modify the rules defined inside a mode. This is where you will be able to create/edit/delete rules that tell your cameras at what sensitivity to react to motion and how long to record a video clip, and, of course, how to issue motion alerts to you.

Note that only one mode can be active at any given time. So, you need to create rules for all cameras that you want to be active at a particular time and combine those into a single mode. Any camera for which no rule has been defined in a given mode will be inactive when that mode is active.

One advice is to not use the default Armed mode, because its configuration options are limited. So, only work with new modes that you create. It's ok to use the Disarmed mode though, and, of course the Scheduled mode, which is not really a mode, but a means to automatically control by time and day when any of your modes are to be active.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
erniemccrackin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I second that.  Same problem I'm running into.  Someone help, I thought these were suppose to be simple.

09KR0058
Tutor
Tutor

BTW, just checked the website (arlo.netgear.com) and its the same scenario there.  All cameras show in Settings, but only the base station in Mode, so this is not just an iOS issue.

trickytcamgeek
Luminary
Luminary

The most likely cause is that you have two Arlo accounts.  You can see the images because one account has authorised the other, but in mode you will only see the base station if you are logged in to the wrong account.

solution:  log out and log in again with your other email address.

09KR0058
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but that's not it.  I never had an Arlo account until I installed this system yesterday.

I also just went to Settings -> Grant Access, and there are no others defined there.  Isn't that where I would confirm there is not another account?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

09KR0058 wrote:

2. Click or tap Mode.

Don't pay attention to the printed manual. It's obsolete and Netgear never bothered to update it since its original release early last year; most likely because they change the UI too often.

On the mode page, tap/click on your base station and you should see all defined modes. The selected radio button in front of the mode shows you which mode is the currently active one.

Click on the Edit icon to the right of a mode to modify the rules defined inside a mode. This is where you will be able to create/edit/delete rules that tell your cameras at what sensitivity to react to motion and how long to record a video clip, and, of course, how to issue motion alerts to you.

Note that only one mode can be active at any given time. So, you need to create rules for all cameras that you want to be active at a particular time and combine those into a single mode. Any camera for which no rule has been defined in a given mode will be inactive when that mode is active.

One advice is to not use the default Armed mode, because its configuration options are limited. So, only work with new modes that you create. It's ok to use the Disarmed mode though, and, of course the Scheduled mode, which is not really a mode, but a means to automatically control by time and day when any of your modes are to be active.

09KR0058
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you!  That's just what I was looking for.  I was able to create a new mode, with the tweaks I wanted, on all my cameras.  I then set that mode as my Away Mode in Geofencing.  Its working perfectly.

Having spent 30+ years in software development, I know what a pain in the a$$ documentation can be, but it is a neccesary evil.  I can't help but wonder how many people have just given up, and even returned the product, when the documentation doesn't match the functionality.

trickytcamgeek
Luminary
Luminary

It's interesting that they decided to not bother updating the documentation.  Maybe they think nobody reads it.  This is probably true.

I think we have moved into a world where people simply don't, or won't read the documentation.   They expect products to work intuitively.   If a product doesn't simply work, right out of the box, then it's not really fit for the purpose.  I hope that Netgear/Arlo will take this on board when designing their next product line.  

Lancegibler
Tutor
Tutor
This is a mess
BSki
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent an hour trying to figure this out as well! Thanks for the info.  I work in the software dev industry and documentation is key - even if electronic 🙂

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation