Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
forrester08
Follower
Follower

Does anyone know how to check the available cloud storage now that the app has been updated?  I used to be able to check under subscription, and now I am unable to.

24 REPLIES 24
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

forrester08 wrote:

Does anyone know how to check the available cloud storage now that the app has been updated?  I used to be able to check under subscription, and now I am unable to.

It appears ( from the FAQ ) that there no longer is any limit to the data storage... It is now only based on the # of days in your service level.

That's 7, 30 ,or 60 days and then everything is auto deleted on your DAYS +1.  ( no recycel bin either so d/l and vids you want to save )

(( so if you have basic which is 7 days, on day 8 any data from day 1 is deleted ...etc ))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ArloLG
Star
Star

You can't. They removed this option which I wrote to customer support about. Their response "sorry".

Netgear has made multiple negative changes to their system. My recommendation is to email customer support directly to register all of your complaints because they apparantly don't care and won't care unless enough people notify them. The community is just users like yourself who can do nothing except contact customer support. Numbers count, so contact support.

The response I have received from Support has been "sorry" with no commitment to fix or respond to anything.

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's absolutely ridiculous! Good way to lose customers! But on the flip side, I have yet to see a better home monitoring product, so...have to weigh the pros and cons here. Thank you all for helping.

Djotto
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks i was wondering about the amount of storage we have
pdxatx
Guide
Guide
Does this mean that "favorites" will now get deleted if older that 7 days ?

Really horrible changes to the app and system functionality in the past few months, I could not recommend this system to any friend or family member
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

pdxatx wrote:
Does this mean that "favorites" will now get deleted if older that 7 days ?

Really horrible changes to the app and system functionality in the past few months, I could not recommend this system to any friend or family member

YES.... FAVORITES WILL BE DELETED,  

So download them if you want to save them... Favorites were never really to be a permanent save feature from way back when, but more of a FILTER option .

pdxatx
Guide
Guide
In the past favorites remained in the cloud. Even past 7 days which is what most of us use.

Just another feature being deleted by Netgear, they have taken a bad direction with their recents changes.
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is ANYONE from Netgear even reading these posts??? If so, speak up and tell us why your "upgrades" are really DOWNGRADES and why you would remove good and solid features. Do you want to LOSE customers? Just wondering!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As TomMac states correctly above, the favorites feature has not been changed in any way and is intended to be used only as a library filter. Any content users wish to retain past their subscriptions allocated time frame (7 days for Basic) should be downloaded and stored locally.

JamesC

pdxatx
Guide
Guide
There was a change, now you guys are having a strict 7 day cutoff.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

pdxatx wrote:
In the past favorites remained in the cloud. Even past 7 days which is what most of us use.

Just another feature being deleted by Netgear, they have taken a bad direction with their recents changes.

The major reason for this was really not a feature but "slow house keeping" on the part of the program running the servers.

If you look back to early threads, you see a common threa where people asked about having files removed from the recycle bin and it was sometimes a month ( instead of 7 days ) before the servers would act.....

Now the day limit is working exactly as it should and the lost of the recycle bin ( which many complained about btw ) was traded off for more bases/storage limits.

For me its fine.  You have access to the files at home or away and just have to d/l thos files wanted to save.

As a PS, there is a option, tho it is $ , to get 30 or 60 days.... a small price to pay, esp since you can buy it on a monthly basis if going on vacation.

pdxatx
Guide
Guide
Thanks for confirming that there was indeed a change in how our files are being handled by netgear, and thus favorites are now being deleted.

Again it's a negative change.

One of Arlo's key advertisements is "free" cloud service to differentiate them from Dropcam/nest. That differential is now becoming less.

The hardware upfront cost is apparently not enough now for netgear.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

pdxatx wrote:
Thanks for confirming that there was indeed a change in how our files are being handled by netgear, and thus favorites are now being deleted.

I agree how Netgear handles files have changed, to the point of they're deleting now on time.

I did not say that favorites would ever be saved, as mentioned above Favorites was/is really a form of filter option.

(I don't see it as a negitive change, I pay for 30 days and have from the start).... in effect it was more of a give-take on different items.

And, I honestly feel the 5 cams / unlimited bases / 7 days for free is a good deal.... YMMV

pdxatx
Guide
Guide
Tom you are not representing Netgear. My comments are to Netgear and not you.

To the rest of us, previously favorites did remain in the cloud unless the memory got full.
With the recent changes Netgear are now deleting everything older than 7 days.

The system is not as good of value as it once was.

Remember that subscription services such as Dropcam/nest have 24hr recording not just when motion is detected.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pdxatx,

To follow up on what TomMac has already stated...No content will remain in the cloud after your maximum allocated subscription time limit (7 days for Basic), this includes favorites. The favorites feature has never been an exception to allow content to remain on the cloud beyond the subscription time limit, it is only used as a filter for content in your library, this has not changed.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And cameras that plug in have the ability to do 24/7 recording, as does the Arlo Q. Find another  battery-operated camera that offers 24/7 recording.

pdxatx
Guide
Guide
James C, I trust that you are forwarding back this feedback to your project manager.
I'm sure that customer feedback is appreciated for your product.
The recent changes have been less that positive.

In my case when I first purchased an Arlo system it was through feedback from another owner. Obviously it's in your interest to continue to have positive changes for your product.
pdxatx
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

And cameras that plug in have the ability to do 24/7 recording, as does the Arlo Q. Find another  battery-operated camera that offers 24/7 recording.

The Arlo Q is a new product.

My comments are in reference to the Arlo battery system which is what drew many of us in. This is the product that we have seen a number of changes on recently including how files are being handled.

The 24/7 hr products are in a different league and more justified in charging a cloud based fee for storage.

skate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I find it a bit disturbing that I cannot check space usage. The basic plan says 7 days up to 1GB but I cannot check how much of that 1GB I am using, nor is it clear what happens if I exceed that storage amount.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's old info. The latest is that there is no space limitation now, only the number of days according to your plan.

Jagerhund
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand what you are saying, but I wish to see this from Netgear.  I've seen nothing officially stating that there is now no limit.  If there is a limit, Netgear must give us a way to check it.  I feel as though they are holding our accounts hostage.

dpswbab
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's now April 2017 and the documentation on my new Arlo Q system still says the free account is 7 days and LIMITED to 1Gb of storage, Can anyone point me to a Netgear statement that says otherwise? Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no documentation that I know of that says the space limitation isn't enforced other than previous posts by Netgear employees (search here).  I can categorically state that the  limit isn't enforced since I have had more like 2GB of videos on the free 7 day plan.

dpswbab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation