Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Movement notification emails snapshot from middle of video clip

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ploughguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

When Arlo detects movement, he sends an email with the last frame of the video clip.  Often, mostly, in my case, the action of interest is gone by this point.

Consider adding a per-camera enhancement that allows us to choose the number of seconds from the start for the snapshot.

Thank you for an excellent product.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ploughguy,

Email alerts contain a link to the recording and are sent only after the recording is completed, so this would not be possible.

Push notifications however are instant (as soon as the camera starts recording, a push notification is sent). In your case, push notifications may be the best solution for your needs.

JamesC

ploughguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Email alerts contain a link to the recording and are sent only after the recording is completed, so this would not be possible.

I disagree. The photo in the email has to come from somewhere.  Something is looking at the vid and choosing a frame to include in the email message.  It is choosing what seems to be the last frame of a fixed length clip.  In reality, this is the frame least likely to contain useful information.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The embedded image isn't from the end but a couple of seconds into the video, from my experience.  I don't know why that was chosen but may be due to the occasional video glitch at the very beginning when the camera is trying to adjust exposure.

In any event, it is what it is.  You can check out the Feature Request section here to add kudos to existing posts or add your own post.  More kudos can lead to a new feature.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation