Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BMoffitt
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all-

I have two Arlo cameras mounted outside; and I am very dissapointed in the security feature of capturing video on motion detect. The problem I see is that the camera does start recording on a motion detection, but its about 5-6sec later than the event. I have several cases captured where a person triggered the motion detect; but when started to record- the person was already out of view.

I hope that Netgear engineers hear this complaint; and fix with a sw update.

Anyone else see this slownesss of motion detect to start of recording?

Thanks...

Barry

33 REPLIES 33
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may not be a firmware problem b ut a camera position one.  I have about a 2 second delay (that's about the best you can get) by having motion across the field of view, mostly starting at or near an edge of the view.  Motion that has more vector directly towards the camera causes more delay.  Post a screenshot - maybe that will help.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are not the only one having problem with motion detection. No matter how you position the cameras these junk will always have a delay. Not a real security cameras.....These are security cameras you shouldn't have to play around to get it working. Listen to all the complainer around here....

NerdGlasses
Star
Star
Yeah I've tried every possible variable. These are def worthless for real security. I've been complaining since product launch and still not fixed. Don't hold your breath that they will fix it.
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
The problem is network lag, the base doesn't have a constant connection to the cloud per say, so when the camera tells the base it needs to start recording the base has to establish a connection to the cloud then I assume authenticate in some way, but any network hiccup can cause this process to take an extra 2-3 seconds, the best fix would be to plug a usb drive into the base have the video record to the usb drive, then upload to the cloud from the drive once the recording is done. The only lag would be the camera lens opening at this point, and the base would be uploading a recorded video not a live stream. I put this idea on the idea exchange if u agree head over here to give kudos https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Minimize-lag-by-saving-to-USB-drive-first/idi-p/...
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I still get the emails from replies on this thread but I have removed the cameras and went with a wired system instead, the wired system works great it detects motion a thousand times better and then goes back and records 10 seconds before the motion trigger. Also the triggering one or more cameras when another detects motion is awesome on a wired system.I didn't expect Arlo to be as good as a wired system but it was worthless as it missed vandalism to my house and multiple times a day would miss the mail man, ups etc. i will forewarn anyone thinking about returning it make sure u know the return policy of where u bought it from, bestbuy only gives u 15 days, which I was past by the time Arlo started showing its true colors and netgear was absolutely useless and offered nothing but giving me another system. So buyer beware! I won't bash Arlo as it could be a good system I just hope netgear listens before everyone does what I did, but my family and home security can't wait for them to act!
Shoeless
Star
Star

I just installed Arlo and when I accidentally leave the interior camera armed when I'm at home, it most often misses me walking through the room because of the lag time. I just did it (accidentally) and when I played the video back, it has 60 seconds of NOTHING because by the time the motion sensed me and started recording, I was already through the room and out of the camera's view. Hmmmm... still evaluating whether the system makes sense given such a lag. 

The RING video doorbell has a similar challenge sometimes. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The strength of the WiFi connection as well as the positioning of the camera may be at fault. Is motion across the FOV starting at or near and edge?

Shoeless
Star
Star

The wifi extender and the camera are in the same room, so I wouldn't think that wifi is the issue. 

I was walking across the FOV from the edge. Maybe I'm just a super fast walker! 

ktripp
Tutor
Tutor

I had same delay issues, so I'd like to weigh in here and tell you how I've solved it for now. 

I have 4 wireless Arlo cams and was too often getting the same delay and seeing the backs of heads as the person (me, actually) crusied by. 

So... I put a rule on one cam to start another cam on motion detection:

I put cam-A in an area very close to the master bedroom that a burglar MUST pass thru on the way to that bedroom (which every good burglar knows is the first place to look for all that cash and gold and diamonds, etc).  It's also a place that is close to several large uncovered windows facing several neighbor houses - and my theory is the bad guy will move very quickly past the windows, so not to be seen, and into the mstr bdrm.  

But the rules for that cam-A say to start bedroom cam-B when cam-A sees motion.  That way, cam-B is running (increase the run time for cam-B if you must) before bad guy even enters. Gives me full face view as they enter the room. 

It may be a useful work-around for some.

Vanbeard
Initiate
Initiate
Yes
Spicycle
Initiate
Initiate
UPS dropped off a package, rang the doorbell but was not captured by Arlo. Was he too quick to be detected? This is really disappointing. As a single woman who is renting and has recently had a break in, this is very unsettling. There is too much of a delay with detecting motion.
adamkrez
Initiate
Initiate

bmattox79 wrote:
I still get the emails from replies on this thread but I have removed the cameras and went with a wired system instead, the wired system works great it detects motion a thousand times better and then goes back and records 10 seconds before the motion trigger. Also the triggering one or more cameras when another detects motion is awesome on a wired system.I didn't expect Arlo to be as good as a wired system but it was worthless as it missed vandalism to my house and multiple times a day would miss the mail man, ups etc. i will forewarn anyone thinking about returning it make sure u know the return policy of where u bought it from, bestbuy only gives u 15 days, which I was past by the time Arlo started showing its true colors and netgear was absolutely useless and offered nothing but giving me another system. So buyer beware! I won't bash Arlo as it could be a good system I just hope netgear listens before everyone does what I did, but my family and home security can't wait for them to act!

Out of curiosity, which system did you go with? I want to have a backup in mind in case I decide that I'm not happy with Arlo.

Shoeless
Star
Star

Lately my Arlo has been detecting motion in the family room in the middle of the night. Twice I have checked the video and nothing is there. The same thing happens on my outdoor basement camera. I can see in the video that the motion lights outside the basement door are illuminated, so SOMETHING triggered them, but Arlo can't catch whatever it is. I really don't want to go with a wired system. ((sigh))

ktripp
Tutor
Tutor

I think it's pretty clear, shoeless... you got ghosts!     Cat Mad

Actually, I don't have a resolution for this.  I have found, however, not to allow a window or glass door in the background as sometimes the motion is outside from passing autos or people walking or my flag on the porch or whatever.

I'm guessing it's not that, tho.  Is there a sensitivity setting in Arlo? I don't have it up right now, but that could fix it if available.  

Sorry... I'm not being much help.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sensitivity is set in your modes and rules.  Use the Mode tab, click on your base.  Edit your modes (Armed by default) using the pencil or > icon. All settings are in there.

Better yet, create your own custom mode(s) for complete control.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I went with nightowl 8 channel dvr system. Comes with 4 1080p night vision cameras, aside from having to run the wires which wasn't horrible just time consuming I love the system, email alerts ot notifications through the app on motion detection. Cameras pre record approx 5 seconds before motion. With 1 min record times and each camera triggering another camera on motion I get about 3 months storage.
Tech363
Tutor
Tutor
I think the sluggish response is the responsibility of Netgear to resolve and not us consumers. My father has a Blink camera system that was $100 cheaper and great response time to motion, as well as much better features to personalize than that of Arlo. Had we not bought the Blink after the Arlo purchase, my camera system would be Blink as well. Netgear should address and resolve the issue.
Tech363
Tutor
Tutor

Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

It seems the system has slowed as more cameras have been sold. In the beginning, years ago, I was capturing video movement very quickly. Now I look at the video and whatever caused the motion is long gone. The battery powered older ones seems to be most affected. I also have two that use line voltage and they seem to be a bit faster.

Nothappy2
Initiate
Initiate

Detection issue is the whole need for these devices. if I don't get a spelled out fix,I'm returning it monday

Tech363
Tutor
Tutor
From my experience, a refund is your best option. My father has Blink and it has way better response.
sdhtran
Star
Star

The recording lag makes this thing almost worthless. I set it up to make the wife feel better but I am not going to hold my breath thinking we'll get any usuable video from this. mailman recently dropped off a packaged and we got nothing of him walking the 25 feet from the sidewalk to our door. We only got video as he turned his back to walk back to his truck. I can't believe this can't be fixed by some better hardware or that they released this product with this kind of problem at all.

Tech363
Tutor
Tutor

This is the last NetGear product I purchase. I've had spotty service with it recently and I've seen no updates that improve the quality of service. Blink cameras seem to be the best I've seen so far.

sassynonna
Initiate
Initiate

I am having same problem.  Very disappointed in these security cameras.  I have some Samsung cameras at a different location and they work great only thing is they aren't for outdoors and these are.  That's why I bought them.  So far everytime I get a notification nothing is there because the delay is so long for recording.