Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Android App states "You are not connected to the internet..."

Discussion stats
peterK
Guide
Guide

I installed Arlo this past weekend and so far everything has been good - mostly.  The Arlo app on my Galaxy S4 is DOA.  Every time I try to log in while NOT connected to wifi I get the error message "You are not connected to the internet.  Please check your connection."  I get notifications of motion detection, but cant log in via the app.  Clearly I am connected to the internet as all other apps and functions work fine.  When I clear that error and try again, I get "An unexpected error occurred.  Please try again."  When I turn on wifi, everything runs fine.  My wife has the iPhone app and she is not seeing this same problem.

36 REPLIES 36
GlueStick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: I switched Wi-Fi off and connected to mobile data; it caused the notification to go away. Turned Wi-Fi back on and it didn't reappear. Seems to be something relating to Wi-Fi...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried WiFi from another location? You can try power cycling the router and base to see if that helps.

GlueStick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, sometimes I would be out and about and the notification would pop up and go away randomly. I've never actively noticed it to be related to Wi-Fi but I will now pay attention when I head to work tomorrow.

SteveHauser
Aspirant
Aspirant
You must remove basestation from app and reinstall as new doing cords and everything...then resync all cameras. If it says update camera,and it doesnt take,remove battery and reinstall battery and resync and update will take. Its like starting from scratch but it was the only thing that worked!!!!
SteveHauser
Aspirant
Aspirant
Re install as new after you remove basestation from app and resync every camera and no problem. Only thing that worked for me,tried everything else.
djsassan
Star
Star

Add me to the list.  I have a Samsung S7, wife has an LG G5, and this started about a month ago with no known changes to the account or anything.  Has a root cause been determined, as well as a solution?  Very concerning, especially since this has been a known issue for over two years now according to the posts.

How do we get past this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not that widespread.  Try restarting your phones.  Does this happen on both cell and WiFi service?

djsassan
Star
Star
Thank you for your basic suggestion of rebooting the phones.

This has been happening for a month, yes both cellular and wifi, have uninstalled app, heck have even done a master reset on both phone (different reason, but still impacts this situation) and the issue persists.

A known issue occurring for multiple people over the past two years is widespread and not isolated.

Next step?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No answer here but to be widespread would cause this board to be swamped with reports. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had that error in the 2+ years I've had Arlo cameras.

Have you opened a case with support?

djsassan
Star
Star

yes

MikePi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Engaged tech support several times. No real solution--their only answer is to unplug, reset, etc. but, of course, I had and have already tried that many times. The only thing that seems to work is to try the app again later after making exactly zero changes or resets. I suspect what's really going on is that when I get an error stating that I'M not connected to the Internet, it actually means "Netgear servers are undersized and we can't handle the customer load at the moment."
gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

Android phone, get this message on occasion. It seems I can log into my system and access it....