Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Android App states "You are not connected to the internet..."

Discussion stats
peterK
Guide
Guide

I installed Arlo this past weekend and so far everything has been good - mostly.  The Arlo app on my Galaxy S4 is DOA.  Every time I try to log in while NOT connected to wifi I get the error message "You are not connected to the internet.  Please check your connection."  I get notifications of motion detection, but cant log in via the app.  Clearly I am connected to the internet as all other apps and functions work fine.  When I clear that error and try again, I get "An unexpected error occurred.  Please try again."  When I turn on wifi, everything runs fine.  My wife has the iPhone app and she is not seeing this same problem.

36 REPLIES 36
JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello peterK, 

I would like to help you resolve this issue. Did you by any chance tried to uninstall and reinstall the app? If you do, try clearing the app data and chace.  I am also using an android phone (Lolipop 5.0) and have not seen an issue. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
peterK
Guide
Guide

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app twice now.  I have cleared the app data and cache as well.  I am still having the same issues.  I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Andrioid version 4.3.  Any help would be appreciated.  This not working takes way a big portion of the arlo attractiveness.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

peterK,

I am currently running the app on a Samsung Galaxy S4 with android version 4.4.2 and it works perfectly.  Try updating your Samsung Galaxy S4 to android version 4.4.2 and reinstalling the Arlo app.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for your contribution!

JamesC

MikePi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A running Android 5.0.2. Cleared data and cache, reinstalled Arlo app, but the app still says "You are not connected to the internet."  I'm on the internet typing this so this error appears a bit humorous. Please fix the app. Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does this model support cell service, too?  If so, does that work ok?  How about logging out and back in?

MikePi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. No, my Tab A does not have cellular but I am trying to use Arlo through my phone's connection to the internet. All my other apps connect just fine when tethered to my phone.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's likely the tether that's causing it. By any chance is the tether via BT? If so, that's a known issue. You could try USB or WiFi tethering to see if that helps.

MikePi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for letting me know BT is a known issue. .. I hope they fix it. Every other app I have seems to work fine over BT tether.  

Thilivren
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello!

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my Minix Neo Z64 Android Media Center. The App works perfectly fine on my phone, PC and tablet, but nor on my Minix Android Media Center. I downloaded the app from Google Play (latest version).

Every time I try to connect, it states: "You are not connected to the internet, please check your Internet connection".

And yes, I AM connected to the Internet. Other Internet-based apps are working just fine, and I am also able to surf via Google Chrome.

Any solution to this problem?

"...from an otherwise very satisfied customer :)"

Nils Henrik Rønning

Norway

-----------------------------------------------------
Nils Henrik Rønning
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't think many of us are using that hardware.  Please describe what it is, how it's connected, etc with as much detail as possible.  WHat are the LEDs on the base showing?  ARe you using tethering of any sort?  

Thilivren
Aspirant
Aspirant
Minix Neo Z64 Android is a media center Pc with Android OS, with the same functionality as an android phone or tablet (with access to all google apps via Google Play Store). It is connected to my router through an ethernet cable. The base station and both wifi cameras are working fine on all other devices, except the Minix. Here is a link which describes the Minix Neo more in detail: http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-z64-android

Nils Henrik
Nils Henrik Rønning
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't say what's happening.  It may be that the version of Android (4.4.4 according to the website) has an issue, especially if it's modified for any reason.  I suppose you could see if a custom ROM is available to put a newer OS on but I suspect not.

Since it's working on everything else, it's something with the device, probably the embedded OS, that's the issue.  Good luck on that.

Adewale
Luminary
Luminary
I'm having a similar problem viewing live videos although the cameras are recording to the cloud. It's really annoying. I'm using an android device running marshmallow
Thilivren
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK!

So I finally figured out what was causing the problem.

Apparently, the Arlo App does not support connectivity through an ethernet cable. After disconnecting the ethernet cable from my android device and coonecting it to my router via wifi, the Arlo app was able to connect and log in without any problems.

Tried several times, back and forth, with the same result: Ethernet cable = No connection and Wifi = Connection OK.

Would it be possible to maybe add a feature in the Arlo app which adds cabled network compatibility?

Regards,

Nils Henrik Ronning

Nils Henrik Rønning
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Huh. I know Arlo apps don't work with Bluetooth tethering so it's apparently an issue of which network interfaces it checks. Interesting...

Kimberlee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem on my Kindle HD Fire. it worked fine as of last week and now i get "You are not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection." I have tried ALL the tricks to get it working properly, but no luck. i cannot view my cameras at all!

Kimberlee
Aspirant
Aspirant

My kindle is connect via wireless WiFi, and it's the only app that won't connect. So same problem here, but I've had no luck in connecting via WiFi. Ugh! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kimberlee,

Do you see the same behavior when attempting to view cameras using a different device (phone/web client)?

Consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button on the back of the base) and try again.

JamesC

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Kimberlee wrote:

Same problem on my Kindle HD Fire. it worked fine as of last week and now i get "You are not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection." I have tried ALL the tricks to get it working properly, but no luck. i cannot view my cameras at all!

JamesC wrote:

Kimberlee,

Do you see the same behavior when attempting to view cameras using a different device (phone/web client)?

Consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button on the back of the base) and try again.

JamesC

Hi James....

Running a Kindle Fire ( first gen, OS  7.5.1 and app 2.0.3.12017 ) seeing the same problem, last tested a couple weeks back and now NG. ( "not connected to internet ... " )

Restarted the base unit, re-set the base unit, still NG, not problem on IOS Ipad 9.3.3, Anoidroid 4.42 phone , or web

Also noted Arlo is not in the Kindle store as app ( have app from previous d/l in cloud )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
cindyo10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am having the same problem with both my HTC Android phone (Android version 4.0.3) and Amazon Kindle HD tablet (version 8.5.1). Both were working fine until a couple of weeks ago, now both return an error message that I am not connected to the Internet, however my Windows desktop PC is connecting with no problems. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the Arlo app from both the phone and Kindle tablet. No change - both are still displaying the "no connection to the Internet" error. I also can no longer login to my account using the webpage https:\\arlo.netgear.com\#\login – the login has been replaced by app download links. I hope the login is restored soon to use as an alternative until the Android apps are fixed.

Cindy

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are to many people having the same problem with the same app for it to be on 'our' end...

Wait till tomorrow and I think Netgear will get on it for a solution

Morse is faster than texting!
jontemp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same problem, for about 1-2 weeks I can't view camera on any of the phones.

Was working fine for over 1 year, until some upgrade that Netgear was pushed.
On 2 phones, Android HTC 4.0.4 and Galaxy S III 4.4.2 I get " You are not connected to the internet.." message. 
I can view camera just fine from any laptop, so network is fine.
BTW, I did reset base station, synce'd camera etc.
No change.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have not been able to replicate this issue.

The Android app requires Android version 4.1 or higher, this could be causing the issue for those indicating they have older versions above.

I will escalate this topic for further investigation.

Thank you,

JamesC

GlueStick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Has this been escalated and investigated? I am seeing the same issue on my phone and also my dad's phone. He has an HTC Desite 816 running Android 6.0 and I am using a Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1. We are both seeing the "not connected to the internet" issue.

It will only come and go a few times a week. As you can see from the screenshot, I am on Wi-Fi and have plenty of signal for mobile data yet the notification is present and simply won't go away. It's been there for the past 9 hours or so and I expect it to vanish soon:

Screenshot_20170213-095328.png

Any further investigation would be appreciated.

Thanks,