Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, a new android version is available on Google Play Store and I am scare to install it because too many bugs in the previous version...

If you install it, can you wrote the bugs in this post and can you also tell me if the new version have new features ...they only wrote : " Bug Fixes "

Thanks

Cassidy

28 REPLIES 28
phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant

updated new version, now my camera tab says "Your device is offline" you cannot see it "Live", but I can see my cameras on the browser fine.

before the upgrade I was able to see the cameras. I can see the app doing the time updates like, "3m ago", "10m ago"

Yes I have "power cycle" the 2x cameras, restarted the base station.

Does Netgear do a thorough test before releasing?

I was going to buy more cameras but after bugs like the battery indicator (need to power cycle if cold weather) displaying low battery all the time. I don't think I will.

phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to downgrade to previous version?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Upgraded to the new Android app... running OS 4.4.2 on an LG phone

Saw no problems with the new version at all.

If your having problems/trouble don't forget to post the OS and device model so the techs can try and dupe your conditions

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant
sorry am new.
android os 5.1.1 LG V10 H962 model
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm having an issue like this but only with a camera attached to my R7000 router.  The base station cameras are working fine.  I can verify that the camera is recording and can kinda live view - still a green screen and can take a video/snapshot that shows up in the library.  However, as stated earlier, the base station cameras always show fine.

I back-dated my app on one phone just to try it using apkpure.com and downloaded the 2.1.0 version.  You have to uninstall the current app to be able to install the old version.  Of course, you're downloading from the Internet, not the store.  I haven't had a problem and scanned the file first but there's always a chance...

Create a trouble ticket.  That way bugs can be properly addressed.

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Phankhi:

Remember this, next time you want to upgrade the Arlo App, do the following suggestion. You surely have a file manager on your device like ES File Manager ...Before upgrading, go in the APKs folder, you'll see Arlo and you can save it anywhere Before upgrading...(with ES i have to click and hold the Arlo app until ES put a checkmark on it...after i click on save and backup this App)

If you want it back, you can write to me in private and I can send you mine...don't trust the APK you found on Internet, I scrap my first tablet like that even if I check the download application with 2 differents anti-virus...( they never see the virus in it). Sometimes, you can found back a older application on Amazon store, they are rarely up yo date 😉

Also, to be more sure, ANY ARLO TECHNICIAN HERE can send it to you ( i hope), like JamesC or other...this should be the most secure way ! If Arlo moderator here can give us a link to found older Arlo application...it would be nice 🙂 

Cassidy

phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant
sorry am new.
android os 5.1.1 LG V10 H962 model
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cassidy wrote:

Phankhi:

Remember this, next time you want to upgrade the Arlo App, do the following suggestion. You surely have a file manager on your device like ES File Manager ...Before upgrading, go in the APKs folder, you'll see Arlo and you can save it anywhere Before upgrading...(with ES i have to click and hold the Arlo app until ES put a checkmark on it...after i click on save and backup this App)

If you want it back, you can write to me in private and I can send you mine...don't trust the APK you found on Internet, I scrap my first tablet like that even if I check the download application with 2 differents anti-virus...( they never see the virus in it). Sometimes, you can found back a older application on Amazon store, they are rarely up yo date 😉

Just a few observations.  You can't just save the APK without being rooted since it's in a system folder that file managers can't access (/data/app).  You may be able to backup the app using a tool but I suspect you still have to be rooted.

Also, while I would tend to be ok with you sending me the file, it's still from an unknown source on the Internet.  There's no real difference between using apkpure.com or you in this regard.  Wherever you get the file I would strongly suggest scanning it prior to installing it.  

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Jguerdat:

You can't just save the APK without being rooted since it's in a system folder that file managers can't access (/data/app).

With ES Explorer, you can on a android tablet ..

You may be able to backup the app using a tool but I suspect you still have to be rooted. My tablet is not rooted...don't know if it works with phone..

Also, while I would tend to be ok with you sending me the file, it's still from an unknown source on the Internet. Google play store was the source.

There's no real difference between using apkpure.com or you in this regard.  Wherever you get the file I would strongly suggest scanning it prior to installing it. You are right, you always have to scan ANY file Before installing.

Maybe JamesC can give us a better way to retreive the Arlo apk ! 

Cassidy

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I tried using your method on my Nexus 6 using the Library selection in ES File Explorer.  I see no way to actually backup the apk.  It might be possible using the device to device sharing method - didn't try.

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Screenshot_2016-07-10-12-25-50.png

In the library, click on APP at your left, program you download with google play store or else are there.

Press and hold Arlo app until you got a checkmark on it and save

If you want to reinstall, just remember the folder where you save it...I also send it to me by email and test it on my oldest tablet android 4.2.2 where Google Play Store told me this version was now incompatible with this tablet and SURPRISE : it workssssssssssss ....yes yes yes yahooooo

Cassidy

N.B. ES Explorer will be in your langage if you install it 

Sauvegarder = Save in English

Bibliothèque = Library in english

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wow!  Your version of ESFE is different from mine.  I do have the Pro version but I have no save button.  I was able to share it to Dropbox so that gives me the capability to do something but not to directly save it locally.  Thanks for pointing this type of action out - should be useful for anyone who wants to be cautious when updating the app.  Just be aware that you have to uninstall the newer app to be able to backdate it.

WarrenB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed my new Arlo wireless security system - i'm an Android mobile phone user....but have read the bad feedback on the problems with the app..therefore set up with iPad.  Worked like a dream...got everything set up via the iPad....all went well.  HOWEVER...once I tried to get the Arlo app on my Samsung Galaxy S7 GM-G9350 with Android 6.0.1 to work I suffered the following problem - YOUR DEVICE IS OFFLINE.  I'm pretty dissapointed that I cannot have access to my cameras via my mobile because of a poorly functioning app.  Netgear - please address this problem..

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Maybe you don't press and hold the Arlo App enough longer ?

Follow the same steps and BEFORE  to press and hold Arlo app, check if you have a "Select Button" at the buttom of your page...if you have it just click on it and select your Arlo app and NOW you have the "Save" possibility in the bottom of your page..

Sélectionner = Select in english

Hope it is clear enough...

Just be aware that you have to uninstall the newer app to be able to backdate it

Not sure I understand this...I save and backup Arlo App BEFORE installing the new one...if the new one have too many bugs, i uninstall it and re-install the older one then I save..

Screenshot_2016-07-11-13-19-51.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, got the checkmark with no issue.  There are options at the bottom but no save.  I'll grab a screenshot later.

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Jguerdat

In the ES explorer  program settings , go to your display settings and put a hook to " show the selection button " ... now everything should work ...if not, change your program for the basic version Man Tongue

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Finally figured it out - yes, I'm slow.  😛  There's a "Backup" selection at the bottom which works fine.  I think I was looking at that bar at the wrong times to not notice it.  Of course, my wife tells me I'm blind since she finds things I've been looking for with no problem...

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Jguerdat

Now you found how and where to save a .APK program file, should be fun to put a printscreen image of your ES Explorer program to show to people how to proceed with the english version and where to click to save a program BEFORE installing a new version of this program.

Cassidy

Kdarmy
Tutor
Tutor

Im currently having problems too with my S5...the newer 2.1.1 version which I updated to, will not work!...the cameras never connect.

I had to go online and download the older version 2.1.0_12984 (which was the version avalible 2 weeks ago when I bought mine).

Once I went back to the older version everything works. 

Cassidy
Luminary
Luminary

Normally, when a company announces an update , people can't wait to discover the new features and they are happy to install it. With Arlo, the opposite happens , people are afraid to see the errors of the new update and are anxious by installing it...

I say unfortunately too many times, I do not think the programmers for the ANDROID Version check their program before putting it on the Google Play Store. They don't care...

I do not remember seeing anyone complain of Arlo application among users Ipad....

Anyway, just remember this: before installing the New Arlo  Android Update, for your security, Save the oldest one like it is explain in this post...

Cassidy

N.B. i am not happy writing those negatives points but...i always say, cameras are good but programmers...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Couple of screenshots, first is a tablet in landscape mode, the second is phone in portrait since the displays are different:

tablet landscape.png

phone portrait.png

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue is currently under investigation and has been escalated to the engineering team. Thank you for the feedback and any additional information concerning this issue is appreciated.

JamesC

phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant
hi
there is a new Android app version out 2.1.2
does this fix the live camera app?
Kdarmy
Tutor
Tutor
Success!....I updated to 2.1.2 and it works!!
Camera even come up quicker now too, and everything seems to work fine....will test more when I have time later today.
Thank You Arlo team!!!
Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation