Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection Does Not Work -HELP

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Brandont521
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed a Arlo wire-free camera. It is postioned about 8 feet off the ground and about 8 feet from the area I was monitored. The sensitivity is turned up to 100% yet it does not detect anyone what walks across the field of view. I can even walk up to the camera without triggering it. Only when I wave frantically does it come on. What else can I do? This is very frustrating as everything seems well within range, wifi, field of view, what I want monitored. Please help I don't want to have to return this, the packaging was destroyed while opening it 😄 

Spoiler

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of the camera view (use live view, then take a snapshot - you can share the link from the library or download it and post it here).

Brandont521
Aspirant
Aspirant
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

The link doesn't seem to work.

Try starting Live View on your camera, take a still shot by clicking on the camera symbol at the bottom of the Live View frame, go to your library, locate the still shot taken and share that photo here.

Though, ideally, you'd take a screenshot of a Live View and upload a cropped photo to the forum instead, as shared links from your library expire after 24 hours, uploaded photos don't.

So, when you try to trigger your camera, the running man icon associated with your camera on the camera tab is in dark black (indicating that the camera is set to react to motion)?

If this is the case, I'd try using a different camera instead (if you have one), and see if that behaves as expected. If it does, your first camera is probably broken. Contact support to have it replaced.

Brandont521
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is the screen shot. The "running man" does get black when I move in front of the camera. I had the sensativiny at 100% all day today and it would get tripped and I would receive a notification of motion detected, however there was never anything caturped in the videos maybe faulty? Either way it still does not trigger when someone walks to the front door or pulls into the driveway. 

Front Door.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The running man has 3 colors - black means the camera is armed but not recording, gray means it's disarmed and will not detect motion nor record, and amber/orange/yellow means motion is detected and recording is in process.  Thus, when you move in front of the camera, you should see the running man turn amber and a recording should show in the library when done.

Walking from the driveway to the door may not cause detection since the motion is primarily AT the camera, not across the field of view.  However, I'd expect a car driving into the driveway to be detected as long as it pulls forward sufficiently.

The notification (push or email?) should result in a video being found in the library.  Is it possible you have a filter turned on?  In the library tab, at the top of the page, near the word Library, is a funnel-looking icon.  It should look empty, not filled in.  If filled in, a filter is active and you'll only see what that filter has selected. Click on it and reset the filter. Be sure to save it.  Are there now videos visible?

Brandont521
Aspirant
Aspirant
There are no filters set, the camera is functioning and recording video and they show up in the library, but only when I wave my hands around in front of the camera. Walking around in front of it , too and from the front door, down the driveway, none of that triggers the motion detection therefor no recording of video. A bee tripped it this morning oddly enough and I received that video and notification.

If just blows my mind that someone walking to the front door less than eight feet away goes undetected. UPS dropped off a package today. Either he's a super ninja or this camera stinks. 😞
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
@Brandont521

One of the easy things to try is swap the camera with another... see if the second camera works any differently

There is a possiblity of a defect with that spec camera

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Looking at the picture I'd at least turn the camera to the right so that the window shutter on the left is out of the frame. That increases the lead area to your front door on the right and possibly causes motion events to trigger better/earlier. Also, point the camera down more so that the road is not in the view, perhaps even tilting it slightly. See below crop as to where the top left corner of the image should be and how the tilt should be to avoid the street being in view (you may have to wait until Monday when moderators are available to authorize my picture post):

Arlo Front Door.png

I'm almost inclined to suggest to crop much more of the left off in order to increase the area where motion can occur. Pay attention only to the top-left corner and the tilt of the image. You will get more coverage of your driveway and less of the street in order to eliminate false triggers from passing traffic:

Arlo Front Door 2.png

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation