• 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
angstwad
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys,

Check out Text Me Plz.

There's an Arlo SMS/MMS notification service that pushes images to your phone via text messaging without any no app required.  Any phone that can receive MMS messages can use this.   New users get 5 free notifications, and accounts can be topped up for as little as $5, which buys you a lot of notifications.  All notifications are sent through a 3rd party MMS gateway with a guaranteed availablity SLA -- meaning, you're guaranteed to get your messages. This service is provided at cost, as Netgear seems unwilling to expand the API and ecosystem.

I made this for me first, and then decided to open it for the community as a fun project.  

I'm going to look into an IFTTT service next for maybe a couple bucks a month for unlimited notifications.  Is there any interest?

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Is this forwarding service approved by Netgear... the web page suggusts so, but I don't think so.... I wonder about using new add-ons when it works well for me with Verizon.

Domain Name: TEXTMEPLZ.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Name Server: DNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Name Server: DNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Name Server: DNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 20-may-2015
Creation Date: 20-may-2015
Expiration Date: 20-may-2016

>>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 22:14:00 GMT <<<

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
angstwad
Tutor
Tutor
I did not seek Netgear approval, since this doesn't log in or control your account on Netgear servers..

I did not like the emails or push notifications., so I did this instead. It comes with some free notifications, so give it a try
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

will take a look

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Took a look at the site, had a little bit of login problem with front end....

said a few times my user/pw were wrong...3-4 times same thing.

finally, asked for lost pw and  got a verification email.

I didn't see any expiration info for the purchased messgs... do they have a time limit?

angstwad
Tutor
Tutor

TomMac wrote:

Took a look at the site, had a little bit of login problem with front end....

said a few times my user/pw were wrong...3-4 times same thing.

finally, asked for lost pw and  got a verification email.

I didn't see any expiration info for the purchased messgs... do they have a time limit?

Thanks for the feedback on login.  It requires a verification email, so I think I'll add a message that lets you know to wait for the verification email before logging in.

To answer your question, the messages have no expiration.

altshift
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really like this service but I am not sure how the authentication is done. Because Arlo have yet to open up their authentication service, my concern is privacy and security of my account?

angstwad
Tutor
Tutor

altshift wrote:

I really like this service but I am not sure how the authentication is done. Because Arlo have yet to open up their authentication service, my concern is privacy and security of my account?

Hi Altshift,

You're right: Netgear does not offer federated login of any kind at this time.  However Text Me Plz does not store Arlo login credentials nor does it access your Arlo account on your behalf.  It provides you an email address that you insert into your notification preferences.  

Text Me Plz does give you some free messages.  I suggest you give it a try.

Kdizzo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Getting internal server error when loggin in. Is the service still active?
Taysok9868
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does anyone know what the sms notification setting for 2 degrees mobile in new Zealand? Thank
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation