Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I own four cameras and mentioned in a separate post how pleased I was that the Energizer CR123 batteries they came with still show a full charge after two months (so far) of average use.  Anticipating their inevitable replacement, I looked for a source I thought had a good price and happened on Battery Junction (link below).  I did briefly consider rechargeables but their inherently low mAH levels (say, 800 v. 1,500 for the OEMs) -- which would require fairly constant recharging, swapping out, and keeping track of which ones, etc. -- just didn't seem worth the trouble or overall value to me personally.  In any event, should it help others, here's a chart of costs for 1-4 Arlo camera systems based on the below.

OEM BATTERY REPLACEMENT COST If changed every 4 months using OEM Energizer CR123 Lithium batteries purchased from Battery Junction.com @$1.35 each (if purchasing 24 or more):

(A)
Number of Cameras

(B)
Total Number of Batteries Needed
(A x 4)

(C)
Batteries Used Per Year
(B x 3)

(D)
Yearly Cost
(C x $1.35)

(E)
Monthly Cost
(D divided by 12)

$16.20

$1.35

$32.40

$2.70

$48.60

$4.05

$64.80

$5.40

DISCLAIMER:  Depending on how you use your camera and where you may purchase the batteries, your “mileage” may vary.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-cr123a.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the study.

The problem I have is finding a place to buy them cheap and expecting new batteries.  If you buy them in the original blister (sealed) packages they are like $6 each.  If you buy them elsewhere you might get them for $1.7 each...but they are loose in packaging, and some have reported many batteries already drained on arrival.

example:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lithium-CR123A-Photo-Batteries/dp/B001G54ILA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

I wonder how these 3rd parties sell them so cheap compared to OEM.

4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also have had my concerns with those loose packaged batteries. I ended up going for the surefire batteries as surefire has a great reputation. The cost is a bit more, 72 for $134 or about 1.86 each, but I feel the extra cost is worth it.

http://www.surefire.com/batteries/72-pack-batteries.html

Greg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, my rechargeable batteries have the equivalent of 2.3 months with 2 out of 3 bars still showing on one camera. They've been in there for 18 days and have over 281 minutes of recording. The other camera has 158 minutes (about 1.3 months of rated usage) and shows full. Not bad for $29 from eBay...

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

jguerdat, Thats good to hear...can you clarify on:

- $29....per battery?  or for four?

- I've read prior forum posts about rechargables always showing 'low battery" in Arlo's....sounds like this is not the case with yours?

- ebay link to the batteries you purchased

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I understand the concerns; its just that any time I've purchased pretty, shrink-wrapped 10-40 unit packages of name brand A,B,C,D-cell batteries (say, from Costco), there's always a couple that don't seem up to snuff also.   It just seems to be the nature of the beast.  On the other hand, if anybody has had issues of an inordinate number of batteries failing from Battery Junction specifically, do tell - that might be different. 

Beyond that, these are new batteries, so even if a few were DOA, I'd simply return them like I would any product that is defective from a manufacturer. So I guess spending $33 for a couple dozen is a small risk and worth giving a try.  Whenever I get and employ them, I'll be happy to report back so folks know for sure and we won't have to rely on well-meant speculation.

coastalcarolina
Star
Star

The best deals (with readily available stock, and a very high number of feedback scores) I've found on the CR123 batteries Amazon.

If you want to stick with the Energizer brand that comes with the cameras, here is the 12 pack - the price flucuates between $18 and $22 (roughly $1.58 a battery)
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-123-Lithium-Batteries-12-Pack/dp/B003FBDC1A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

I am planning on trying these out - the 40 pack Tenergy for $44
http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-40-pack-Lithium-Battery-Protected/dp/B001W9Y4PK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Thats only a $1.10 a battery.

I plan on checking out some rechargables after I try the Tenergy once we have more longevity testing feedback on them on the Arlo forums.

Battery Junction does indeed have some good prices on the 123's though:

http://search.batteryjunction.com/mod_search/index.php?query=cr123&catalog=theshorelinemarket&sort=f...

previous Vuezone user, loving the Arlo.
5 Arlo cameras, 2 Foscam FI9826s
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
The only way to buy the primary cells are in a larger pack to save money....The price I usu pay is < $1.50 per as i buy about 20 at a time. 
And , yes the rechargeables seem to be working well ( since the s/w battery glich was fixed )*** BTW, I'm on day 33 as of today....  Using the GTL and Ultrafire types...and they were about $3-4 each ( good for 2-3 hundred charges), so that's a cheaper way to go if you have easy access to your cameras.
But what many will find ( I did myself yrs ago with the Vuezone system ) that after the "new toy" thing wears off, your battery life will go up as you use them more as originally designed to function.
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

coastalcarolina wrote:

If you want to stick with the Energizer brand that comes with the cameras, here is the 12 pack - the price flucuates between $18 and $22 (roughly $1.58 a battery)
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-123-Lithium-Batteries-12-Pack/dp/B003FBDC1A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Actually, those you mention above sound like to a great compromise to what are probably loose batteries I proposed from Battery Junction.  The only thing - and pardon my ignorance -- but will these fit in our cams?  The picture of them makes them appears squarish in size (as opposed to the round CR123s in our cams).

Energizer 123s

coastalcarolina
Star
Star

Yes those will fit.  All Energizer 123 batteries are of the same round type and same specs.  I have that same Energizer 12 pack from when I had Netgear's Vuezone system.

previous Vuezone user, loving the Arlo.
5 Arlo cameras, 2 Foscam FI9826s
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

coastalcarolina wrote:

Yes those will fit.  All Energizer 123 batteries are of the same round type and same specs.  I have that same Energizer 12 pack from when I had Netgear's Vuezone system.

I appreciate that and logic told me that the same series of batteries should all be shaped the same, but that picture still makes them look rectangular or symmetrical to me.  So they're round; gotcha.  Thank you very much.

dwr65
Tutor
Tutor

thx Battery Junction was/is the best option for OEM batteries i could find, my Arlo kit came w/Duracell CR123's and i just ordered additional batteries from Battery Junction at a reasonable price...!

ELIESCORNER
Aspirant
Aspirant

WHAT BRAND ON EBAY DID YOU USE AND WHAT SELLER PLEASE?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree that I also got the best prices with good shipment time from Battery Junction... Think I also paid 1.35 per.

But with half of my cameras ( the inside ones ) that are used for security when out, I find I'm getting 5-7 months on the OEM cells.

Other ones I'm getting just at 4 months per set.  All cams are on high quality video.

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

Is the Energizer brand sealed individually and when you change on camera's batteries do you have to change them all - I just got mine so not sure how it works

Vallorie

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

Is the Energizer brand sealed individually and when you change on camera's batteries do you have to change them all - I just got mine so not sure how it works

Vallorie

Yes, they are individual units,

Yes you must change them all ( my tests show low voltage on all cells when depleted, and very close to 2.75v (they are 3.2 when new ))

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

thank you for your response -- this community is such a great benefit -

Vallorie

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I just brought from Amazon Streamlight 85177 CR123A Lithium Batteries, 12-Pack by Streamlight - so what batteries are the best that will last longer -- I don't even use my cameras much and especially the one in the basement that is only now 9% - do I now have to change all the batteries and what batteries should I get from Battery Junction -- the more I use this system the sorrier I am getting - should I get Duracell CR123 from Battery Junction and what is OEM?

Vallorie
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

I just brought from Amazon Streamlight 85177 CR123A Lithium Batteries,

Vallorie

The ones you just bought are PRIMARY non-rechargeable lithium cells.... they are basicly the same as the originals that came with the camera and you should see the same lifetime use as with the OEMs ( energizer I believe )

Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

lifetime use as with the OEMs???? I don't know what this means -- what batteries should I buy that will last longer -- I was told batteries should not be recharged for these cameras

Vallorie

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Vallorie wrote:

lifetime use as with the OEMs???? I don't know what this means -- what batteries should I buy that will last longer -- I was told batteries should not be recharged for these cameras

Vallorie

They ( the NON rechargeable PRIMARY cells ) like the ones that came with the camera , will last just as LONG as the ones you just bought !

Of all the PRIMARY cells from known companies the differences are so minor you wouldn't  see it in the end use .

PRIMARY cells DO NOT get recharged, they get thrown away when use up.

I get 4 months on best video with most of my cameras with normal use and up to 7 months on my low usage cameras with the PRIMARY cells...

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation