Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection to Vividwireless Modem

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
limcp1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

i am interested to buy the arlo security camera set. But i have a few queries.

i am using 4G Vividwirelss modem(Australia)

I like to know if its compatiable with the secuirty camera base station.

Looking to set it up asap.

Hoping someone can advise me from Australia.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't know about the model. but Arlo needs an eithernet port and access to internet to function...

It may also cause 4G to be costly if you pay per GB of data.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
limcp1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
It has a modem that has a Ethernet port
Although it's 4G but i I'm on unlimited plan so it's alright

I am only concern about the IP address
It I think does not have a fix IP ADDRESS.

What I know of other cameras they actually need a fix up address.

Will the connect cos the images to have a problem view off site from the iPhone or Internet?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base station is the only device that gets an IP address from a DHCP server. The cameras operate completely separately on their own WiFi network between the base station and the Cameras - you have no control over what it does to set up the Arlo network. Thus, the base uses DHCP to be configured for Internet access. If you wish to set up a fixed address for it in the DHCP server it will cause no problems. Note that the initial configuration needs to be completed by a device on the same WiFi or wired network as the base station.

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

Until you get someone from Australia, using the same ISP:

You don't need a fixed IP address (but a fixed one would work).

The Arlo system is programmed to look for Momma -- the Arlo system servers in the cloud -- and present your login credentials there.

Whether you are using a desktop or portable with the Web interface ( https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login ) or if you are using the Arlo app on an iPhone or Android, you are still logging into the Arlo cloud servers.

From there, the servers know where your Base Station is, even if your external (public) IP address changes because your ISP re-issues you one, or you reboot your ISP's modem/router.

When the Base Station is connected via Ethernet, it gets its own IP address from the ISP router.

Arlo finds that Ethernet cable that connects the Arlo base station to the ISP router.

This is where it gets real interesting.

--

The cameras communicate with the Base Station via wireless connections, but that process is not the same as what you and I refer to when we think of "wireless"or "WiFi."

It's a closed loop between the cameras and the Base Station.

The "escape route" for storing recordings to the Arlo cloud is the Ethernet connection.

--

That same Ethernet connection, between the Base Station and the ISP router, has to be connected to the wireless connection in your house.

That's done by connecting a wireless router into another Ethernet port on the router (that's what I do), or by using the wireless router that's built-in to the ISP router.

When we fire up the Arlo app on a smart device like an iPhone or Android, we can get to the Base Station either by broadband (4G from miles away) or home wireless.

Either way, we find, and ride, the Ethernet connection connected to the Base Station.

I hope this helps.

AdamZorzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi... did you manage to get your Arlo system to work on Vividwireless? I've just spent all night trying to get it to work with no luck. In the setup page on the web interface it just won't find the base station. I'm not a techie, but I have tried reading up on and understanding DHCP settings etc but with no luck. If anybody has an answer it would be greatly appreciated....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You should have 2 LEDs lit green - the power and Internet ones. If the Internet LED is out, the connection to the router is faulty (cable or bad port). If it's amber, the connection to the router is OK but there's no communication with the servers. This can be caused by the router blocking access with some setting. Is the router yours or the ISP's? Can you access the router configuration and at least verify the base has an IP address?

AdamZorzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the assistance jguerdat.

Yes, I have 2 green lights, so the base station appears to be connected to the internet.

I really think it is something to do with the router settings. I can access the router settings but I'm not sure where I should be looking. This is the DHCP section. Should it be here somewhere?

Capture DHCP Server.JPG

Or is it here somewhere?

Capture  -Firewall.JPG

Appreciate the assistance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Typically you'd look in the LAN section for the assignment of addresses but the fact that the Internet LED is green means it has one.

Are you using the app or a browser?  The device being used to set up the system must be on the same network so a phone would need to be on your own WiFi.  If you're using a browser, try using a different one.

AdamZorzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jguerdat - thanks again for further advice. I've tried on my android via the app (connected to my wifi network), and now on Chrome, Explorer and Firefox. Still no luck. I am sure that it must be something to do with the router settings. Any other suggestions??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd suggest two trouble tickets - one with Vivid wireless and one with Arlo. Not having access to your setup, I don't have anything else to try.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AdamZorzi,

Have you tried a factory reset on the base station? Press and hold the reset button down on the back of the base station until all LEDs flash amber. Allow the base station to come back online and attempt to go through New System setup again.

JamesC

AdamZorzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JamesC. Simplest is always the best - the reset worked! Cheers

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation