Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

unable to connect to media server and no motion detection

aaronawk
Follower
Follower
hello, i'm not sure where to go for help. i've been troubleshooting for hours and also have looked extensively online for help. our cameras are not working at all, no motion, no going live. i've reset the arlo base, removed batteries, reset wifi, removed a device and then added it back. NOTHING HAS WORKED. firmware version is 1.3.314 and there are no available updates. we bought our cameras a few years ago so I believe we have the original Arlo wireless cameras.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

On Friday 4/19/19 we released firmware for base station models – VMB4000, VMB3500 and VMB3000. Some customers have reported seeing error messages when live streaming and issues receiving motion recordings. Due to these reports, we are rolling back this release to the previous firmware version (1.12.0.1_27940) while we investigate these issues.

If you begin experiencing one or more of these symptoms, please power cycle your base station and confirm that your firmware has reverted to v1.12.0.1_27940 – found under Device settings. To power cycle, choose the ‘restart’ option under your Device settings within the Arlo app or by unplugging and re-plugging power to your base station.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please let us know if you are still experiencing these issues.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

View solution in original post

190 REPLIES 190
Lwilkes2010
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo app will not load live feed of cameras. I can view the library clips just fine, but when I switch to devices so I can see what it is currently looking at it just spins and spins. I have restarted my phone, hit the sync button on the base station, and logged out and into my account. Nothing is working.
Thanks in advance for any help!

JustJeff2
Initiate
Initiate
HW Version VMB3500r4 Firmware 1.12.2.0_2790 Today I am receiving messages when attempting to connect to cameras: "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server". I've restarted the base unit twice remotely (I am currently not near the base unit) and attempted to turn off/on individual cameras to no avail. Home WiFi was reporting no issues when I left this morning. Help?
Roadkillav8r
Guide
Guide

I can’t get mine to live feed either.   It’s also not very sensitive to motion.  On 100% I have to jump up and down in front of the camera to make it detect any motion.   So far I’m less than impressed.

abebaby24
Guide
Guide

me too, they could not help me. must be their screw up

AmielM
Aspirant
Aspirant
So two of my four cameras don’t work and now... my remaining two and the base station won’t update and this I cannot access them remotely as I am traveling and want to see what’s going on. It keeps getting worse.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the base? Are all firmware up to date as well as the app? Have you tried a computer browser?

When setting the sensitivity, are you doing so in your modes and rules? The motion detection test doesn't save anything - it's a test. Read the FAQs here on setting sensitivity as well as best camera positioning.

Roadkillav8r
Guide
Guide
I’m incredibly frustrated. The cameras will not connect live, they will not detect motion unless doing a motion test. If I go to video settings it gives me a live picture to adjust. It doesn’t work, what a bunch of junk. I tried to chat with tech support but chat is not available. I want my money back, I want Arlo to call me.
emonlezun
Tutor
Tutor

I continue to get problem establishing a connection to media server.  Have reset router and re-synced but still receive message.  This started this morning.  Help!  None of my cameras work.

NerverlandPan
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same exact problem starting today. I'm assuming the issue is on Arlo's end with this many of us suddenly experiencing the issue. 

Roadkillav8r
Guide
Guide

I’ve rebooted 3 times, completely deleted and started from scratch twice, and rebooted the router twice.  I did finally get it to go live and if you get right in front of a camera and jump up and down it will on occasion detect motion.  Not quite what I expected. All firmware for base and cameras are up to date.

Brannog
Tutor
Tutor

Ditto.  They quit sometime after 3:00 AM on 4/19 EST.  Incredibly frustrated.  I've been using these cameras for the better part of a year to successfully alert when my elderly father-in-law gets up in the night.  NetGear should respond...

Worknman
Initiate
Initiate

(IPad & iPhone App) No live stream, no alerts, no recordings. Basically, the system has internet, the base station is connected, cameras are connected and  library files are accessible/ viewable. Everything has been rebooted, including modem & router, batteries removed, cameras synced and eventually Arlo “reset” returned to default settings. Still having same issue. Next, I went to my PC for live stream and it promptly said “Having issue establishing media server”. So, I am convinced that this entire issue has something to do with Arlo...the cameras will not view, therfore no alerts, no new videos and no live stream.  

* FYI- If anyone is having issues getting your base station back on line, you will have to remove the base station and then add it back in order to get it back on-line. Go to settings- My device- Remove base station.

Brannog
Tutor
Tutor

Additional info...

I've reset the base station and re-added the cameras.  Neither live video nor motion detection works.  Live video does not work on iPhone and it doesn't work on either Chrome or Firefox browsers from a Mac.

Brannog
Tutor
Tutor

The message I get when trying to view the camera feed(s) from a browser on the Mac is always the same... "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server."

On the iPhone, there is no error message - simply the spinning activity icon...

Lwilkes2010
Tutor
Tutor
How do I reboot it?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Restart selection in Settings, My Devices, your base, if available. Use the power switch on the base. Unplug it and plug it back in.

adocorp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not working for the Arlo Pro's as well...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-is-no-longer-recording-to-my-library-LIVE-view-failures/...

I escalted this and nothing from them.. They said "engineering is reviewing"...

It has been 24 hours and some customer ARLO are not recording any motion! LIVE view does not work. I am about to throw these Arlo's in the trash and get a Ring or a Blink system. This is complete downtime for us having this issue...

drew222
Aspirant
Aspirant

Count me in too!  Still get motion detection alerts on my phone but no recordings and unable to connect to live stream.  Have restarted etc etc etc ... but not go.

Gambino
Aspirant
Aspirant

My camera dropped offline for no apparent reason after working fine for well over a year.  I recharged the batteries and it powers on but it will not sync to the base.  I have rebooted my ISP Router, the base, removed the camera as a last resort and now the base will not recognize it at all.  When I attempt to sync it the blue light just flashes slowly.  I did see other posts with the same issue but no definitive resolution other than replacement.  

When I try to email support the link loads and then mysteriously vanishes as I'm typing???  Arlo support is a joke!

Any ideas on fixing the camera or contacting support?

Got11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,

I noticed today that all my Arlo pro 2 cameras stopped working last night. When I access the arlo app all the cameras show the last motion detected (which is 24hrs a go now) and the cameras don’t show as offline.

I now can’t access the cameras in live mode and no cameras are detecting motion. Have tried removing camera and resyncing and also rebooting home base and neither of these have helped.

Any ideas?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure you are doing a Quick press on the base sync and then the camera button...( don't hold )

( also, you can do it without using the app/prgm )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
EV_Enthusiast
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. Been going on for the past 24 hours.

cjtriolo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm getting this error: "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server." All lights are solid green on the base station. I can access the base station from the internet, for example, I can restart the base station from my iOS app or from MyArlo website. Also, both my iOS app and website shows all cameras are connected to the base station. But can't turn cameras on live, it won't record, etc. After searching the community, it seems this problem occurs sometimes. It also seems there's not a good solution. Firmware upgrades...yes, I'm up to date. Seems there are no connectivity issues. My last motion detection video was 11:51pm Thursday, April 18th, 2019. Seems the system wasn't working all day on the 19th, and still isn't working today, on the 20th. It's been working perfectly before this, for months and months, I have not changed ANYTHING on my side. Except recharging batteries every.
alan-v
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, I've re-syched twice and rebooted the modem, but still won't establish a connection