Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Frequently get the above message when attempting to connect to any of the wireless cameras, and I can't find anything about this message online.  There is no rhyme or reason as to which camera(s) get this message at any time.  I have to re-attempt in order to connect, sometimes it connects and sometimes it does not, it fails to connect more often (failure rate is about 75 percent if I had to guess).  Sometimes I'll just get a "please wait" message that 

I have 4 cameras and 1 base station, brand new batteries (just installed the system yesterday).  The system appears to have the latest firmware installed:

Base:  

FW Version

HW Version
VMB3010r2

All 4 cameras are same:

HardwareVMC3030
Firmware1.1.2074

I have done a hard reset of the base and resync'ed the cameras and same issue occurs.  Sometimes it appears to be connected to a live stream however if I walk in front of a camera it does pick up the movement (as if the video is paused - although it does not show as paused in the web browser).  This does not give me a good feeling when I will be monitoring remote! 

The furthest camera is less than 40 feet from the station (between a couple walls).  All 4 cameras show as full Wifi bars and full battery life when viewing in the web browser.  I'm viewing on a Mac with Yosemite (10.10.4) and Safari (8.0.7).  I have re-installed latest version of Adobe Flash... no help.    I don't suspect any Wifi interference issues (I live in a very rural area).  The base station is set for channel 7 (not sure if I can change this? I haven't been able to figure that out yet) and is hard wired to the router.  The router has it's Wifi channel set for channel 1 (it was set at 6, i changed it 1 as part of my troubleshooting, no difference).  

One thing I do notice is the beacon interval for the base station is reportedly set at 31?  Does this sound right?

I'm wondering if it's a network issue outside of my network (ie, is the message "problem establishing a connection to the media server" refer to the cloud?).  However, I would think if this were the case, more people would be reporting the issue.  I've been troubleshooting these connectivity issues for 6 straight hours now and am running out of ideas.  I really want to like this product, however these connectivity issues have me resting uneasy at the moment.  I don't want to go thru the hassle of returning it, if there's a fix to get stable streaming connections to the cameras, perhaps a firmware update???

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

199 REPLIES 199
jgravert
Guide
Guide

NOTE: Make sure you read my last post if you haven't yet!

I did find I can get Chrome to work if I add the arlo.netgear.com site to Security and Privacy Tabs as Allowed Sites.

However it required a Reboot.

Apparently Chrome uses the Internet Settings of Internet Explorer for the Gateway/Proxy.

The problem is Internet Explorer (exploder) Will kill Chrome functioning if you try to use Internet Explorer to access arlo.netgear.com.

So Chrome isn't stable and Internet Exploder is crap as usual.

The fact still reamains that Netgear needs to FIX THIS. There is no reason this shouldn't work with default settings on IE, Chrome and Firefox.

All you Apple guys I have no idea how Safari is working for you. I refuse to load it on my PC.

Still waiting to hear if anyone using FireFox has tried my suggestions above and have had any success.

Take care.

bally
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, after trying everything suggested, the problem with video streaming through any browser on my computer, reagrdless of security settings, exceptions for netgear sites, rebooting etc, the problem persists. There is only so much consumer-required trouble-shooting that should be expected to get a core function to work. My 3-camera Arlo system has now been returned to my very understanding retailer, and a refund provided.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess I don't understand why I can use any supported browser and have it work while others have lots of problems.  Are they self-induced (changing security options, etc.) or an Arlo server issue? Would HTML5 "solve" these problems? I don't get it.

jgravert
Guide
Guide

I agree with jguerdat. Why was Flash technology even used. FireFox blocked Flash in recent months until Adobe could get thier head out of thier butt with the sercurity holes. Then eventually they "fixed" it and now Firefox allows it to function.

Other computer security experts have stated that it's time that Adobe just put a fork in it and declare once and for all an End Of Life Date for the Flash product. But even they said who knows when the heck that will happen.

Adobe really doesn't want to continue to support Flash. They have been saying for years that people should move on to another technology but companies keep developing technology that uses Flash.

If Netgear wants to keep using Flash then maybe they should just develop thier own stand alone Arlo Browser and that would allow users to set this program to be an exception in Firewall/Antivirus/Malware softwares.

Anyways, I checked FireFox again this AM and it is still working on my PC doing the steps I wrote previously.  Looks like at least one person tried it and it didn't work for them.

Maybe Netgear doesn't have a Flash expert working for them. They proboboly need to hire one. Or maybe they don't have the best web programmers on this project. Somebody needs to escalate this issue to a Red One Priority. It's just messed up that we are all still talking about this.

jgravert
Guide
Guide

Also make sure you add the arlo.netgear.com site to the whitelist of your Firewall/Antivirus/Antimalware software.

dave-s
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im having the problems listed above - No live feed, media server connection problem, unable to play etc.

I get the motion detection notifications, but nothing in the calendar.

30Mbps download and 20Mbps upload - All other web devices streaming OK, so not my internet.

Firewall disabled - for testing arlo.

Tried, IE, Chrome, Safari, ios app - Not had streaming on anything yet.

Rebooted everything I could - cameras, base station, router, PC, Laptop phone - cleared all caches etc - Still nothing!!!

I'm testing these for an organisation - How can I recommend this - Unless fixed and flawless V V soon!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Define firewall, software or hardware? Since nothing works, seemingly the issue would be closed ports. Both 80 and 443 need to be open. This could be a router issue, a work network configuration issue or software, like antivirus configuration. Some folks have had to whitelist the Netgear/Arlo servers for firewalls and/or antivirus as well as to open ports. 

dave-s
Aspirant
Aspirant

The FW is built into my home hub (BT in the UK) - I have disabled it and tried portmapping port 80 and 443 to the arlo base station.

I can get to the basestation settings and see the image from the cameras in Pan and Zoom - in camera settings.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Seems to me other UK folks were having problems with a seemingly similar setup. You might want to do some searches here for possible resolutions. I can't say that I know it was resolved but your scenario is something many of us can't repeat.

bally
Aspirant
Aspirant

This seems to be a potentialy great product let down by these connection issues (at least for live streaming). I tried everything suggested, without any success. It shouldnt be this difficult. "Plug and Play" should not require extensive, time consuming and frustrating trouble shooting to get a basic feature working. I would love it to work but mine went back to the store for a refund.

Andrei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Experiencing exactly the same issues mentioned above. While notifications work, it is even possible to see a snapshot in the camera settings but no live feed and no recording. Greatly disapointed. Tried 3 browsers and iOS app. Same behaviour. 

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

Andrei wrote:

Experiencing exactly the same issues mentioned above. While notifications work, it is even possible to see a snapshot in the camera settings but no live feed and no recording. Greatly disapointed. Tried 3 browsers and iOS app. Same behaviour. 

I hate to beat a dead horse here, as I've taken some serious heat, for my troubleshooting conclusions, but I've gone through every one of these issues and what worked for me is relocating my base station away from my cable router and the use of a range extender. My conclusion is, that it's all wifi related!!! That just because the base station shows you the little green light, indicating that the cameras are communicating, that doesn't mean they are all communicating!!! It only takes one camera to get this light to go green and your others could very well, not be communicating!!!

I had to log in and move my base station around until I found just the right spot, where it could talk to all 5 of my cameras and when I found it, by watching my laptop, the way the cameras just all jumped online, there's no question in my mind, that it's wifi related and I haven't had an issue in 3 weeks and counting.

jgravert
Guide
Guide

If you believe it to be a WiFi issue you should try downloading this software a make sure your WiFi network is on a different Channel than the Arlo Cameras WiFi network.

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

This software will allow you to see every WiFi network within range of the Computer with WiFi you load it onto and will give you details on the WiFi channels and should shed some light on what may be conflicting on your WiFi network.

Good luck.

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

jgravert wrote:

If you believe it to be a WiFi issue you should try downloading this software a make sure your WiFi network is on a different Channel than the Arlo Cameras WiFi network.

This software will allow you to see every WiFi network within range of the Computer with WiFi you load it onto and will give you details on the WiFi channels and should shed some light on what may be conflicting on your WiFi network.

Good luck.

Thanks jgravert, I'll give it a go!!!

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

jgravert wrote:

Good luck.

Gud Lawd!!! It looks like everything in the world is using channel 6, with a hidden network which I think is xfinity's hotspot out of my router chopping everthing up on the 2.4 ghz and it looks like my range extender, is solid just above the 4 other devices using 2.4ghz and channel 6, with channel 6 being all my stuff.

How would I go about correcting this??? I ain't that smart!!!

Andrei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't think it's wifi related. After base station reset, only one camera added (less than 1m from the base station) - same issue. Obviously it is connected since i can get a picture from Pan and Zoom setting for the camera. Alerts are Ok too. Lost all Sunday...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

woseyjales wrote:
Gud Lawd!!! It looks like everything in the world is using channel 6, with a hidden network which I think is xfinity's hotspot out of my router chopping everthing up on the 2.4 ghz and it looks like my range extender, is solid just above the 4 other devices using 2.4ghz and channel 6, with channel 6 being all my stuff.

How would I go about correcting this??? I ain't that smart!!!

Either use a router with 5GHz capability or switch channels on the router to either 1 or 11, preferably. Those are the only alternatives to 6 that don't overlap with other channels. Look at the router's configuration and take the WiFi preferred channel off auto. Assign the one that has the least interference.

jgravert
Guide
Guide

You need to change the Range Extender(s) first. But in order to do that you need the IP address of the Range Extender(s).

To get this you will need to login to your main WiFi Router. If you have a stand alone WiFi router (WAP) then you will need to login to the Router it is connected to. Once logged in you will need to find the Connected Devices. Every router should have a place to look for this.

Using the MAC Addresses you get from Acrylic Wi-Fi software you need to see which IP Address is associated with each MAC address that is on your network.

There is nothing you will be able to do about neighbors Wi-Fi networks.

So in order to select a Free Channel use this guide: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chann...

Once you have decided which channels to use and you have the IP Addresses of all the Wi-Fi Access Points that you control you need to login to your Range Extender(s).

NOTE: If you have Wi-Fi networks you control but do not use just leave them on the Channel 6 so they won't interfere with the ones you change. Also the Arlo Base Station Wi-Fi channel you will not be able to change. There is no way that I know of to access the Wi-Fi settings of the Arlo Base Station.

Get the brand and model numbers of your Wi-Fi Access Point devices and go to each brands website to download the Manuals. There they will explain how to login to the device and even how to change the Channels.

Usually the channel options are under the Wi-Fi setup section of each Access Point/Router.

Once you change the Channel all of your connected Wi-Fi devices will need to reconnect. Some will do this automatically and they will detect the new channel and will communicate on the new channel automatically.

After you have change the Range Extender(s) then you change the Main/Master Wi-Fi Router (WAP) channel.

After you ahve changed this channel you may have to Reboot your Range Extenders in order to re-connect to the main Wi-Fi.

Use the Acrylic Wi-Fi to verify your changes.

If you have devices like a ROKU they will show up in the Acrylic Wi-Fi like devices. Don't worry about what channel those are on as that is only for direct connections. Usually once they reboot they will swich channels. If they do not it's no big deal.

I have personally see weird Wi-Fi connectivity issues when too many Wi-Fi networks are using the same channels.

Once you have everything changed and verified you may want to Power Off for 10 seconds your Arlo Base Station and Power it back on. Once it shows connected to the Internet you may want to reboot each Camera forcing them to reconnect to the Base Station.

Then test everything again.

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

From what I see as long as they are on the same channel or not on iverlapping channels you should be OK

I still don't believe the issues folks are experiencing is caused by WiFi interference. Just my opinion.

If these systems are so sensitive to interference why doesn't NetGear make the Arlo cameras and their access points run on 5Ghz

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

jgravert wrote:

You need to change the Range Extender(s) first. But in order to do that you need the IP address of the Range Extender(s).

To get this you will need to login to your main WiFi Router. If you have a stand alone WiFi router (WAP) then you will need to login to the Router it is connected to. Once logged in you will need to find the Connected Devices. Every router should have a place to look for this.

Using the MAC Addresses you get from Acrylic Wi-Fi software you need to see which IP Address is associated with each MAC address that is on your network.

There is nothing you will be able to do about neighbors Wi-Fi networks.

So in order to select a Free Channel use this guide: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chann...

Once you have decided which channels to use and you have the IP Addresses of all the Wi-Fi Access Points that you control you need to login to your Range Extender(s).

NOTE: If you have Wi-Fi networks you control but do not use just leave them on the Channel 6 so they won't interfere with the ones you change. Also the Arlo Base Station Wi-Fi channel you will not be able to change. There is no way that I know of to access the Wi-Fi settings of the Arlo Base Station.

Get the brand and model numbers of your Wi-Fi Access Point devices and go to each brands website to download the Manuals. There they will explain how to login to the device and even how to change the Channels.

Usually the channel options are under the Wi-Fi setup section of each Access Point/Router.

Once you change the Channel all of your connected Wi-Fi devices will need to reconnect. Some will do this automatically and they will detect the new channel and will communicate on the new channel automatically.

After you have change the Range Extender(s) then you change the Main/Master Wi-Fi Router (WAP) channel.

After you ahve changed this channel you may have to Reboot your Range Extenders in order to re-connect to the main Wi-Fi.

Use the Acrylic Wi-Fi to verify your changes.

If you have devices like a ROKU they will show up in the Acrylic Wi-Fi like devices. Don't worry about what channel those are on as that is only for direct connections. Usually once they reboot they will swich channels. If they do not it's no big deal.

I have personally see weird Wi-Fi connectivity issues when too many Wi-Fi networks are using the same channels.

Once you have everything changed and verified you may want to Power Off for 10 seconds your Arlo Base Station and Power it back on. Once it shows connected to the Internet you may want to reboot each Camera forcing them to reconnect to the Base Station.

Then test everything again.

This is gonna take me a minute or two to digest, but I can't thank you enough for the info jgravert . With the program you linked, it sure seems to explain why I was having such issues.

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

Rudy wrote:

From what I see as long as they are on the same channel or not on iverlapping channels you should be OK

I still don't believe the issues folks are experiencing is caused by WiFi interference. Just my opinion.

If these systems are so sensitive to interference why doesn't NetGear make the Arlo cameras and their access points run on 5Ghz

With the program jgravert linked, it looks like all my devices were all bunched up on channel 6 and very choppy looking. You can highlight each device and while my range extender shows a solid line, all my other 2.4 ghz devices are pretty choppy, like they're walking over each other???

jogeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Andrej, thanks for your answer.

I have my doubts regarding the conclusion you are presenting because I did the setup with all 3 cameras and the netgear router within a range of 2m. Thus there should not have been any obstacle preventing the setup from functioning;

I did read some comments with respect the WIFI channel 6 being clogged up - this is something I will try to look into but I would still expect NETGEAR to come up with a sufficiently intelligent device to avoid these issues and to have a troubleshooting functionality in case something arises.

We are not all technological wizards and I did buy this product in teh confidence that setup would function robustly without spending hours on such a matter.

best regards

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is the problem stil hapening on Jan 1, 2016 ?

It has been working well for a month but now I am unable to connect. As it stands now, the system goes back to BestBuy if this is not sorted out

My email JensenFlemingK@gmail.com

cellphone 2035703358

Fleming Jensen

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fjensen,

What error message are you receiving? Are you still receiving this error message?

JamesC

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now 

JamesC wrote:

fjensen,

What error message are you receiving? Are you still receiving this error message?

JamesC

Now I am not