Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server"

Discussion stats
cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Frequently get the above message when attempting to connect to any of the wireless cameras, and I can't find anything about this message online.  There is no rhyme or reason as to which camera(s) get this message at any time.  I have to re-attempt in order to connect, sometimes it connects and sometimes it does not, it fails to connect more often (failure rate is about 75 percent if I had to guess).  Sometimes I'll just get a "please wait" message that 

I have 4 cameras and 1 base station, brand new batteries (just installed the system yesterday).  The system appears to have the latest firmware installed:

Base:  

FW Version

HW Version
VMB3010r2

All 4 cameras are same:

HardwareVMC3030
Firmware1.1.2074

I have done a hard reset of the base and resync'ed the cameras and same issue occurs.  Sometimes it appears to be connected to a live stream however if I walk in front of a camera it does pick up the movement (as if the video is paused - although it does not show as paused in the web browser).  This does not give me a good feeling when I will be monitoring remote! 

The furthest camera is less than 40 feet from the station (between a couple walls).  All 4 cameras show as full Wifi bars and full battery life when viewing in the web browser.  I'm viewing on a Mac with Yosemite (10.10.4) and Safari (8.0.7).  I have re-installed latest version of Adobe Flash... no help.    I don't suspect any Wifi interference issues (I live in a very rural area).  The base station is set for channel 7 (not sure if I can change this? I haven't been able to figure that out yet) and is hard wired to the router.  The router has it's Wifi channel set for channel 1 (it was set at 6, i changed it 1 as part of my troubleshooting, no difference).  

One thing I do notice is the beacon interval for the base station is reportedly set at 31?  Does this sound right?

I'm wondering if it's a network issue outside of my network (ie, is the message "problem establishing a connection to the media server" refer to the cloud?).  However, I would think if this were the case, more people would be reporting the issue.  I've been troubleshooting these connectivity issues for 6 straight hours now and am running out of ideas.  I really want to like this product, however these connectivity issues have me resting uneasy at the moment.  I don't want to go thru the hassle of returning it, if there's a fix to get stable streaming connections to the cameras, perhaps a firmware update???

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

199 REPLIES 199
fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

fjensen wrote:

Now 

JamesC wrote:

fjensen,

What error message are you receiving? Are you still receiving this error message?

JamesC

Now I am not 

Now I am not getting a message any more but I still have no pictures. When I log in, I get the three signs in black for battery, wifi and movement. As well as a small field in the center with 'live' when I press live it spins for 10 seconds and then reverts to the old picture, now 6 days old.

in mode, all movement is on.

I have been getting a few notifications that movement has been detected but nothing in the archive.

i am extremely unhappy about this and feel I have wasted my money.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a quick "maybe it will work" - use the power button to reset the base.

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:

Just a quick "maybe it will work" - use the power button to reset the base.

Thanks for suggestion. I can try that when I get home.

rmo972
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same issue since 12/29.  Support had me jumping through hoops and unplugging and resetting my routers, modem, etc.  They then said it's comcast issue because my modem ports aren't open, which they are open and it worked on 12/26 before they rollout out an update.

Right now I provided my feedback to netgear website.  Awaiting response.  That was 2 days ago.  Horrible support so far.  I"m pretty sure the issue is on their end as I am still getting motion detection messages on my phone but cannot see any pictures or live video when I go to the website.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
This upgrade like most Arlo upgrades has crippled good running systems. Don't go through the hoops they are putting you through. If your system worked before the upgrade there is nothing you did to screw it up. This is a Netgear issue.
fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Showguy wrote:
This upgrade like most Arlo upgrades has crippled good running systems. Don't go through the hoops they are putting you through. If your system worked before the upgrade there is nothing you did to screw it up. This is a Netgear issue.

Thanks for your comment, I tend to agree with you. Netgear tech support sending me updates several times that they need more time to solve the issue. I agree with you, the issue is probably the new app.

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

rmo972 wrote:

I have had the same issue since 12/29.  Support had me jumping through hoops and unplugging and resetting my routers, modem, etc.  They then said it's comcast issue because my modem ports aren't open, which they are open and it worked on 12/26 before they rollout out an update.

Right now I provided my feedback to netgear website.  Awaiting response.  That was 2 days ago.  Horrible support so far.  I"m pretty sure the issue is on their end as I am still getting motion detection messages on my phone but cannot see any pictures or live video when I go to the website.

Thanks, I am relieved that someone else has the same problem. As it is now, the system will be returned soon

jogeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

after several months of back and forth I ended up changing my main router in order to solve the port open vs blocked discussion. It has been a costly exercise but with the new router the installation is working now. 

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

jogeau wrote:

Hi, 

after several months of back and forth I ended up changing my main router in order to solve the port open vs blocked discussion. It has been a costly exercise but with the new router the installation is working now. 

Thanks. I have an almost brand new Netgear Router so I think the problem is in the software and not the hardware. My problem is, Netgear support seems to be at a complete loss what to do, keep sending me messages that they have a technician working but need a few more days. In the meantime my security system does not work.

jogeau
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

understand, in my case the issue was (my guess) a compatibility issue between the Netgear router and my Intranet provider router.

Despite months of back and forth in both directions in the end the only thing which worked was to change the Internet Provider router with its associated software.

best regards

Jochen

makohmb3066
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still consistently getting this error message when trying to connect via my lap top and the web url.  When I use my app via my iphone I have consitently been able to access my cameras remotely.  Does the app utilize a different server than the web based application?  The web based connection via the url is not worth even to try and access anymore. 

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

makohmb3066 wrote:

I am still consistently getting this error message when trying to connect via my lap top and the web url.  When I use my app via my iphone I have consitently been able to access my cameras remotely.  Does the app utilize a different server than the web based application?  The web based connection via the url is not worth even to try and access anymore. 

I get the same result, when trying to access both via my PC. I-phone and I pad. I am in touch with netgear support but they also seem in the dark as to figuring out what is wrong and how to solve the problem.

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

fjensen wrote:

rmo972 wrote:

Thanks, I am relieved that someone else has the same problem. As it is now, the system will be returned soon

Have you been able to solve the problem. You had the same issues as I did and I am still not able to connect with my 4 cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just some possibilities. Try flushing your browser cache or use a different browser. You may be using cached data causing issues.

JEA003
Tutor
Tutor

I had this problem and spoke to Arlo and they kept saying that it was the server. However, my neighbor's Arlo is working. The rep said that the base stations work on location and that identifies the server. So I asked to send me s new base that is registered on to a working server. The rep told me that a new base would not fix the problem, again the base working connecting by location. Well i bought a new base to see if they were telling the truth, and guess what. They lied. a new base fixed the problem. So I loaded my old base up in the new and took it back to the store to get my money back. Arlo has been working on the "server problem for over a year...since 2014. They know there is an issue. I want to know why is it taking so long to fix this problem with servers, if that is really the issue and not the base???? Or are they telling us all it's a server problem to keep from owning up to it being a base problem and having to replace a massive number of bases? 

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

JEA003 wrote:

I had this problem and spoke to Arlo and they kept saying that it was the server. However, my neighbor's Arlo is working. The rep said that the base stations work on location and that identifies the server. So I asked to send me s new base that is registered on to a working server. The rep told me that a new base would not fix the problem, again the base working connecting by location. Well i bought a new base to see if they were telling the truth, and guess what. They lied. a new base fixed the problem. So I loaded my old base up in the new and took it back to the store to get my money back. Arlo has been working on the "server problem for over a year...since 2014. They know there is an issue. I want to know why is it taking so long to fix this problem with servers, if that is really the issue and not the base???? Or are they telling us all it's a server problem to keep from owning up to it being a base problem and having to replace a massive number of bases? 

Thanks for your input. I am equally frustrated because it makes no sense. I will let it be for a few days and if it still does not work, I may follow your suggestion as a final option.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fjensen,

Are you still receiving a media server error?

JamesC

baileybrooks
Aspirant
Aspirant

my camera is doing the same thing. i just purchased the system. it worked for 1 day, now the live mode is stuck back a day ago and will not reconnect. i have rebooted, re added and everything,,,,,please help

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

baileybrooks wrote:

my camera is doing the same thing. i just purchased the system. it worked for 1 day, now the live mode is stuck back a day ago and will not reconnect. i have rebooted, re added and everything,,,,,please help

I will not be able to give much comfort. Netgear tech support telling me they are working on a solution, but nothing specific.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fjensen, baileybrooks

Are you receiving the error message "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server" or are you getting a different error? What do you mean by live mode is stuck? Please provide details of the issue you are having so we can help.

JamesC

wblakebaxter
Tutor
Tutor

I am receiving the same error. My camera is detecting motion (orange running man icon) but no video is recorded and no alerts are being sent. When I check the camera image in the Cameras menu, there is the error. It has been happening continuously for the last 4 days. The camera is useless like this . I started another thread in the support forum and received no repsonse. Arlo, this is very frustrating. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you may have noticed, we are experiencing issues with our cloud servers which may be slowing down reception of alerts and video recordings. Our engineers are working on the situation with urgency and things should be back to normal shortly. In the meantime, we apologize for any downtime you’re experiencing and want to let you know that we are working non-stop to address the issue.

Update:

A fix for this issue has been released and has significantly improved Arlo performance. However, a side effect you may currently experience is the alert counter on the camera screen disabled and set to 0. Resolving this counter issue and further optimizing Arlo performance is our number one priority at this time and Arlo engineers are working non-stop to resolve this. 

Please refer any additional comments on this issue to the following thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Email-Alerts-Video-Recordings-Not-Getting-or-Getti...

Thank you,

JamesC

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello, I have the same problem: The system worked totally fine from day 1 till today (had the system for about a month now). Since today, cameras detect motion (orange man), but no recording. I rebooted the base, took the batteries out the camera, resynced, retested, and every time the orange man shows up, then i get the error message "There was a problem establishing connection to the server". The live feed works. I contacted Arlo and opened a ticket. As per Arlo, base and cameras firmware is up to date. The issue is being escalated to next level as they are trying to figure out what's happening. Anyone else any idea what that may be? Thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Certainly not everyone's problem but I'm having big issues at the moment.  Tried cell service, rebooted whole network and computer, restarted my Q camera multiple times, speedtest.net can't display upload speeds, slow loading any pages on an site, etc. Turns out Time Warner is having issues:

http://downdetector.com/status/time-warner-cable/map/

It could be your ISP - worth checking on.

fjensen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nabbie wrote:

Hello, I have the same problem: The system worked totally fine from day 1 till today (had the system for about a month now). Since today, cameras detect motion (orange man), but no recording. I rebooted the base, took the batteries out the camera, resynced, retested, and every time the orange man shows up, then i get the error message "There was a problem establishing connection to the server". The live feed works. I contacted Arlo and opened a ticket. As per Arlo, base and cameras firmware is up to date. The issue is being escalated to next level as they are trying to figure out what's happening. Anyone else any idea what that may be? Thank you

Hi,

i have had this problem since the middle of December , I have had more than 50 written exchanges with tech support, they have my password so I presume they have tried to fix it. I have been on the phone with tech support while accessing the system.

the only reason why it is still here, is that I have not had the time to go back to Best Buy to return it.

I am sorry about not being more positive. The idea of the system is great, I would have loved it, if it had worked. It doesn't and it seems Netgear has no clue how to fix it.