Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Can't connect to media server" and "device failed to connect" error. Unable to view live.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bc3tech2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Numerous cameras + doorbell and none of them allow for "live viewing" reliably in app anymore. I still get alerts on motion, etc. and can view recordings but live view simply doesn't work. Attached is a sample of what I see in the browser/app when I try. Note all devices have good to excellent signal and the base station is *hard wired* into my router.

2021-11-01_10-26-14.png
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by moving your base away from your router as much as practical. If that doesn't help, bring a camera closer to the base to see if that helps. If so, it may be some wireless device near the base that could be interfering with the signal - check for new or moved devices that use the 2.4GHz band. 

It's also possible that removing everything from Settings, My Devices and starting fresh may help. If you do this, be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, schedule, etc. to speed the rebuild.

bc3tech2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Isn't that basically an admission that the signal strength indicator for the cameras is useless?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bc3tech2 wrote:

Isn't that basically an admission that the signal strength indicator for the cameras is useless?

This is a user forum. Neither @jguerdat nor I work for Arlo.  So we aren't "admitting" anything when we offer suggestions.

That said, IMO the signal strength indicator has some value, but it doesn't tell the entire story.  WiFi interference can still sometimes get in the way.  @jguerdat's suggestion might not do the trick, but it is the right thing to try next.